Gensler Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Gensler Executive Directors Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company to work for, great people and very strong culture (in 47 reviews)

• Great career support and work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • I do hope our colleagues have good work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• High pressure deadlines, long hours (varies on project to project basis) (in 32 reviews)

1. "Gensler is awesome!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many things to love about Gensler, especially the Bay Area offices. I'm based in SF and have worked here for over 20 years. The people and the culture make it feel like a close family regardless of the size. Many fun opportunities to be involved in internal activities as well as community service. The standard of design is also great with many fun projects.

Cons

It is large and it takes some effort to connect and be involved, but it can happen!

Advice to Management

Be sure to commend people on the work they're doing. Make sure people feel appreciated and valued all the time, not just on bonus day.

Feb 20, 2018 – Gensler Response

Thanks for taking a moment to provide such fantastic feedback on your experience at Gensler! We appreciate your positive appraisal of our people, who are our firm’s greatest asset, and our culture... More

2. "Great Culture"

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

entrepreneurial environment allows for self-motivated individuals to build a successful career

Cons

challenging work hours at times

Apr 19, 2018 – Gensler Response

Wow! Thanks for the terrific feedback. We appreciate your mention of our entrepreneurial culture, which has been a cornerstone of our practice for over 50 years. Moving forward, we will continue to... More

3. "Architect"

Current Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing design leaders! Gensler treats employees well, buy into the culture and rewards you in so many ways. Not only financially but so many great benefits. Gensler IS the place to be!!!

Cons

None! You are in control of your own destiny at Gensler. Your success depends upon your input.

Apr 19, 2018 – Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing such terrific feedback! We are flattered by your kind words and glad to hear that you feel in control of your own destiny! Our entrepreneurial culture has long been a cornerstone... More

4. "Designer"

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

Nice people. Great projects and environment

Cons

None. Great place. Really like it.

Advice to Management

Employees need more pto days

Apr 16, 2018 – Gensler Response

Thanks for the fantastic feedback! We really appreciate your mention of our people, who are our greatest asset, and our fantastic project work. Please know that the firm recently refreshed its PTO... More

"A Glass House Full Of Overworked People"

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

The office is beautiful and once you say you worked at Gensler you can do anywhere. The company is the Ivy League school of the architecture industry.

Cons

Employee moral is super low. The company is a mill. Just do your job and shut up. Don’t ask questions. Don’t look for change. Don’t suggest. No one cares and most of the people there are just scared to get chewed up by upper management. It’s some serious butt kissing going on. People are overworked and encouraged to work for free. It’s cut throat. The company knows the Gensler brand is valuable and because of this they pay lower than market rate salaries and pile large workloads on to its employees. If you choose to work there go with an end plan because you are likely to get burned out very quickly.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending that there aren’t serious issues there and get down to work to fix them. A lot of people are passionate about working there but once they realize that it is all an illusion of work/life balance and potential to growth they soon become like everyone else. Go back to the principles that made Gensler Gensler.

"Started off high, ended low"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! Interesting and inspiring work. Some good benefits - not terrible. Yearly bonuses are nice to have because most firms don’t do that.

Cons

Terrible “leadership” I had a great first year, switched studios and everything fell apart. No one looks out for each other there, even though they will say otherwise. It doesn’t matter how good you are at your job, if you aren’t drinking the Kool-aid and stroking egos 24/7 you won’t get very far.

Gensler got too big too quick and lost sight of how to work well with others.

Advice to Management

There are no words. Stop hiring people when there’s no actual work and is just a pipe dream project!! Turnover is a very awful thing to see on top of the garbage environment that’s already there.

"Great People. Low Pay."

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Biggest is definitely great people. Everybody is nice, helpful and smart. Also values design a lot. You won't see anything that is not pretty. Work environment is physically and mentally open, which is awesome. Everybody gets sig-stand desk - the fav things at work.

Cons

Very low pay (at least for junior positions) and very hard to get "more" raise even if you perform well and you are paid much lower compared to market. Benefits are just ok as well. Technologies (software) are old. Junior talents don't stay long term. New York office has bad work/life balance compare to other offices. No career path and talent development for "non-design" positions. Leadership doesn't know what junior staff wants and needs. "Timesheet" system is just stupid. How can you be entrepreneur/innovative with no client to charge to.

Advice to Management

Embrace technology changes. Keep up with the process and tools. Talk to junior people. You should value technical as important as design. Without implementation, pretty renderings are just renderings after all. Think about why your talents are leaving.

Apr 20, 2018 – Gensler Response

Thanks for taking a moment to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your comments about our fantastic and smart people, who are without question our firm’s greatest asset. We... More

"Gensler lacks work + life balance"

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

You get to be around other creative people. We have a beautiful office.

Cons

You must go well above your job description to be recognized or promoted. It's a culture that does not reward work+life balance unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Pleases stop cutting our proposed fees to compete aggressively.

Apr 16, 2018 – Gensler Response

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and your positive appraisal of our people, who are our firm’s greatest asset. We’re sorry to hear that you are... More

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Gensler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed and fun atmosphere to work in

Cons

No growth to move upward

Apr 5, 2018 – Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing feedback on your experience at Gensler! We’re glad to hear that you are enjoying the relaxed and fun atmosphere we strive to cultivate in all our offices, but distressed to learn... More

10. "Love the culture!"

Pros

The people make it all worth it!

Cons

More resources assigned to admin departments.

Apr 3, 2018 – Gensler Response

Thanks for the fantastic feedback! You said it: our people make it all worth it and our culture is what distinguishes Gensler year after year. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication!