Genscape Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Genscape CEO Matthew Burkley
Matthew Burkley

Pros
  • The unique culture makes Genscape a fun and ideal work environment (in 11 reviews)

• The culture, the people, work-life balance, interesting work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Knowing that the Company is just completing its tenth year, some growing pains can be expected (in 4 reviews)

• Company is stuck in old and dying technology; a prevailing work harder, not smarter culture; very slow & bureaucratic mentality for small company (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Genscape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The collaborative, relaxed atmosphere makes for a great working environment.

Cons

This might not be a fit if lots of structure is important to you.

2. "Great Summer Internship"

Former Employee - Product Development Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Development Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

Fun company outings, hands-on experience, catered lunches, involved upper management, great on-boarding process.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

3. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Genscape (More than a year)

Pros

Fun culture, busy days, great atmosphere, smart people

Cons

Low salary, difficult hours, lack of professional growth opportunities

5. "Talented Team and Growing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Genscape full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Genscape is a group is highly talented employees who are passionate and driven. Company perks are great/abundant and company actually cares about their people. Fun work environment and team oriented feel, not a lot of unnecessary hierarchy which allows for constant innovation and entrepreneurial thinking is encouraged. Overall, there really aren't a lot of companies out there who possess these qualities- they may say they do but Genscape actually lives and breathes it.

Cons

Growing pains. Genscape is in a different place than when it was just a 40 mill company. Now that they are larger, they need to constantly think of what took us here, won't get us there. What is great, Genscape has kept their people oriented feel to the business. That has never changed and never.

Advice to Management

Communication needs to be constant. Keep your grounded feel and style. Open door policy is felt and well received.

"Been here a year and plan on making it more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

I'm coming up on 1 year and I have no complaints at all. When Genscape took me in, my knowledge for what I do in my field wasn't at it's best, but it was something that my team today now knew they could work with. With them helping me, I was able to learn so much in just a short period of time. With the employee-base, there is a ton of users to support and it's great to be able to help each and everyone one of them when needed. The people in the company are extremely friendly and very open to suggestions and change. Technology is growing everyday and the same follows with Genscape. The company is very good at keeping up to the latest technologies around so we don't fall behind. Overall, the way the company treats its employees has been a great!

Cons

I feel the salary could be a little better, but to be fair, this was my first actual full-time job out of college and my experience wasn't top notch. Other than that, I have nothing bad to say about Genscape!

Advice to Management

Treatment towards employees is crucial and I feel like I'm treated as an equal, which really makes me perform better. The other thing that I love is the opportunities we're given to take on new projects and help improve the company as a whole. I feel most other companies would entrust these kind of projects to more senior team members, but not Genscape. If you're up for it, they will allow you to work on the project, while one of the senior members of the team assists and guides you. As for my team specifically, the manager does not only makes you feel like a valuable member of the team, but he also does some of the same tasks that we do. It makes it feel like we're more of a team and that we're all on the same level.

7. "R and D Intern"

Former Employee - R & D Intern in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - R & D Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at Genscape (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture. Friendly colleagues and quite a few good projects.

Cons

Salary is not competitive. Even for internship, it was on the lower mark.

"Great place to work in Louisville"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Genscape full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Nature of the work is very interesting
    - Entreprenuerial spirit and there is lots of opportunity to create your own path and develop ideas
    - Top notch colleagues - energy, intelligence, technical experience
    - Numerous locations in great spots (Boston, Boulder, Houston, Amsterdam, Hamburg, London) with opportunity to travel and collaborate
    - Employee diversity, people from all walks of life
    - Plenty of perks, fun activities and social events

Cons

- Confusing management structure; overly complex for a small company
    - Lack of structured career path and defined advancement opportunities
    - Progress in technology

9. "Research and Development Scientist/ Data Scientist"

Former Employee - Research and Development Scientist/Data Scientist in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Genscape (Less than a year)

Pros

Start up culture, Work life balance, Friendly people, always supporting, Innovative work environment

Cons

I dont see any cons in Genscape.

"Great people, fascinating work and fun environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The company has totally unique technology and is on the cutting edge of providing data and intelligence to energy markets. As a result, the staff are analytical and entrepreneurial, but also very fun and generally interested in the work. Overall it's a great place to work - the people are excellent, the work is challenging and there are tons of opportunities for advancement. Management is focused on investing in the business and while the company feels like an agile start up, it has the support of a much larger company.

Cons

Like any company experiencing rapid growth, there are sometimes some growing pains. There can be ambiguity around roles and responsibilities. Also, the company is spread out across many offices which makes collaboration somewhat challenging.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to fix IT systems to enable better collaboration across offices. Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing.

11. "Genscape development"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Louisville, KY

I worked at Genscape full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

interesting problems, great work environment, smart people, great perks

Cons

IT management biased towards Microsoft solutions, platform services group in Boston makes many key decisions that affect the company without input from other groups

Advice to Management

don't forget what made this company great! flexible technology decisions, respecting input from developers, don't make decisions in committee then force decisions upon the working staff