Gensler Senior Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Gensler Co-CEOs Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is really good" (in 27 reviews)

• "Gensler has an incredibly creative work environment" (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is so much going on, it is too easy to let work/life balance take a back seat" (in 40 reviews)

• "Nothing out of the ordinary (can be long hours, navigating politics)" (in 36 reviews)

1. "Opportunities abound if you take them"

Current Employee - Associate/Senior Project Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate/Senior Project Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love my co-workers and the amazing projects I get to work on. Studios do vary so I can not speak about other studios. Mine is awesome; filled with creative, talented dedicated professionals.

Cons

office is getting big so culture is getting a little diluted.

Gensler Response

Feb 2, 2018 – Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing such terrific feedback on your experience at Gensler! We appreciate your mention of our talented people, who are our firm’s greatest asset, and the opportunities our... More

2. "Senior associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can move between offices

Cons

Occasion too much hierarchy gets in the workflow

"Rewarding. Competitive internally. World-class projects. Long hours. Lots of Kool-aide"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Endless awards each year working with some of the best projects and best clients
    Reputation as Global Leaders in design.
    Excellent office work environment.
    Almost 50 Gensler offices world-wide.

Cons

Long hours and lower than average salaries for this industry. Highly competitive internally amongst the teams and most will do anything to get better bonus pay.

Advice to Management

Many employees get burned out quickly and easily. Can be very stressful as Sr Leader role.
    Too many inner politics/drama

4. "Excellent firm"

Former Employee - Former Senior Partner of Paul Segal Associate Architects for 39 Years in New York, NY

I worked at Gensler part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, talented incredibly well organized firm, in which everyone in all offices (40 plus) shares info and help.

Cons

None I am aware of.

"Great variety of experience, relatively transparent organization."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Can develop many different types of expertise within the same company. Great to interact with people from around the world in different offices.

Cons

Have to track all of your time to specific projects (in 30 min increments). Virtually no allowance for exploring research or other non project work. Very political.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on productivity percentage and start allowing and inspiring people to innovate.

"Great place to grow your career"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Project/Studio Director in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Project/Studio Director in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stimulating, globally focussed environment with an emphasis on the power of design to transform businesses & lives. You are encouraged to follow your passions and have them contribute to the rest of the firm. Employee ownership contributes to a feeling of collective responsibility for the future.

Cons

You are fully responsible for your own success which includes fighting to be on a good project team. Document all your accomplishments in a demonstrable way and be prepared to fight for recognition.

"Consulting Practice"

Former Employee - Consulting Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consulting Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaboration and few leaders
    Peers share knowledge
    Some good clients who come to this design and production machine

Cons

Crap senior management
    Salaries and compensation
    Politics
    Bad promotion prospects

Advice to Management

Be human and not super greedy. Connect with your people and DO something.

"Know what your getting into"

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Access to lots of lectures, event and special presentations that you would not come in contact with at most smaller firms.

Cons

Very aggressive, boys club type work environment.
    Salaries are below the industry standard. You will see many reviews saying good benefits. After working there 10 yrs I disagree. Unfortunately because most of the staff is very young and inexperienced they don't understand that the benefits are not that good.
    You will find the interest earned on profit sharing is substantially lower than that of the 401k, you would be better off with a company that contributes to your 401k.
    The bonuses are just your normally salary broken out as additional payments. It is to the companies benefit not yours. They hold the money all year making interest on it and then give it to you in Dec and June . If they are having a bad year the bonus can be lowered and then you will make way below the industry standard. Also know Gensler has a huge marketing team and many of the interns are children of Gensler's clients. So every time a negative review is added to this website, someone from marketing or one of these children are asked to write a positive review.

Advice to Management

The office are just too big. 400-500 people per office under 2-3 managing principles per office. It doesn't work.

"Houston office - losing ground in this market."

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great projects, best technical support in the industry, great benefits if you can hold your nose and make it through retirement age.

Cons

Horribly unqualified next group of leaders. Qualified have seen the light and moved on. Broker connections will be lost after this generation of Principals, if any ever retire.
    Individual ego over community very evident in all current outreach. Those being sent into the community to participate in nonprofit organizations are not team players and are being identified as self serves by multiple organization.
    Poor work/life balance 7 day a week schedule. No longer the best of a bad situation.
    Salaries very low in this market and indignant positioning if you are well informed and challenge.
    Questionable ethics with board members pushing firm wide technology from outside sources that they have invested in, very very unethical.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

"The Myth"

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benifits, offices in all major cities. Good for someone who wants to work the system and move around a lot.

Cons

Be prepaed to take a salary that is lower than industry standard.
    Be prepared to devote your whole life to the company. It is kind of a pyramid scheme. I was high enough in the company before I left that I was on the hiring committee. From the minute a person is hired it is determined if they are "super star " or a "work horse" If you are labeled super star you are introduced to all the right people given the best projects and staff to assist you. If you are labeled a work horse you will hear all the propaganda about opportunities and doing great design but trust me you will never be anything other than a work horse. You will work crazy hours,one project after the next in hopes of getting some small bonus come June. The bonus will never be equivalent to all the hours you will put in.

Advice to Management

Get back to the original roots and vision of the company. If you stop low balling fees you can give your employees a better work life balance .