Gensler Architectural Designer Reviews | Glassdoor

Gensler CEO Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins

"architecture"

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

encouragement, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement,

Cons

low income, similar project, low income, similar project, low income, similar project, low income, similar project,

Gensler2013-04-24

"It is corporate design for corporate clients. Not a lot design or creativity. Keep it clean lines and of the book spec."

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Great learning programs and knowledge stuff.

Cons

No back bone for Design direction. Just make client happy.

Advice to Management

They need to pay more attention to existing employees, rather then look for new hire

Gensler2013-04-04

"The g.PDP"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gensler

Pros

The ability to work with teams and various levels of expertise and experience is invaluable. You learn more in one day at work than several years at any university. Gensler affords the opportunity to expand your knowledge and to be exposed to various types of projects.

Cons

Its a very large firm, so it takes more effort to stand out amongst the rest. If moving ahead at Gensler was based on knowledge, performance, and the potential to grow that would be amazing. More often than not, its who you work with directly that puts in a good word for you in order to move up this corporate ladder...

Advice to Management

Mentor the junior/intermediate designers so that they may be able to fill your shoes in 10-15 years. Managemnet is something that needs to be instilled and trained early on, so that it enables the designers to integrate budget and staffing seemlessly into design processes.

Gensler2008-11-06
  4. "Work Experience in Our company."

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in New Delhi

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

No Doubt, Gensler is one of the best place to work with. Our Approach to design experience is totally innovative. It's interesting to collaborate with experienced designers and big clients.

Cons

A designer is technically sound then he / she can't design any more. A designer does not understand the technical and detailing or even materiality or even can't architectural software. Now they will be called as designer.

Advice to Management

Regular confidential feedback from every one will be good. Which ever common among others that's really a problem.

Gensler2019-03-19

Gensler Response

March 19, 2019Gensler Response

Wow! Thanks for the terrific feedback on your experience at Gensler. We love to hear from our people and are thrilled to hear such great things from you.

5. "Strong firmwide culture based on collaboration, and focus on continuing professional development."

Current Employee - Senior Architectural Designer in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Large knowledge and expertise base for almost all practice areas, as the firm is so large. Can reach out to network of 5000 colleagues all across the globe.

Cons

The day to day projects can be sometimes mundane. Or, you get the opportunity to try inventive ideas that get killed by lack of client vision or inability to fully realise design idea due to overcompromised details at the construction level. Client base is often conservative and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Need to contribute to supporting brave design ideas without interfering with its development. Excessive overtime and inefficiency with inter team communication and understanding an ongoing issue. Need to target better clients to raise the level of work.

Gensler2018-08-11
  6. "Not the firm it once was"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Bangalore

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

None that come to mind

Cons

You can only get recognition if you please the right people. The studio directors are clueless about their staff. One has become so moody and difficult to approach and the other only knows how to give speeches and talk about how inaffective other people are. He doesn’t even have a background in the design field yet he behaves like he knows everything and the management supports this. The design director may have good...

Advice to Management

Look at all employees equally. Also, a sign a good firm is if it is able to maintain a good work life balance. Here people are encouraged to work long hours and when it comes to rewards, there are none. That is very disappointing

Gensler2018-07-21

"Gensler CR: sweatshop"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Jose, San Jose

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Exposition to global/large scaled projects, endless resources and career opportunities (maybe)

Cons

Life work-balance doesn’t exist here. If you are looking to work +45 hours a week, be completely overstaffed, burnout and underpaid you found gold. Too much fake marketing out there, also office culture is bad, managers always seem to be in a bad mood. No time to learn or explore on resources available.

Advice to Management

We are humans not robots - hire. Offer competitive salaries and deal with a +80% of your staff, we are burnout and dont belief in managers and studio directors.

Gensler2017-09-29

Gensler Response

October 10, 2017Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback on your experience at Gensler. We are sorry that your experience at the firm was not a positive one, and we wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors. While we strongly disagree with your assessment of our San José office, we promise to share your ...

8. "mostly a corporate interiors firm"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

worked in the asia offices; company is run as a good business that makes steady revenue; great office environment; good opportunities to reach out to other offices; good opportunities to be exposed to well-known Client base.

Cons

not great for architects; average compensation with long work hours; bonuses and profit sharing keep salaries low; more locally run with disconnect to firm-wide in the States; playing Gensler 'family' and 'we' culture earns you badges at the expense of talent; too many in-house initiatives turn out to be overwhelming and branded as Gensler culture.

Gensler2017-03-16
  9. "Architectural Designer"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

Positive and progressive work environment. If you put the work in, leadership helps you develop and diversify experience from project to project.

Cons

There are a lot of initiatives and groups to be a part of. While this is great, sometime the focus for advancement can be perceived as having less to do with efficiency and project work. Events are awesome but can wear over time.

Gensler2016-05-17

"Worst architectural experience of my life!"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in London, England

I worked at Gensler full-time

Pros

Felt a bit like being back at university in regards to the desig aspect of work.

Cons

Competition with fellow "team mates" back stabbing. Horrible American cooperation style practice. Make you work stupid stupid stupid long hours. Absolutely horrible experience!!

Gensler2016-04-17