Genius Plaza Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 6, 2019

4.0
Ana Roca Castro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I am one of the recent hires of Genius Plaza and I feel that those interested in taking a peak behind the workings of this company should read this" (in 18 reviews)

• "Genius Plaza has a diverse work environment" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is a fast-paced environment and constantly evolving so you need to be someone who is flexible and can go with the flow" (in 8 reviews)

• "No work from home yet , which is really weird in tech but anything can happen in the future" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Growing Startup With A Mission To Work For"

Current Employee - Developer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Developer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Genius Plaza full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genius Plaza provides opportunities to help their employees grow as professionals and as individuals.

The company is very diverse and mission driven. Employees truly believe in the mission and work their best to make that mission happen.

Everyone is really great at working together and will lend a helping hand whenever needed. As a junior in my position, I feel that I have truly had the opportunity to grow here, ask for help when needed and help when I am needed. It truly is a community that cares about one another, professionally and individually. If you're feeling off, you can count on a co-worker popping by to try and brighten your day or help you fix a problem.

Teams are autonomous and have the ability to collaborate and help decide the best direction for their team.

Teams have begun to take on the SCRUM methodology and it seems to really be helping teams move forward, conquer obstacles and improve their work. I have seen that this has shown great improvement in team and individual moral and the ability to complete tasks, start to finish.

Being a startup, management is still easily available to its employees, which helps employees feel that they can make a difference because they are not disconnected from the everyday action.

Company provides education stipend to its employees which helps them to continuously improve and learn new skills. Employees are given opportunities at work to learn new skills on their own as well as with the help of their co-workers. There is also a loan assistance program which is helpful to those who took on student loans.

Lunch is provided at Friday meetings. There is a nursery room, and they are continuing to improve the meditation room. There is a ping-pong table and other games to take moments to de-stress and take time to recollect your thoughts or look at a problem from another angle.

There is a fair work-life balance and it is respected by management.

I truly feel that with the current direction we are moving in, the company has the opportunity to make an impact in the Miami Tech scene.

The company is willing to try different things to improve as it grows.

Cons

Being a startup, tasks and roles can change and you have to be willing to wear many hats. We are still growing and it comes with growing pains, but that is the case with any startup.

There isn't an option for a company 401K or work from home days.

Advice to Management

Referral Bonus

Opportunity to work from home

2. "Everyone's like a family"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Genius Plaza full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family like environment. If you ever need help just ask. I relocated here from a different state and I felt extremely welcomed. We are incredibly diverse yet respect and share memories with one another.

Office is in a great location.
    Friday meals
    Scrum implementation
    Learning Goal $
    Sick days
    Mission driven CEO
    They DO care about you and listen to your feedback.

It's a start up so you will have to adjust to things not being well executed in the past. BUT I can honestly this company is moving in the right direction.

Cons

No work from home yet , which is really weird in tech but anything can happen in the future.

The product teams are now starting to do things the right way - you might bump into things that are not what you are used too.

Advice to Management

Make work from home a thing

Keep up the good work with scrum

3. "Good Place to Learn"

I have been working at Genius Plaza full-time

Pros

good learning environment
    good people to work with

Cons

over loaded with tasks but progressively getting better

4. "A place to learn, grow and give back !"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Miami Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at Genius Plaza full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Positive people, constant challenges makes you multitask and learn new things about yourself as a professional every day (never a boring day).

- A global team, integrated by people from all continents! I love how diverse our team is and how much can I learn from other cultures every day.

- Positive programs like learning goals financial grant help you stay on the top of current technologies and improvements on your field.

- Opportunities for growth in every position and team.

- You make your career. If you are positive minded and half glass full kind of person, this will be a good fit for you.

Cons

- Startup fast-paced environment is not for everyone.

- Due to the fast changing industry we are in, goals change in the middle of a sprint and you need to adjust fast, not everyone is good at this.

- It's not precisely a con, but multitasking is a must! If you are easily stressed out by multitasking, might not be the right fit for you.

Advice to Management

There is always room for improvement so please :

- Bring back telework days! :)

-Keep improving the environment with more activity oriented rooms like the recently approved meditation room.

- Approve the proposal for videogame lounge... With the fast environment we have, we need more spaces for relaxation and creativity to bloom. (A study, published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NBCI) proves that video games In the workplace lower stress and increases productivity.

"Great startup to work for!"

I have been working at Genius Plaza full-time

Pros

I have been working at Genius Plaza for quite a while now and the experience has been good so far. It is a place where everyone is passionate about their work and is willing to collaborate in order to achieve the mission. We are given the freedom to experiment with our work, which means that new ideas are always encouraged. The company recently went through restructuring changes and has been doing very well since then. The company has introduced Scrum recently and I must say that it has streamlined all the tasks across the company. It is never a smooth ride for any startup to attain its goals and the mission, and Genius Plaza has not been an exception. However, if you look forward to working in a dynamic environment, adapting to different situations and solving difficult tasks, then Genius plaza is your choice.

A well nurtured work environment makes work fun at Genius Plaza!

Cons

Not many. I would say that Genius Plaza has come a long way, and there is more scope for improvement with regard to being more organized. Also, they should be more flexible with work from home days.

Advice to Management

401K plan would be a good addition to benefits.

"Culture is Everything Here"

I have been working at Genius Plaza full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seasoned professional who can say that:
    - The people here are the smartest and most humble people I've ever worked with
    - Employee centered Leadership
    - A mission that you can truly feel good about;
    - Agile work environment with clear aspirations towards the future
    - Inclusive and family like values
    - Transparency - you will always know how your doing.
    - Everyone is excited about the future of Genius Plaza
    - Great benefits (School loan repayment assistance, health insurance, personal development stipend, paid maternity leave)
    - Great compensation

Cons

The Miami office is not central to a variety of affordable lunch options. Subway is one block down and whole foods is three blocks down. If you don’t pack lunch you are likely to spend $15 a day on lunch.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the vision and hiring the right people to carry it out. The recent hires have been phenomenal!

"On the upswing"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Genius Plaza full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company mission/ vision is very appealing. It gives you a sense that you're not just writing code. Your code matters and could end up changing/improving a child's future for the better.

Cons

Going through growing pains so they have kinks to work out, process-wise. They need to get the right people in place to help improve what has been built. They are hiring to fill these needs. I'm sure they'll get better.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for excellence.

"Words that Resonate and Actions that have Meaning."

I have been working at Genius Plaza full-time

Pros

I am one of the recent hires of Genius Plaza and I feel that those interested in taking a peak behind the workings of this company should read this. The first day I stepped foot into Genius Plaza I had the privilege of being interviewed by the CEO. Now, why do I say “privilege” you might ask? Simple. In 2018 female start-up founders got a mere 2% of venture capital dollars. When you add “Latina" to that, the number becomes almost non-existent. So sitting in the same room across from a Latina woman who is currently paving the way for woman in leadership and in technology- well thats a big deal.

I will share that towards the conclusion of my interview she said to me “[y]ou will fail here, you will fail a lot, and here.. thats OK, this is a SAFE place to try and to fail! Just keep trying because you will be great”. Those words made me question everything I had known up until that point of my career-life. Could there really be a place that gives its employees the freedom to explore, the freedom to test, the freedom to be treated like an adult?

Now that I am settled into Genius Plaza, I can share with you all who read this that my days involve appreciative inquiry with my peers, collaboration and critical thinking. My days are spent alongside with peers who are genuinely happy to be here and who are actively working at making Genius Plaza the BEST company to work for. We (employees) walk into work with the POWER to make our day as meaningful as we choose. We leave work satisfied knowing we tried are best. So what happens tomorrow? We try HARDER! Not because someone is breathing down our back asking us to, but because this place is good to us and we owe it to the company and more importantly - - the children we are helping!

I do not enjoy coming to work, I absolutely love it.

Cons

I have no issues, but if I had to say one thing it would be.. The company doesn't not stock coca-cola in the communal fridge.

Advice to Management

Continue creating and striving for a learning organization. Perhaps use Andragogy as the lens to examine the topic because the framework of Andragogy with its core adult learning principles works well when it is adapted to fit the uniqueness of the learners and the learning situation.

"I work Here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Genius Plaza full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, Great place to work, Great atmosphere. I love coming to work. It's a bit of a commute but well worth it. No company is perfect. But working for one that is improving in it's flaws brings it closer to being the perfect company for me and others.

Cons

Every company has flaws if not we would be lying. My con is the parking situation.

Advice to Management

Listening then executing is the key to success.

"Great place to work and help change children's education"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Miami, FL

I have been working at Genius Plaza full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have great benefits, compared to the market in Florida. If you're the creative type, then this is the place for you. Since it's a start-up, there's a lot of room to be creative and spark. The company culture is awesome, we feel like part of a large family. We are happy to help each other out and try new things. Every day you have new challenges that only help you grow as a professional and individual. The management team is pretty helpful overall. They invest money on fun activities for their employees and overall it feels pretty cool to come to work.

Cons

As a start-up, it has had ups and downs, which also involved restructuring the business methodology a few months ago. Nonetheless, after that restructuring, now things are way much better. The internal communication has improved tremendously.

Advice to Management

Continue improving internal communication because it helps us to be engaged. There will always be negative people around, especially when you are trying to do good to others. Keep providing growth opportunities to your current employees and believing in us.