Gensler Reviews | Glassdoor

Gensler Executive Directors Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge (in 29 reviews)

• Work long hours, not very competitive salary (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A wonderful place to work and share information"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing talent and wonderful coworkers. Information sharing happens every day, all the time. It feels like you grow just by being in that environment and breathing the same air to so many talented individuals. Everyone was incredibly open and friendly from my first day with the company and this never changed. I love everyone I work with and I love the fact that there are not cliques and no gossip. We all work hard and play hard together. The company is invested in mentoring and growing each team member and they actually listen to everyone's desires and concerns and try to address them immediately. For such a large organization, they are very successful at making it feel like a small team where you quickly get to know and care about everyone.

Cons

The company gives you full ownership of your work which is great however it can also be tiring at peak times. Also the hiring process is slow as we want to make sure we can hire long term and not for quick burns so peak times are tougher for the current staff.

Advice to Management

Hire faster.

Sep 21, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for the fantastic feedback! We wholeheartedly agree that our people are our firm’s greatest asset, and we are glad to hear that information sharing, mentoring, and collaboration are happening... More

2. "Great Job + Culture"

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

Wonderful, supportive firm, global network

Cons

need to be entrepreneurial to make it

Oct 13, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for the terrific feedback! We certainly strive to support our firm's global network of talented practitioners and actively foster an entrepreneurial culture. Thanks again!

3. "Overall working experience"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, great projects, great leadership.

Cons

Low salary, unbalanced work/live lifestyle.

Oct 13, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate your mention of our great projects and great leadership. We also want to make sure that you can enjoy a satisfactory work-life balance and encourage you to meet... More

4. "Terrific Culture and Values"

Current Employee - Principal in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The firm has strong culture and values and tries to do the right thing. A culture that believes the growth of the firm is all about growing people. Everyone is entrepreunerial and passionate about their work with a focus on the success of the "One Firm Firm".

Cons

As the firm grows it needs to continue to fight beaucracy.

Advice to Management

Keep things simple. Like all great design.

Oct 10, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for the terrific feedback! We appreciate your acknowledgement of our One Firm-Firm culture, which is one of Gensler’s most abiding attributes and something we strive to uphold every single... More

5. "Good place with lots of opportunity"

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A good place to work and people are really great. Lots of opportunities to pursue new ideas, but balanced with the needs of the clients.

Cons

Can be too bottom-line focused. Not as integrated as you would expect for a firm this size.

Oct 4, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thank you for the feedback on your experience at Gensler. We take pride in providing a culture where ambitious professionals can pursue opportunities that correspond with their career goals and... More

6. "Great Company"

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Global company = global network
    Vast array of project types
    Opportunities to work with Fortune 100 companies

Cons

High stress with tight project deadlines

Advice to Management

More emphasis on work / life balance.

Oct 3, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing such fantastic feedback on your experience at Gensler! We appreciate everything you and your colleagues do for our firm and for our clients. Thanks again!

7. "Gensler CR: sweatshop"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)
    Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposition to global/large scaled projects, endless resources and career opportunities (maybe)

Cons

Life work-balance doesn’t exist here. If you are looking to work +45 hours a week, be completely overstaffed, burnout and underpaid you found gold. Too much fake marketing out there, also office culture is bad, managers always seem to be in a bad mood. No time to learn or explore on resources available.

Advice to Management

We are humans not robots - hire. Offer competitive salaries and deal with a +80% of your staff, we are burnout and dont belief in managers and studio directors.

Oct 10, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback on your experience at Gensler. We are sorry that your experience at the firm was not a positive one, and we wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors. While we... More

8. "Not what it appears from the outside!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, fun environment, culture of collaboration and curiosity. Gensler is often seen as a corporate beast and there are elements of corporate-ness given the global scale, but when you get in the door it's creative, friendly, diverse, relaxed and innovative. I have been given great opportunities to grow and deepen my skills - I've found it a great place to work.

Cons

Resources aren't always allocated as well as they could be. Leadership could do more to communicate the office's direction of travel within their studios.

Advice to Management

Don't always assume that people know what you are trying to achieve. Involve more people - they would love the opportunity.

Sep 28, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your mention of our great people and the culture of collaboration and curiosity we strive to uphold. If there’s anything else... More

9. "A Collaborative Firm Focused on Clients, People & Design"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Believe in we are making a difference by the power of design - our work matters;
    2. Helping clients;
    3. Family oriented culture that focus on taking care of people and growth;
    4. Collaborate with teams from different countries/offices and cultures on the same initiative.

Cons

We enjoyed working so much that we may bring them back home.

Advice to Management

Carry on doing what it is right and what we are doing.

Sep 28, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing such kind words about Gensler. We love hearing from our colleagues throughout the world and appreciate all the contributions you and your fellow practitioners make to our continued... More

10. "Part 2 Architectural Assistant"

Current Employee - Part II Architectural Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Part II Architectural Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gensler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work in one of the smallest (and coolest) Gensler offices and so far loving it. Have been with the team for nearly two months, everyone is very welcoming, and have been teaching and mentoring me and did a great job at it as well. I was given a large level of responsibity pretty much straight off the bat which demonstrates Gensler’s investestment in young staff - and this is the main reason why I feel like I have learned so much in just 2 short months. They always go above and beyond to teach, show and answer any questions. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly!

Cons

The hours are often too long to keep up with the project demands (although I do enjoy the work) Not enough time allocated to learning the Gensler-way and not enough one-on-one slower paced inductions, for a firm this size and with so many standards, forms, ways etc.

Advice to Management

Keep giving your young staff responsibility, it’s a great way to make them grow! at the same time, encourage them to keep a healthy life-work balance ;)

Sep 28, 2017 – Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing your perspective on Gensler! We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with the firm and are pleased to know that you’ve already had opportunities to receive mentorship... More