Gensler Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Gensler Co-CEOs Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is really good" (in 27 reviews)

• "Gensler has an incredibly creative work environment" (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is so much going on, it is too easy to let work/life balance take a back seat" (in 40 reviews)

• "Nothing out of the ordinary (can be long hours, navigating politics)" (in 36 reviews)

1. "Great Firm"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gensler's reputation provides the architect and designer the most creative and interesting projects.

Cons

Due to the size and scope of projects a young professional may become pigeonholed in a specific role with little opportunity to grow.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunity for growth in all skillets.

Feb 22, 2019 – Gensler Response

Thanks for providing such terrific feedback on your experience at Gensler. We love to hear from our alumni!

2. "Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gensler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young staff, lots of buzz, good benefits & pay.

Cons

Too many ambiguous titles, very hierarchical and corporate. Projects are overstaffed and often over budget. Project managers are not respected or empowered and are blamed for project metrics. Most of the staff are "designers" who have no idea how buildings are built, or any other "non-design" related tasks, its' beneath their self-anointed brilliance. It's a passive aggressive mean culture with many lifers protecting their turf who have never worked anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people if you don't have work.

Apr 15, 2019 – Gensler Response

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We're sorry your time with our firm did not meet all your expectations, and we wish you the best of luck in future endeavors.

3. "Project Manager/Bussiness Development"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A number one multinational firm with a "culture" mindset around the world of design. An institution able to create avenues for their employees, helping them to get focused on self-development, and professional growth, all within the broad world of design. A creative environment where many professionals in all levels of expertise are ready to give you a hand to guarantee the success of your project.

Cons

One must have a complete and full understanding of committing to business/work life type of frame, with the physical energy to achieve it, with very clear set of goals and expectations about the 3"culture" in the firm. A company were your performance will push to unbalance your private/family life. But, with the same token, it helps you to jump start your goals, and push you to continue your professional, and personal development.

Advice to Management

While the "firm culture" is a plus, there should be factors at hand t hat help you to enhance the individuality/family balance.

4. "Great career choice"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for career growth. Very interesting project work and good collaboration between colleagues.

Cons

Gensler is planning to move. The current office is a little tight with limited meeting space to meet with your colleagues and clients.

Advice to Management

Having more regularly scheduled social events would strengthen the relationship between colleagues.

Apr 3, 2018 – Gensler Response

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler! We appreciate your positive appraisal of our project work, our collaborative environment, and the opportunities for career growth... More

5. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Least drama of any office I've worked in (probably because there's no design visionary who's a diva), but tempers stay cool, and people are generally nice.

Cons

The most corporate office I've ever worked in. Cares way too much about rich developers. Talks about research for a better workplace but doesn't innovate at all.

Advice to Management

Stop chasing developers and do design that really matters to communities.

6. "Project Management"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training and entrepreneurial workplace.

Cons

Growth opportunities are limited.

Advice to Management

Grow the talent within

Dec 5, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing such terrific feedback on your experience at Gensler! We appreciate your kind words and agree that continuing to invest in our people, who are our most important asset, is critical... More

"Good environment & people, but relentless pace"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good projects, lots of resources, generally good work environment and people. Firm is fairly open with the finances, but only up to a certain point.

Cons

Strong push for high profitability means nicer than average bonuses, but also leads to people being stretched very thin. No one has time to teach others, let alone mentor. Most training done on personal time, which is not what I expected for such a large firm.

Advice to Management

Maybe a slightly lower profit margin is ok. Although management says it's about "people, projects, profit", the day-to-day translates into profit, projects, people.

Nov 14, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for taking a moment to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We love to hear from our colleagues throughout the world and appreciate your endorsement of our work environment and... More

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LA Office - Great lower and intermediate staff, some but not many good upper level senior associates and partners. Barbara Bouza is a good one, can't say the same for the other two who will be running the office.

Cons

Upper management is only looking out for themselves and the bonuses from bringing in work. Will underbid projects to get their bonuses. Will put the responsibility on the project managers and staff to get the project completed resulting often in massive unpaid overtime. They will then bill hours at a partners rate to the job weekly although they do little to nothing just so they can create the illusion of being profitable as a partner. And of course, you can guess who gets to work evenings and overtime to make up for the lost project revenue. There is no honesty or integrity among most of the partners. It is a culture that is rotting from the top down and the container has become so infused replacing replacing the people will only rotten them.

Advice to Management

No advice to management. They are so egotistical, self-righteous and self-serving any advice would be lost.

"Awesome workplace for Architects"

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great collection of bright minds working together. Flexible hours and support for family matters. Progressive environment. Very supportive environment and helpful. Good teamwork often in projects. Community and culture is best.

Cons

Its just too big at times. Firmwide management is often lost in its large responsibilities. I wish there are people who think big but act local. And establish a system that supports think big act local. Not just business which Gensler does great but in all other things in the house as well.

Advice to Management

Higher management, responsible for decisions making, should evaluate employees more closely for their contributions and at every levels. Often times only relying on supervisors may not do justice to those who don't speak up but are great performers doing above and beyond.

Jul 14, 2017 – Senior Writer/Editor

Thanks for the wonderful feedback! We wholeheartedly agree that our people are our firm’s greatest asset, and we appreciate your acknowledgement of the progressive and flexible environment our... More

"Efficient through strongly defined roles"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime is paid if pre-approved.

Cons

For workplace projects, architects are not treated as designers. Only interior designers are allowed to generate layouts. Job roles are too sharply defined. Politics are a must for advancement.

Advice to Management

Value architects as designers. Allow more latitude in defining roles.