Gensler Architectural Designer Reviews | Glassdoor

Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
  1. "Architectural Intern"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer Intern in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Gensler

Pros

The environment, culture, people, and office design is impeccable. The various studios offer a wide range of opportunities for interns to learn and gain exposure. The lunch seminars, Design Center events and vendor meetings offer a constant networking and learning experience. The summer intern project allows interns to further research and gain full access to the resources that Gensler has to offer.

Cons

Trying to balance studio work and the summer retail project can be tough, but it is manageable.

Advice to Management

Definitely use your calendar to set up meetings and coordinate with your team for deadlines and delieverables.

Gensler2016-09-27
  2. "interior design"

Current Employee - Interior Architectural Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

Equal opportunities employer,great work place and life balance

Cons

never experienced a downside at gensler

Advice to Management

keep on the good work

Gensler2016-09-14
  3. "Great firm to start a career."

Former Employee - Senior Architectural Designer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Gensler for more than 4 years

Pros

High level collaboration, reasonable compensation, generally good decent people to work with.

Cons

I did not experience any significant negative situations.

Advice to Management

N/A

Gensler2016-08-27

"Work Hard Party Hard"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

This office has great people working here who are talented and really nice. The office is kept very clean, there's lots of opportunity for growth. We work on a lot of diverse projects some of which I've thought were really impactful.There are lots of "Team Building" exercises and off-site Happy Hours as well. This group knows how to party.

Cons

Some people have brown-nosed their way up and they really are terrible people to work with. Some are egotistical, others are indecisive, some are just plain mean. Hopefully, you don't have to experience working with them. We've lost quite a few people due to them.

Advice to Management

The management here really needs to figure out who can handle and who deserves to be in a leadership role. There are some managers in this office who really shouldn't be there. They also lack talent so I wonder how they got there.

Gensler2016-04-06

"Job at Gensler"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gensler for more than 2 years

Pros

Good thing is that it's a big company so you can theoretically do anything that you're interested in

Cons

Staffing is extremely political and unless you really speak up, you will be assigned what to do without you having any say

Advice to Management

I would like for them to have some sort of management degree. Yes, this is architecture, but we are still a business, and business is not only about keeping the client happy, it's about keeping your employees happy. It seems like most management at Gensler does not have a business degree, and therefore is inept at properly staffing their talents in the appropriate way, causing frustration and long hours for their employees.

Gensler2016-04-26
  6. "Good place to advance"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gensler

Pros

Teamwork is great Salary is competitive

Cons

competitive attitudes of staff long hours

Gensler2016-03-31

"Design Giant"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in Washington, DC

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

opportunities to see a lot of different projects. They really do try to innovate for clients and change the way architecture is practiced

Cons

like other reviewers might say, low pay for long hours. depending on where you are in the firm, moving up and moving around is difficult. they don't always care about your personal goals

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach about giving people opportunities to meet their career goals

Gensler2016-03-05

"great benefits, lots of overtime"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working here, the company gives a lot of education opportunities and some of the projects are exciting.

Cons

Overtime work, lots of drafting time , not everyone gets design opportunity

Gensler2016-02-20

"Not positive"

Current Employee - Interior Architectural Designer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

In DC, the only firm with enough interesting work besides Baranes. Some very talented people, a couple of really grest designers, but somewhat wasted. Nice physical space.

Cons

No design culture. All about making money. Really poor pay. Leadership is oblivious to talent around them. Some of the clients are really horrible.

Advice to Management

Remember why most people go into this profession (hint: it isn't about 401k's and revenue streams).

Gensler2016-02-29

"Happy, but Conservative Culture"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in Houston, TX

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

This is the happiest architecture firm at which I've ever worked. The compensation and hours are great, and there is emphasize on community through company-sponsored happy hours and weekly studio meetings. It is possible to have your design ideas heard, even as a young designer. There are many smart, talented, driven architects who put their egos aside and are interested in collaborating to make great projects.

Cons

Gensler Houston is NOT a good environment for female architects. There are few female leaders and the women seem to be the first to go in layoffs. Women are often overlooked for design roles and some male principals just simply don't work with women. The percentage of women in architecture positions (not interiors, marketing, or business) at Gensler Houston is significantly lower than even the industry standard. I...

Advice to Management

Recognize that there is gender discrimination occurring and take measures to ensure that it does not continue. Speak with leadership and only promote open-minded individuals. It's unacceptable and needs to be addressed immediately.

Gensler2015-11-23

Gensler Response

December 4, 2015Gensler Response

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We find it incredibly valuable! It was great to hear that you enjoyed our culture and our emphasis on community. It was also nice to hear that you think Gensler is the "happiest architecture firm!" We're open to feedback ...

Found 41 reviews