Genova Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 10, 2017

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dawn Ainger

1. "Great place to work just got better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Genova Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, serious permanent position serving as contract engineering for a large agricultural company. SW Scrum teams, state of the art. CAN automotive adapted to agricultural applications. Give plenty of time to learn for someone coming from an avionics background.

I am a Systems Engineer (SW Systems Engineer) managing CAN database change artifacts for three types of CAN messages: CAN, DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) and DA (Diagnostic Address). This is for three different combine programs, with each having 4 to 12 control units, each with their own computer. Some of the change requests for CAN, DTC and DA are challenging, but normally the work flows is very good and high. 200 change requests are submitted and verified in a year's period. These all have varying degrees of difficulty.

Work remotely with a team of 3 SW Systems Engineers who are collocated. Assigned to one SW Systems Engineer who serves as my mentor. The mentor is not my supervisor or manager, so the mentorship is purely technical. One on one OJT (On the Job Training) with mentor.

We just had a major remodeling of the building which was done in conjunction with renewing the lease. The workers did major demolition work and frame work on weekends and when we were on break. Great working environment, especially now. Other people are happy with their work as I am. There are 3 dozen SW engineers and 7 support staff.

Activities are planned during the work day so that peers do not just have a working relationship but also a social relationship.

Cons

Drive once a week, not every week, to where the SW Systems Engineers are. It does good to have some face time with them as well as other SW Engineers for whom the CAN database requests come from. Three hour commute during which work is not done, but this is paid time (as well as mileage). Work with remote SW Engineers in India as well. Have to contact them at the very beginning of my day. Of course this is prime time for them to be involved in meetings with the SW Team members who also need to communicate with them at that time as well. This is more an issue some of the time vs. all of the time.

One on one mentorship is ad hoc and not scheduled. Some small things may take two months to learn.

Advice to Management

Some times this one on one with my mentor can be challenging. There is a little drama involved, but it does not happen very often. Do not get much feedback on how the person is doing. Just keeping my pipeline of work full and coming up with extra work to fill in the differences in Christmas break time offs gives a certain amount of feedback.

The remote working situation also lends itself to a desirement for perfect written communication.

2. "Very good software engineering company"

I have been working at Genova Technologies full-time

Pros

Great place to develop skills while working with great people.

Cons

No complaints with the company.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

I have been working at Genova for three months.

I have a disability and have found Genova to be extremely accommodating and willing to go the extra mile to help me with any issues that I may have. Management has been extremely willing to work with my limitations.

Genova truly values employee diversity and building relationships with its employees, its prospective employees/candidates, and its customers.

I am extremely happy with my salary/compensation plan.

Cons

None! The company is great and I wouldn't change a thing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "Software Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Genova Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genova is a "smaller feel" Woman Owned Small Business, with a real family atmosphere. A very strong work ethic by all the staff and teams. Very stable client base with a lot of repeat, scheduled work and backlog. Very stable.
    All the management is very accessible. Good communications on plans and forecasts to entire company.
    Midwest pay rates, great benefits and flexibility.

Cons

Midwest pay rates, but very stable work environment.
    Local deployments sometimes needed when working on some development teams
    Management tends to focus on "staffing customers" more than developing long-term project/program customers and opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.
    Would like to see a more diverse customer base.
    Perhaps a more aggressive training/development program for your employees to encourage and reward skills development.

6. "Excellent Company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Genova Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sr. management and leadership knew my and appreciated my talents and rewarded my efforts. Relatively flat organization so I could get issues to the appropriate level of management quickly. Office culture is typical for a small business and decisions are made pretty quickly.

Cons

None. I will carry the values of Attitude, Aptitude, and Integrity with me for the rest of my life. Perks were good, compensation good.

Advice to Management

Continue as you've been doing where you care about the employees, and let them know you care. Reward them for their efforts and forgive them for minor failings. Continue to act as a family.

"If you work here get a lawyer"

I worked at Genova Technologies full-time

Pros

Projects vary in level of interest, some are interesting and some are not.
    Benefits adequate, health and time off.

Cons

Legal expenses. For a small business Genova seems to love to threaten or pursue suing past and leaving employees. I heard about this in passing before I worked for them, but did not give it much notice. I have been personally threatened with a letter from their lawyer, they seem to try to take the stance that their employees cannot work within the industry they have already been working in. Off course this should not stand up in any State, but the threat of legal bills for individuals trying to make a living is very intimidating and life impacting. After this happened to me it was not very hard to find a slew of past Genova employees that have gone through the same emotional and financial strife inflicted by Genova management. Many threatened and some entangled in legal battles ($$$).

Genova has now gone as far a trying to make unwitting employees sign an employee agreement that bans them from not only working in the broad Federal health IT industry, but for working for specific companies.

Outlook for the company seems to be stagnant, maybe that is why management is scared, however they seem to have been trying to sue people for many years now. The list of former employees involved in legal battles with Genova seems to go back a number of years. I would create a legal defense fund and employees sued by Genova support group, but I am
    afraid of being sued by Genova.

Advice to Management

Stop bully employees that provided services to your company for a pay check and career development. You do not own them or have the right to intimidate them out of your own fears or insecurities about your business.

8. "Genova Technologies, Inc."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Windsor Mill, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Windsor Mill, MD

I have been working at Genova Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No backbiting among personnel. Flexible and fluid work environment. Team spirit exists in the company.

Cons

Uses bad judgement with personnel decisions. Don't always do what's best for the company based on personal valuations rather than merit. Uneven distribution of opportunity for the staff. Has preference for contractors rather than employees.

Advice to Management

Market the company more. Make sure to stay in touch with the tends in information technology.

9. "A company to avoid"

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Genova Technologies as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly good hourly rates for contractors.

Cons

No communications, and dishonest managers.

Advice to Management

Stop lying.

"Lack of Communication - Incompetent / Dishonest Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Genova Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing positive to say.

Cons

Management does not communicate with employees at all. There is a fair amount of improper conduct going on around the office and management is either blind or ignores it.

The office is in a very dangerous area where you need to be escorted to and from your car. Gang fights have been reported on the property as well as one recent car jacking in the parking lot.

Advice to Management

Dishonesty in the workplace is not a business builder.

11. "Small company feel with growth"

Pros

Genova is growing. Frig full of pop. They're open to learning new tech. I like the fact they build relationships with their clients.

Cons

I have no complaints with Genova