Gensler Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gensler Executive Directors Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge (in 27 reviews)

• You have to be passionate about the work to survive long hours and high pressure deadlines (in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A wonderful place to work and share information"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing talent and wonderful coworkers. Information sharing happens every day, all the time. It feels like you grow just by being in that environment and breathing the same air to so many talented individuals. Everyone was incredibly open and friendly from my first day with the company and this never changed. I love everyone I work with and I love the fact that there are not cliques and no gossip. We all work hard and play hard together. The company is invested in mentoring and growing each team member and they actually listen to everyone's desires and concerns and try to address them immediately. For such a large organization, they are very successful at making it feel like a small team where you quickly get to know and care about everyone.

Cons

The company gives you full ownership of your work which is great however it can also be tiring at peak times. Also the hiring process is slow as we want to make sure we can hire long term and not for quick burns so peak times are tougher for the current staff.

Advice to Management

Hire faster.

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Smart, intelligent co-workers and vibrant management. Office environment is beautiful, compensation and benefits are great. The perks are wonderful too. Everyone in the office, no matter their position, is made to feel like a part of the team, such as being invited to brain storming sessions for projects you aren't working on.

Cons

Long hours, lots of overtime and a fast-paced work environment that can, at times, be stressful.

Advice to Management

Wonderful company and work environment! Keep up the good work!

3. "Generally a good place to work"

Former Employee - Project Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Architect in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good projects, generally a good work environment, though I left years ago

Cons

Deadlines and salaries (true for most design professionals)

"Great work environment"

Former Employee - Project Manager/Associate in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Associate in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Great perks, good leadership and coaching, good feedback

Cons

If I could do it again, I'd start my career at Gensler and stay there for 20 years. So many people have been there 15, 20, 30 years that it's difficult to make a big impact when there are so many senior people ahead of you in line.

Advice to Management

Consider more than years of experience when determining salary and promotions.

6. "I loved it there."

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

What an awesome firm to work for. Despite the fact that it is a HUGE office, it really has the atmosphere of a small one. As an intern I had access to all the resources necessary to really learn as much as I could while I was there. I really felt like a part of the team.

Cons

While it is a great firm to work for, the work they are doing isn't always to most interesting, design-wise.

Advice to Management

The internship program is VERY well run, organized and enjoyable. Gensler is not only a firm but a family. While it sounds a bit corny it is absolutely true. Genlser treats its employees with the utmost respect.

"Fun and creative culture with great people"

Current Employee - Strategic Planner in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Planner in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

creative, talented staff, surprisingly ego-less for this industry. Collegial and supportive environment

Cons

pretty flat organization, which is great for getting responsibility but may limit career advancement.

8. "Very dynamic work environment with amazing team-building opportunities."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

office events, amazing catering, constant peer support, excellent ability to improve your skills and participate in award winning projects, leaders of their industry, best benefits with first year bonuses

Cons

none, requires independently motivated individuals

Advice to Management

Job well done.

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very collaborative, well-respected firm. Great company culture that encourages entrepreneurship, collegiality and community involvement. Bonus program and PS/ESOP programs can be very rewarding to those who stay with the firm for a long time.

Cons

Big company, so sometimes making changes to processes/policies can take time. The Regional structure helps to offset this somewhat given the fact that the regions still have quite a bit of independence and latitude to explore new practices/methodologies.

Advice to Management

Don't let the growth of the company turn it into a bureaucracy.

10. "Refreshing culture, great people, no limit to opportunity. Great brand."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative, entrepreneurial and collaborative work environment/mindset.
    Smart people who are leaders in their field and approach design holistically
    Great firmwide support resources that you don't get in smaller firms
    Ability to work on projects you want to work on

Cons

One firm approach sometimes difficult to balance with local/entreprenuerial approach

Advice to Management

Continue to drive innovation in not only design but management. Don't get stuck stale in management approach or practices.

11. "You are your only limitation! Gensler is a place where you have the leverage to achieve anything you want."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

First and foremost- GREAT CLIENTS! Very entrepreneurial in professional development and career pathing, high design - business savvy, talented individuals around every corner, awesome culture and people, expectations are high but the sky is the limit to accomplish anything you want, supportive management, thought leaders, fun and inspiring.

Cons

Everybody works very hard (often a lot of OT) and there is pressure to do the same...so your work-life balance is difficult to manage at times. Total compensation is distributed among 4 vehicles, so base salary is only in the middle of the pack with other similar size firms...a little harder to get used to for early career professionals.

Advice to Management

More autonomous style management practices should be used. Consider better ways of recognizing licensure (ie, a raise, even small, would be nice)!