Geneva Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "ok"

Former Employee - Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Geneva Trading part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, a lot to learn

Cons

Low salary at start, nothing more

Advice to Management

Higher salary at start for motivation

Geneva Trading Response

Jul 12, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to know that you enjoyed the environment and were able to learn a lot. We appreciate your insight on the starting salary. Our trainee program is designed to... More

"Terrible place"

Former Employee - Quantitative Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Quantitative Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Geneva Trading (Less than a year)

Pros

The company and office do have a relaxed atmosphere which is nice. But that's about where the compliments end.

Cons

The pay structure is awful, starting with your own capital and having to stay afloat is crap. Not worth the time or energy. Better off working at a bank

Geneva Trading Response

Jun 2, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

While we always appreciate feedback and value transparency, we believe this review was been intended for another Chicago trading firm with a name very similar to ours. For example, the reviewer's... More

"Good Luck Interns"

Former Employee - IT Operations Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Operations Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Geneva Trading (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really good people in the tech department - knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to help and establish a relationship

Environment isn't too crazy as you have time to get your work done

Cons

Trial-by-fire type of "training" process

Not much time/resource investment in new talent/hires

Shadiness/Ambiguity as it pertains to job security and possible promotion

Terrible communication and transparency

Advice to Management

Invest in your interns. You can't expect to just throw them into this environment and let them fend for themselves, then release them without feedback, reason, or even a proper sendoff. Also, be up front and transparent once an intern's time with the company comes to an end. Terribly unprofessional in that regard.

"Pure opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Geneva Trading full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at Geneva for over 6 years. I've been afforded every opportunity to be successful, surrounded by people with great minds, work ethic and motivation. The mentorship I've received, starting fresh out of college up to this day, is unparalleled. The leadership is outstanding, focused, forthright, and honest. The skills of my team members are sick, successful, experienced traders and elite programmers.
    This industry is continually changing, and innovation has always been recognized and prioritized here.

Cons

If you're not focused or driven, you likely won't last here. There's no free rides. People are here to succeed, and if you're not engaged and willing to work hard every day, the people around you won't tolerate it.

"Fair to Analyst Roles"

Former Employee - Trader/Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trader/Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Geneva Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to great technology, excellent historical market data, collaborative environment if you are willing to care about the success of others, knowledgeable/experienced traders, quants and software developers are intelligent, openness to try new strategies, freedom to spend sometime on open ended research projects, fair compensation for entry level analysts.

Cons

Moral is a bit fickle, opaque prioritization scheme, political astuteness will positively bias your compensation.

Advice to Management

Although I was treated very well, my advice would be to be extremely cut and dry with traders/operators about the mapping of revenue generation to bonus (quarterly).

6. "Innovative environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Geneva Trading full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After working at Geneva Trading over 6 months now, there have been endless opportunities to learn and grow. The executives listen to new ideas and open to hear feedback consistently to improve current processes. Geneva has quite a bit of longevity amongst the senior leaders, so the resources are available when starting off. If you have the ability to work well independently, and also with small teams, Geneva would be a great place if interested in the trading industry.

Cons

Working at a proprietary firm where traders are trading independently, have no clients/not a whole lot of interaction amongst different groups, it can sometimes make it difficult to get everyone together for company outings/camaraderie. However, the effort to keep everyone happy and involved is definitely there and continuing to increase! The trading teams have passionate people who enjoy what they do, and that tends to rub off on each other.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire humble and hard-working individuals.

7. "Great place to learn, grow, and thrive"

Current Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Geneva Trading full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture is great, very friendly people willing to talk you through any ideas you have for profitable trading. Very flat organization so you can constantly have interactions with senior management. The company goes out of their way to make sure you're happy and in a place where you can be most productive.

Cons

I've had issues in the past, but the company is heading in a great direction from both a technology and talent perspective.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Things are looking bright.

8. "Trading at Geneva"

Former Employee - Senior Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Geneva Trading full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Love the people. No up-charges on transactions. Management is smart and forward thinking. Good pay-out scale. Quarterly pay-outs.

Cons

If you don't make any money for several consecutive months, you could be feasting on Ramen noodles.

9. "Was a great company to work for but environment/culture has changed over the past few years."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Geneva Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. You can really see the impact you have on the company. Good place to get experience. Superior trading platforms.

Cons

Not too much room for development/growth after a couple years. Not much training provided. Lack of communication throughout the company. Teams compete for resources.

Advice to Management

Invest more in employees. Communicate company goals and progress on a regular basis. Look at what some of your competitors are doing.

10. "Good place to start out"

Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

Pros

Work with smart people on a daily basis

Cons

Payout is not good. Very top heavy.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront with compensation Allow employees to run with ideas