Gensler Reviews | Glassdoor

Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
  1. "Long hours"

Current Employee - Technical Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Projects are awesome and people talented, def a place to work to learn and understand a different vision, strategy and simply perspective on design.

Cons

Hours are long, life balance difficult, and the turn over ends up being very high.

Gensler2019-05-20
  2. "Ok place"

Former Employee - Project Accountant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

I liked my PM's a good bit

Cons

did not like my manager

Gensler2019-05-20
  3. "People-First Firm"

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

As someone who has developed their career at Gensler, I can say without hesitation that this firm is one-of-a-kind. There is a clear focus on developing people, and growing people that is evidenced by philanthropic initiatives, collaborative leadership opportunities, career development opportunities, global & local work, and many planned professional events. What’s more, the work that we do and the caliber of clients...

Cons

None in my experience.

Gensler2019-05-17

May 20, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the phenomenal feedback! We love to hear from our people.

• "Creative and Supportive Company"

Current Employee - Regional Counsel in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gensler is exactly the exciting and creative company it appears to be. It is a large company that does world class international projects, but still manages to create a family feel amongst its people. Everyone is respectful and makes an effort to support each other and give you the opportunity to grow and advance your career.

Cons

Maternity leave benefits may be comparable to other similar architecture firms, but are not on par with what other professions provide.

May 8, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the terrific feedback! We love to hear from our people!

"HR Manager"

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

Fun employee events, cool office space

Cons

Equity, focus on people and culture

Advice to Management

Be transparent and communicative

May 8, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at Gensler. We want our people to make their voices heard.

• "Truly an International work culture"

Former Employee - Design Manager in Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Terrific leadership at the top (Andy Cohen, Diane Hoskins & Dan Winey to name a few). Good work culture, Best employee benefits , best industry standards , Good opportunities to learn across different verticals at firmwide level.

Cons

It gets too political at times especially when it comes to internal promotions. Too many undeserving candidates at Associates & senior associates level (especially in Abu Dhabi - Dubai office). Low Salaries compared to market standards but decent employee benefits like bonuses and Profit sharing covers up to some extent.

Advice to Management

Change in management at local level ( Middle East) will help in improving the local work culture and employee turnover issues . Good employees have moved out because of incompetent local management in past couple of years. And the true potential of Gensler work culture hasn’t been realized and thus effected the market capitalization and visibility in the Middle East of a great company like Gensler. I hope the top management...

May 9, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback. We love to hear from our people and appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts.

"Underneath its shiny, smiling exterior, lies a greedy and toxic corporate culture."

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Many people there start out as really good. Some even stay that way. There are some really talented and intelligent people at Gensler. Others are even experienced and skilled. However none of these pros are what the place is about.

Cons

Gensler is anything but a meritocracy. It’s a political shark tank, with principals swarming one another for power. Cozy up to the wrong person or fail to cozy up to the right one and your career goes down the drain. A belief that doing good work is a path to success will get you nowhere at Gensler. Instead you must avoid work and spend all of your time and energy self promoting and building relationships which you can...

Advice to Management

I have one word for you and it’s decency. A huge dose of decency would help this place a lot. Some authentic leadership would help a lot too but the fish rots from the head so I can’t imagine anyone caring enough to bother. There’s too much power to be gained and too much money to be made.

Gensler2019-05-03

"Interior Designer"

I worked at Gensler

Pros

Learned about the business side of design and worked with world-class clients and talented people. Beautiful offices and competitive benefits.

Cons

The design process is mostly business driven, so true design excellence and treating team members professionally is often not part of this process. Projects are mostly structured so managers can present ‘efficiency and high profit margins’ to upper leadership, this is not always conducive to a healthy team culture.

Advice to Management

Evolve to keep up with the new economy. Encourage leaders to invest in their people providing true mentorship.

Gensler2019-05-03

May 6, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback! We love to hear from our alumni!

"Great people, but too much going on"

Current Employee - Architect in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The people are really smart, engaging and supportive Interesting projects and a lot of variety if you want to change what you work on Lots of opportunities to advance and to pursue your passions

Cons

Too many non-work related distractions, happy hours and meetings. You have to actively disengage in order to be productive Everyone at mid to senior level experience seems like they are spread too thin which sets an unhealthy example and burns out teams. Doesn't make sense because there are so many perks and overhead staff here that smaller offices don't have It is harder to work here if you are an introvert

Advice to Management

Set boundaries and a good example of work-life balance

Gensler2019-05-01

May 1, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback. We want our people to make their voices heard.

"Toxic Work Culture"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

ESOP and Profit-Sharing can be lucrative.

Cons

Gensler Austin has a stiflingly oppressive work culture where teams and individuals are pitted against each other for projects; no collaboration. Leadership plays favorites and those in middle management are self-serving. Must be willing to play heavy politics.

Gensler2019-04-30