Gengo Reviews

Updated Jan 21, 2021

3.2
Gengo CEO & Co-Founder Matthew Romaine (no image)
Matthew Romaine
Pros
  • "Translator-friendly platform and support, always on time payments, grate range of subjects to work on (perfect to get experienced)(in 14 reviews)

• "You can work from home, in my language pair they give you enough time to complete the job, pay is ok(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "translations will be reviewed by terrible reviewers and the system is harsh too(in 19 reviews)

• "Not so many jobs (depends on your language pair though)(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"translator"

I worked at Gengo part-time

Pros

People can translate at home

Cons

There are only few jobs

"Translator"

Current Employee - Translator

I have been working at Gengo part-time for more than a year

Pros

* You can choose to work whenever you want at wherever you want.

Cons

* Nearly not enough work to be even considered to be a side-job. Only think of working for them as a translator if you are already making enough money to pay your rent.

"A poorly managed company"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Gengo full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Motivated, smart co-workers who are passionate about what they do - Nice location in Tokyo - Good concept, easy to get behind

Cons

- Unfortunate management - mostly nice people, but inexperienced and not uniformly skilled to manage - COO is the single most terrible person I've ever worked with in my professional career before or since - Often there's a mismatch between the strengths of the service and customers sold, leading to operational headaches - Dev resources go to increasing sales, usually not improving core platform, leaving Operations teams with not enough tools to do their jobs well - Lack of diversity in leadership, especially gender

Continue reading

"If you have good foreign language skills in a language pair they need,, it's easy to get work with them."

Translator

I have been working at Gengo

Pros

Great flexibility, work from home, can take time off whenever you want. If you do good work consistently, customers will often choose you as a "favorite" translator, which means you get first crack at their assignments. I find their ratings system (your "grade" on your work) to be very fair on the whole. The company, of course, loves diversity: its translators work all over the world. So many languages, so many cultures! This company is also a reliable way to get the experience needed to do other translation work.

Cons

One downside is the fact that the pay is not great. However, they do all the work getting the jobs. You may also need to keep your schedule very loose; jobs come in at all hours of the day or night. The customer who needs the quick translation could be anywhere in the world, in any time zone. I often work in the middle of the night.

"graphic design"

I worked at Gengo

Pros

The art director is very nice and professional.

Cons

There was no cons during the time I worked there.

"Flexible work"

in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Gengo for less than a year

Pros

You can work anytime you have spare time from home.

Cons

Not enough tasks and kind of hard to grab a job on the dashboard.

7. "Easy work"

I have been working at Gengo

Pros

Work from home, get to work when you want. Good system built for translating.

Cons

There were not a lot of jobs available. You sometimes had to wait a few days before jumping on the first thing that came up.

8. "Ok"

Former Employee - Translator in Milan

I worked at Gengo part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, wide range of articles

Cons

Low salary, biased peer reviewers

9. "Great company"

5.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Student in Seoul

I have been working at Gengo part-time

Pros

Flexible with time, the workload is completely dependent on the individual

Cons

The translation jobs are extremely difficult to come by even with an RSS feeder

10. "Great place to learn, best avoided for high skill professionals"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo

I worked at Gengo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Talented team that is eager to learn, Complex platform which provides interesting challenges, Good work life balance.

Cons

Management consist of a very specific type of person, diversity is a value for lower level employees but not management. Asking questions can be perceived as an aggressive action towards the company. Low salaries for operations and sales.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 42 English Reviews