Gensler Project Architect Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 36 reviews

4.1
Gensler CEO Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
  1. "Best place I have ever worked"

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive leadership, great opportunities, fun projects, work hard and play hard, all leadership is accessible, compensation is fair

Cons

Sometimes transparency is lacking when communicating to junior staff. More openness and candidness would go a long way.

Gensler2018-12-17

December 18, 2018Gensler Response

Thank you for providing such tremendous feedback on your experience at Gensler. We love to hear from our people and our alumni!

2. "Great Junior Level Employees and Technical Directors"

Former Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great place to start a career since there are many junior level employees

Cons

Project Managers and Studio Principals can be more concerned with internal politics than quality of work. Design directors and Project Managers tend to perpetuate the division between "technical" and "design" members of each team.

Advice to Management

Allow junior employees to explore more senior roles outside of the typical paths. Some of the most talented designers are pigeon-holed by the title of Job Captain into strictly technical roles.

Gensler2019-04-17

April 18, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback! We love to hear from our people and want everyone at Gensler to make their voice heard!

3. "Project Architect"

Current Employee - Project Architect in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They think big, lead the industry in design innovation and manage their money very well. There are many exciting initiatives that you can work on

Cons

If you do not find a champion early, you can get a little lost in a big company.

Advice to Management

Try to ensure all employees are being mentored intentionally. If someone asks for stretch assignments in PDP reviews, please try to adapt staffing for this occasionally.

Gensler2018-07-20

"Project Architect"

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Creative Colleagues High Profile Projects Excellent Bonuses

Cons

Usually more hours worked than billed Teams typically have less people than they need

Gensler2018-06-11

"Good place to work - but lots of room for improvement"

Current Employee - Project Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people and good projects. Good resources. Opportunities to grow for those who demand it.

Cons

You need to be an extrovert to succeed here. Hard work is not going to get you very far. You need to self promote and have someone senior (preferably a principal) looking out for you. Small bonuses- seem to be unrelated to performance.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your hardest workers- They are often overlooked.

Gensler2018-06-14

"Gensler is a great place to learn and have diverse opportunities."

Current Employee - Project Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Gensler “kool aid” is in large the great people that work there. There are perks like coffee, snack, learning resources, lots of lunch and learns, great tech tools, but the main reason to stay there through the years is the community of people that welcome you and mentor you.

Cons

The promotions process is very much like a popularity contest given the global size of the firm, it’s not uniquely based on offices and that makes it hard for introverts to be recognized for their hard work accurately. While there are lots of educational tools and opportunities within the firm it it hard to understand how to best approach the professional growth.

Advice to Management

I believe management needs to be more transparent about billing rates, and clarify the billing rate gaps, specifically among new lateral hires and the people to commit to Gensler across the years. There should also be more transparency on the appointment process so that it doesn’t continue to feel like a popularity contest. There needs to be more discussion and clarification on other growth/promotion opportunities.

Gensler2018-06-06
  7. "Great place to Grow"

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 19 years

Pros

The people and energy not to mention the long term benefits of an employee owned company. The variety and scale of projects and opportunity to learn and try new things.

Cons

Gensler is open and flexible which is great for creating your own path but the other side of the coin is mentor-ship and finding a place that works for you is not always so easy.

Advice to Management

Please preserve the open flexible culture of Gensler with the burgeoning growth of the company and corporate structure.

Gensler2018-05-30

"Potential is exciting but misleading"

Current Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of architecture is done here. It is generally nice high end design and challenging. There is a lot of opportunity to learn and expand your knowledge.

Cons

The design process is strained because of the silo-style roles to which the employees are limited. Schedules are tight and don’t allow for thorough documentation. The culture in the office is very clique-ish.

Advice to Management

It may be a good idea for design managers to utilize some of the client relationship techniques on their team members and colleagues as well.

Gensler2018-03-14

March 19, 2018Gensler Response

Thanks for taking a moment to provide feedback on your experience at Gensler! We appreciate your favorable evaluation of our architecture and design work, as it underscores our commitment to constantly pushing the boundaries of design innovation with every project we undertake. We ...

"So much potential but falls short"

Former Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working here allows you to be involved in a diverse selection of projects. New office location starting in 2016 allowed it to start from scratch and have a nicer environment. Friendly coworkers. Designers are above average. Culture is great as a whole.

Cons

Having worked there for a few years allowed me to get a solid grasp of the inner workings. Even though the office is supposed to be working as one it actually ends up operating as smaller offices (per studio). Depending on where you end up you can have a really successful time with your studio director, design directors, and support staff...or you can end up working with someone who lacks basic communication skills...

Advice to Management

How projects are staffed needs a lot of work. Some people work 50 hours and others can work 80+. Studio Directors need to listen to feedback better. It's a well-known fact that some studios have very low morale and yet nothing gets changed. Communication needs to improve immensely or staff will keep leaving like they have recently.

Gensler2018-01-29

January 30, 2018Gensler Response

Thanks for taking a moment to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We are sorry to hear that your time with the firm did not meet all your expectations, and we wish you the best of luck in all future endeavors. While we don’t agree with your assessment of our firm, we promise ...

10. "Above average"

Current Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people and good environment, great projects and management. Overall, this is a great place to work and start your career.

Cons

Job roles are too sharply defined, politics are a must for advancement, still very corporate at times, overvalue designers, but undervalue technical staffs.

Gensler2017-06-24