Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation Director Martin Seidel
Martin Seidel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Scientific Associate II"

Current Employee - Scientific Associate II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Scientific Associate II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Level of collaboration is very high. Want to learn different cell culturing techniques? Great! You can learn! Want to learn different in-vivo techniques or animal models? You can learn.

Cons

Not sure yet, but will update this.

2. "good place to work overall"

Pros

good scientists and interesting projects

Cons

corporate and large company run by novartis

"Underneath the surface, a strikingly poor environment."

Pros

Tragically, pros are few and praise is faint. This place has so much potential.

Not a place where overtly poor behaviors are tolerated.

Cons

1) Conflict aversion and avoidance is high, masking an extremely blame oriented culture and promoting a systemic lack of accountability (interpersonal and even technical).

The culture here is so bad that even employees who have been around for more than a decade are not confident to draw lines with others in simple matters like accidental invasion of personal space lest they 'get in trouble'. This chills speech and even the most diplomatic of feedback site-wide.

Almost Stepford-Wife level of even tempered behavior is expected and enforced through the performance review/bonus payout.

2) Poor accountability in lower management

Due to #1, it would seem management must operate with an unusual lack of candor, sabotaging their efforts. You can't manage effectively (up or down) if your environment punishes candidness.

3) Site seems poorly funded, with related technical and interpersonal consequences.

Advice to Management

It is the opposite of leadership to allow blame to accrue on the permanently least powerful people in the structure. It is too much to ask to do that and then demand a happy face from the recipient. That is not the kind or considerate environment GNF clearly aspires to.

Pivot moderately, and cultivate more of a culture of accountability/anti-blame on all levels (provide conflict tolerance training/support if necessary).

If you truly, truly don't want disgruntled subordinates, integrate the PhD and non-PhD advancement ladders. Other companies do it without issue.

The PhDs here are great and do not require ceilings on others to protect their ability to perform, lead, or advance. Embrace the diversity of background, circumstance, values, personality, and thought that come with a choice to pursue or not pursue a PhD. Many of us train at the bench doing the same work the same number of years anyways. Value differences, not hazing.

Bottom to top ability to rise in responsibility and power characterizes all the great companies historically, extinguishes resentment, and promotes considerate treatment of subordinates. Right now, a non-PhD subordinate will never pass a manager on the ladder, so there is no incentive for a manager to restrain inconsiderate behavior and no consequence. In the current structure, there never will be.

"Still kickin"

Current Employee - Associate Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cutting-edge science
    Great people, amazing culture
    Good benefits

Cons

Very few promotions
    Bureaucracy creeping in
    Budget constrains hinder work

Advice to Management

Emphasize rewarding great people. Fight for a better budget specifically to be able to keep your best people here and happy.

5. "yes"

Pros

good benefits
    helpful staff
    lots to do

Cons

slow to promote
    salary is on the low end

"Scientist II"

Current Employee - Scientist II in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist II in La Jolla, CA

Pros

Great science. Tons of smart people and access to cutting edge technology. Our robotics and screening are second to none. Things get done very quickly here and management does a good job making sure we have all the reagent/technology we need (although headcount per project is lower than other sites).

Cons

Average promotion cycle is once every ten years. Very little upward career growth potential if you do not have a PhD. Expect to be overworked if you apply here.

Advice to Management

Provide feedback to executive management and let them know there is too much bureaucracy. The MBA corporate nonsense slows us scientists down!

7. "Management sometimes thinks highly of and trumpets mediocre ideas"

Pros

Good science and have some very talented and motivated people

Cons

Benefits such as stock grants are shared only by management above certain rank and does not trickle down to the associates. Upper management is trying to be innovative but sometime doesn't have ideas.

Advice to Management

Management should invest in training managers in how to mentor and review their associates.

"Great Science but needs work"

Current Employee - Scientist I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

These are amazing scientists and the science done here is bada$$
    Benefits are good
    Collaborative environment
    Most managers and all directors support personal growth

Cons

Communication isn't very transparent
    Can be difficult to get promoted
    Pays way less than other NIBR sites
    Less benefits than other NIBR sites
    Some project leaders don't allow personal growth

Advice to Management

Block employees from seeing glass door so they don't see salaries at other NIBR sites.

"Underpaid"

Former Employee - Scientist I in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist I in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The facility has a nice location, has a decent cafeteria, has covered parking if you can find a space ....................................

Cons

You will be underpaid and not receive stock options as a new employee, Human Resources will only listen to your supervisor and not consider you, since you are basically a replaceable commodity to them.

10. "Scientist 2 position"

Current Employee - Scientist II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (Less than a year)

Pros

Great science going on. Knowledgeable scientists to work around. Great work-life balance

Cons

People around me say the pay could be better. I come from a different perspective so I am biased and think it is fair wages. Ask me again in 5 years.

Advice to Management

My team is great and pressure is reasonable. No specific complain about it. Transparency policies are in place.