Genomic Health Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Genomic Health President & CEO Kim Popovits
Kim Popovits

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, decent pay and benefits, good work/life balance, stable revenues (in 10 reviews)

• Good culture, fun team, good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • less 401k match, salary not satisfactory (in 7 reviews)

• Disconnect between "upper management" and CS management - CS management seems to rarely get what they ask for (in 5 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Department Needs Work, But Wonderful People"

I worked at Genomic Health as a contractor

Pros

Co-workers are the best part about this job, individuals really care about giving customers the best experience possible, and there's plenty to do, so you'll rarely get bored. Management within Customer Service (CS) is very good, for the most part. CS is mostly comprised of young people, so there's a lot of energy in the department. Subsidized lunch - you can get a beautiful salad for cheap.

Cons

Near the end of the quarter, sometimes there's "mandatory" overtime (but usually meals are included those days). Disconnect between "upper management" and CS management - CS management seems to rarely get what they ask for. The department is very understaffed, which causes all sorts of wrist and hand problems for accessioners. There's a lot of turnover - you'll find CS is a stepping stone where everyone wants to either become a supervisor, change departments, or go back to school. It's surprisingly difficult to become a full-time employee from being a contract/temp. They will pick their already full-time employees in other jobs over temps the majority of the time, even though temps are trained almost identically to full-time. Not a good job for night/evening people - shifts run for 8.5 hours in between 5:30am-5pm, but if you're a morning person it's great!

Advice to Management

Value your temps! CS is about a lot more than just time to answer the phone and abandonment rate. Work on your social media presence, and beware of Guardant Health down the street trying to poach workers.

2. "Great Interview"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Genomic Health as a contractor

Pros

The interviewers were nothing short of amazing. Down to earth, very smart individuals who I am lucky to have met and hopefully will be working with.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of.

Advice to Management

N/A

"One of the best company I have worked for in my career"

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the department, there can be great flexibility in when and where you work. The corporate culture is very positive, and as employees you feel the company cares about what you think and feel. You have ownership of your work and are given a lot of freedom to take on new roles and responsibilities.

Cons

Because the work culture is very collaborative, sometimes it goes overboard and decisions can't be made without consulting many many people.

Advice to Management

Don't have double standards, lead by example in following company policies. If asking departments to cut budget don't turn around and spend unnecessary money elsewhere.

"Revamped development team management structure"

I worked at Genomic Health as a contractor

Pros

Had just rolled out a successfully revamped organizational structure to bring Core Team management approach to projects. Project managers came to play key role in product development.
    Great to work with motivated, intelligent coworkers. Able to feel that one is participating in exciting and important work. Culture shows great sensitivity to patient experience and making a difference.

Cons

Rolling out a revamped team approach meant change for many established teams....and change is often met with resistance.

5. "Good cause, struggling with execution"

Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can be proud of what we do
    Good work life balance

Cons

Results are not the priority. Mediocre results are accepted.
    Project management, setting priorities, etc is a mess.

"GHI is a fast-paced, exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Educational, friendly, positive, motivating, encouraging,

Cons

Not for the faint of heart--extremely fast-paced all the time--a bit unbalanced when it comes to life/work balance though taking breaks, taking on-campus courses, and taking advantage of health-minded activities is encouraged and promoted.

Mar 8, 2017 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to do a review and recognizing our positive culture.

7. "Work Atmosphere"

Pros

Great atmosphere and great people to work with

Cons

There can be some office politics involved when getting promoted

8. "Overall B+ / A-"

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time

Pros

Culture is outstanding and people are terrific

Cons

The red tape is being built faster than the business

Advice to Management

cut through the red tape to continue scaling

Jan 30, 2017 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks very much for taking the time to do a review. We appreciate your candid feedback and recognizing our amazing culture. As we grow, we definitely need to minimize red tape to keep people... More

"Almost Had It"

I worked at Genomic Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This organization has an AMAZING product that is easy to stand behind.
    At least while I was there, I felt the pay was above average and the benefits were more than fair. There were some extras such as fruit at the start of the week, onsite dry cleaning pick-up and I want to say, monthly "happy hour" onsite.
    They're in a great location, right in Redwood City makes it easy to get to from many cities in the greater Bay Area.
    Woman at the helm!

Cons

Your experience as an employee is only as good as your manager. Ensure that you're not swept away by all the shinny objects in front of you while interviewing. It's imperative that you get a gut feeling that it's a good fit with your hiring manager. HR isn't any better since that's where it all starts.
    And at least in my experience, "open door policy" is only for show; words they say without meaning them.

Advice to Management

Clean up your act in HR and it may trickle down. There's is such an opportunity for GHI to be an outstanding company.

Dec 12, 2016 – Sr. Director Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review! Feedback is a gift and we appreciate your input. We strive to create a meaningful experience for each employee. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

"Histology - Great Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genomic Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Histology Team is made up of very talented individuals, has a great team culture and Management Team is very nice and professional. We're very patient focused and provide great quality work. There are lots of opportunities for everyone to be engaged in goal projects in addition to the routine histology work to expand knowledge level and collaborate with others in the team. Also, what make the department so very special is the continued education series provided by histology team members, webinars or by our own doctors. In summary: it's a great department with a very positive team!

Cons

It's a large department and people who struggle to work in team environment could be challenged to adapt to the team culture in this department. Histology is constantly progressing and expectations are high, which could be challenging for someone who is only used to routine histology work and doesn't adapt easily to change or is not very flexible to changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to be innovative to stay competitive in the market!