Gensler Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Gensler Executive Directors Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge (in 30 reviews)

• Work long hours, not very competitive salary (in 30 reviews)

"Worth Consideration but not for a long time"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment for work. People there all work hard and are talented. You can have access to big project.

Cons

For future promotion, it could be very hard, you can see people move in and out every month. It changes

Aug 25, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing your perspective on Gensler and for mentioning our great people (who truly are our greatest asset)!

2. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Gensler (More than a year)

Pros

Great people who love what they do

Cons

Work/life balance and relatively low pay for the Amount of work that you do.

Advice to Management

Pay more to keep retina top talent.

Sep 28, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We respect your point of view and wish you all the best in your current and future endeavors.

"Lots of work, but surrounded by a lot of kind, extremely talented, and hard working people"

Current Employee - Job Captain in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to join Gensler through an employee referral during a time when the company was getting swamped with work so they were willing to take on any help they can get. I just graduated college with a B. Arch. While i've had internships every summer, I didn't have much (or at all) technical experience. Gensler gives you a really good mix of projects in various stages of the design process (schematic design, construction drawings, construction administration) so that you can get a feel of what area works for you (design, technical, etc). Everyone you work with is extremely talented and motivated. You become proud of your projects and the company you work for.

Cons

Sometimes you really get swamped with tons of work and deadlines. It's definitely NOT a sink-or-swim work environment, but by being surrounded by so many motivated people who are devoted to their work, you end up feeling pressured to try to work just as hard, if not harder than anyone else (my personal experience, at least). Project managers rarely say no to projects because they want to cater to all the big companies that come to them with work so there doesn't seem to be a slow moment. The company hires a lot of designers but not enough technical staff. The salary is not that competitive, but thats just the nature of the architecture industry...

Advice to Management

Higher salaries.

Jul 14, 2017 – Senior Writer/Editor

Thank you for sharing feedback on your experience with Gensler. We appreciate your mention of our people and the quality of project work our firm undertakes. At Gensler, everything begins with our... More

4. "Above average"

Current Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and good environment, great projects and management. Overall, this is a great place to work and start your career.

Cons

Job roles are too sharply defined, politics are a must for advancement, still very corporate at times, overvalue designers, but undervalue technical staffs.

"Huge corporate office that lacks inspiration in NYC"

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Gensler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Tons of technical resources and training
    - Ability to work remotely
    - Overtime

Cons

- Overtime must be approved by PM's that tightly restrict scheduling and overtime hours towards projects, if you work over 40 hours you will have to go through hoops to get it approved by upper management and in the end they will be annoyed that you worked longer hours.
    - Studios can feel really cliquey and caddy; there is a lot of chatter and talking behind peoples backs epescially with people who have spent a long time there
    - Huge office with a serious lack of mentorship, you get dropped into projects without much context or discussion about your interests or skill set
    - Terrible design aesthetic, lots of older people that have been working there for decades and are not clued into whats relevant today.
    - Base compensation is really low
    - The office has no qualms about taking work from questionable companies

Advice to Management

Don't talk behind peoples back, be considerate to your employees

"Job Captain"

Current Employee - Job Captain in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It provides the staff with a lot of resources and support. Everyone is generally nice and friendly - there're much less ego compared to other well-known firms. Lots of extracurricular activities if you're into that kind of thing. Very talented people all across.

Cons

It has a great culture, but still very corporate at times. There's a tendency to undervalue technical staff and overvalue designers causing a lot of people not willing to go the technical route.

Advice to Management

Support work life balance and flexible hours. Need to value technical staff more than designers doing pretty renderings.

"Long Term Career"

Current Employee - Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The office I work in and the firm as a whole continue to evolve, grow and innovate that has allowed me many opportunities and the opportunity to be a part of the direction.

Cons

It's a dynamic environment and expectations are high.

Advice to Management

Maintain junior staff engagement, so they see how valued they are by leadership.

"Associate / Project Architect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Projects - Smart People - amazing support for research - Everyone one I've come across is really nice and helpful.

Cons

Would like flex hours but I am in a good studio where it is civilized.

"Very dissatisfied"

Former Employee - Senior Interior Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Interior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large projects, lots of work, 401k, medical insurance,
    Work in NYC, polite and friendly receptionist, lunch hour, basic vacation of two weeks, close to transportation

Cons

No professional growth, micro managing, work hard, but not respected of your efforts on projects, not credited for your work or contributions, management takes credit for your work, favoritism by principals, work hard ethic not rewarded, no respect from management, no salary increases, no mentoring , no room for growth or position growth, lots of promises but very little action, principals get lots of professional credit and great bonuses while staff are ignored and are expected to just work hard and stop complaining, overtime pay isn't given unless approved , so staff still expected to work for free

10. "Excellent firm"

Former Employee - Former Senior Partner of Paul Segal Associate Architects for 39 Years in New York, NY

I worked at Gensler part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, talented incredibly well organized firm, in which everyone in all offices (40 plus) shares info and help.

Cons

None I am aware of.