Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Still kickin"

Current Employee - Associate Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cutting-edge science
    Great people, amazing culture
    Good benefits

Cons

Very few promotions
    Bureaucracy creeping in
    Budget constrains hinder work

Advice to Management

Emphasize rewarding great people. Fight for a better budget specifically to be able to keep your best people here and happy.

"Scientist II"

Current Employee - Scientist II in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist II in La Jolla, CA

Pros

Great science. Tons of smart people and access to cutting edge technology. Our robotics and screening are second to none. Things get done very quickly here and management does a good job making sure we have all the reagent/technology we need (although headcount per project is lower than other sites).

Cons

Average promotion cycle is once every ten years. Very little upward career growth potential if you do not have a PhD. Expect to be overworked if you apply here.

Advice to Management

Provide feedback to executive management and let them know there is too much bureaucracy. The MBA corporate nonsense slows us scientists down!

"Underpaid"

Former Employee - Scientist I in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist I in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The facility has a nice location, has a decent cafeteria, has covered parking if you can find a space ....................................

Cons

You will be underpaid and not receive stock options as a new employee, Human Resources will only listen to your supervisor and not consider you, since you are basically a replaceable commodity to them.

4. "Great Science but needs work"

Current Employee - Scientist I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

These are amazing scientists and the science done here is bada$$
    Benefits are good
    Collaborative environment
    Most managers and all directors support personal growth

Cons

Communication isn't very transparent
    Can be difficult to get promoted
    Pays way less than other NIBR sites
    Less benefits than other NIBR sites
    Some project leaders don't allow personal growth

Advice to Management

Block employees from seeing glass door so they don't see salaries at other NIBR sites.

5. "Scientist 2 position"

Current Employee - Scientist II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (Less than a year)

Pros

Great science going on. Knowledgeable scientists to work around. Great work-life balance

Cons

People around me say the pay could be better. I come from a different perspective so I am biased and think it is fair wages. Ask me again in 5 years.

Advice to Management

My team is great and pressure is reasonable. No specific complain about it. Transparency policies are in place.

"On the Fence"

Current Employee - Scientific Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Scientific Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

Amazing opportunity to learn and collaborate within the institute. Fantastic science and great people to work with.

Cons

Little training for lower level associates, hard to get promoted and recognized for hard work and dedication even with proven results. Very poor management in many areas and although the company promotes mentoring it is hardly transparent. I see lots of frustration in the lower ranks.

Advice to Management

Some people should not be allowed to manage others. they are often too critical, do not listen when approached and form opinions based on nonsense. Too many people are unhappy and are intimidated by upper management and are in fear of repercussions.

"Great learning experience"

Current Employee - Medicinal Chemistry Intern in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Medicinal Chemistry Intern in La Jolla, CA

Pros

This was my first time interning at a large pharma company and the older scientists were very willing to show me the ropes of how to use unfamiliar machinery. Probably learned more during my time here than I did in a year of college.

Cons

DIdn't have too much chance to interact with other interns outside of break times, which didn't always coincide due to the unpredictable nature of planning chemical reactions.

Advice to Management

This program for interns is a great learning experience, keep it up. Only thing to improve is the visibility of these internships to students. I only found this opportunity after searching online for a long time, and the hiring manager asked me to let any friends in my program know about the position also. Improving publicity could help.

8. "Scientific Associate in training"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge research with cutting edge technology. This is the best of medical research, where very talented engineers, chemists, and biologists converge into many disciplines that some bleed into each other. A lot of great collaboration between departments are frequent

Cons

I don't have a lot of bad to say about GNF. The bosses I've had are actually very well rounded, and they keep you busy, but not a work horse (unless you can handle it)

"Stable Job, good benifits, but hard to advance."

Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

~ cutting edge science
    ~ brilliant people
    ~ certain aspects of work and culture are more like "Academic"
    ~ reasonable goals and timelines
    ~ pretty good work/life balance, there are beer/wine socials monthly and several annual events for employees. Most people roll in around 9-10am and the lots are clear by 4. Its a ghost town by 3pm on Fridays. Managers and supervisors are understanding of family needs and there is a general culture of allowing people to live their lives before work.
    ~ bistro food is well subsidized so daily lunches cost $4 on average.
    ~ excellent 401K match, 9%?!?!? and it goes up as you age.

Overall, GNF is a great place to coast. There are many "lifers" who are great at their job, very helpful, and pleasant to work with. I don't think anyone is ever worried about losing their job, or stressed about the hours. Its a good, stable place to work.

Cons

~ It seems hard to earn a promotion. Even with immaculate reviews...
    ~ the digital lab notebook system is a joke. Its molasses slow and half baked.
    ~ GNF can feel like the stepchild of the larger Novartis Org. They have made improvements, but overall its still detached.
    ~ The detachment is really felt on the IT and HR level. Core web services are totally silo-ed across several confusing platforms. Its a running joke amongst employees how hard it is to remember all their passwords and ID's. Most keep them written down on paper or in text files.
    ~ enough with the online self training already
    ~ salary is not entirely competitive but that can be very subjective depending on your department.
    ~ pointless initiatives that don't bear any fruit. They only serve to pacify justifiable employee concerns, but they don't actually ever address anything tangibly.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain promising younger talent, promote them...Period. 1-3% a year is not a raise, that's inflation. Some people seem to earn serial promotions in back to back years and others seem to stagnate. Not a whole lot of transparency in what drives that....

"Scientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good open environment, nice buildings with great architecture

Cons

Some managers tend to hire their own buddies and promote within their exclusive circle/club. Extremely hard if possible to get promotions!

Advice to Management

Learn to treat each employee fairly and give them equal opportunity for advancement and promotion.