Gensler Senior Designer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Gensler Co-CEOs Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is really good" (in 27 reviews)

• "Gensler has an incredibly creative work environment" (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is so much going on, it is too easy to let work/life balance take a back seat" (in 40 reviews)

• "Nothing out of the ordinary (can be long hours, navigating politics)" (in 36 reviews)

1. "Collaboration work"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

- Great for hybrids, coming from different kinds of educations;
    - never seen before, that all kind of creative professions work together „in room“, therefore able to deliver holistic results;
    - You always have the chance to take a peek into other departments / - and maybe work, if you are good;

Cons

- No clear regulations to get promoted;
    - Long processes to get hired, if through HR;

Jan 18, 2019 – Gensler Response

Thanks for providing such terrific feedback on your experience at Gensler. We love to hear from our people!

2. "nice place to work in US"

Current Employee - Senior Architectural Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Architectural Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

one of the best benefits for employee

Cons

we have too much social volunteering

Advice to Management

hope to have more communication with staffs to work more efficiently

Jan 29, 2019 – Gensler Response

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We love to hear from our people!

"gLove"

Current Employee - Senior Design Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Part of a larger family beyond the immediate office that focuses on design and building their teams; believes in sharing at its core; data and research is fuel for innovation; opportunities for growth far exceeded my expectations; opportunity to be a part of an office and business development infrastructure in addition to project work;

Cons

Balance of work and initiatives with life outside the office is a challenge, requiring focus and prioritization with realistic goals, which is key to most things where success is important.

Advice to Management

Invest in tool / platform improvement (Dashboard and Tableau). They’re really good tools and the transparency is awesome, but mining what could be improved by feedback from DM leaders, etc. could greatly expand our impact and make us more efficient. 1+1= >2

"Gensler"

Current Employee - Senior Interior Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Interior Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Projects and travel. Sky is the limit to personal challenges. This is a company promoting self-starters and high-achievers. If you’re looking for a good challenge, this is the place for you!

Cons

Pay and job growth. If you’re not a self-starter or unsure about what your career goals are, Gensler does not do a good job growing people. Neither do they pay very well. Lots of work, not much in return.

Advice to Management

Would be nice to have a better base salary to compensate for the work challenges.

Apr 27, 2018 – Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your mention of our firm’s practice of rewarding people based on merit as opposed to other factors and our efforts to always... More

"Firm Culture Issues -unfortunate"

Former Employee - Senior Design Manager in Southwest, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Design Manager in Southwest, PA

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I liked working on interesting projects, and the firm knows that is what brings new staff in who are hungry to work on projects for big name clients.
    There is a sense of power that the firm has so when you say to an engineer or vendor you work for gensler they jump to attention.

Cons

I did 4 years when Ed Friedrichs was the CEO, he was alright and the firm was about people. I moved and came back in 2011 and did 6 years and it was as awful as newer staff had warned me.The firm knows you want to work for the big name firm so senior associates and leaders try to use that in exchange for making you hit ridiculous deadlines which require all nighters (without charging your all night time) while they go to principal retreats and leadership meetings and put time on your project even if not working on it. There always seems to be that perception that if you don't want to sacrifice someone else will fill your seat in a minute. Not about people anymore. We are a commodity. Some people just deal with it, and some like me had to boomerang back again to see if things changed but they did not. I need to pay for my kids things so I went back for promise of a big bonus, but it wasn't worth it for the rest of the time.

Advice to Management

Diane and Andy are too removed to know what's going on. Leaders need to be more in touch with the worker bees not just focus on the senior associates and principals that parade in front of the office principal looking for pats on the back. Try to remove deep politics from promotion and old leaders too stubborn to change. Sad that the firm has lost a lot of respect from ex staff but they don't see it. Gensler is the Coca Cola brand and people will always drink it even if they know it's bad for them.

"Very dissatisfied"

Former Employee - Senior Interior Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Interior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large projects, lots of work, 401k, medical insurance,
    Work in NYC, polite and friendly receptionist, lunch hour, basic vacation of two weeks, close to transportation

Cons

No professional growth, micro managing, work hard, but not respected of your efforts on projects, not credited for your work or contributions, management takes credit for your work, favoritism by principals, work hard ethic not rewarded, no respect from management, no salary increases, no mentoring , no room for growth or position growth, lots of promises but very little action, principals get lots of professional credit and great bonuses while staff are ignored and are expected to just work hard and stop complaining, overtime pay isn't given unless approved , so staff still expected to work for free

"Senior Architectural Designer : generates design solutions, present to client and coordinates with consultants."

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work on different scale of projects and variety of project types. Flexible working hours. Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

overwhelming extra curicullar activities to be able to move up in career. A lot of times it could go down to where you feel like a screw in a big machine.

Advice to Management

delivering good projects and design is also leadership

8. "Great firm to start a career."

Former Employee - Senior Architectural Designer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Architectural Designer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Gensler (More than 3 years)

Pros

High level collaboration, reasonable compensation, generally good decent people to work with.

Cons

I did not experience any significant negative situations.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Only way to get rewarded is to play the game."

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Houston, TX

I worked at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes hard work will pay off. Some studios are closer than others. Sometimes you'll meet a good leader that will take the time to mentor you. It's a great place to meet people and when you leave everyone will want you to work for them. There are a lot of training programs outside of the day to day grind (of course all on your own time). The staff is pretty diverse but perhaps that is just another method of saving money for the company.

Cons

Cons mainly impact a certain kind of person, depending on the cards you are dealt, you may find you fit into some of those cons. Such as :
     - being introverted
     - being female or a minority
     - having a thick accent
     - not being a self-promoter (does not reflect actual capabilities)
     - if you need guidance in order to learn
     - If you do in fact work hard, but do not self-promote
    These are the kinds of traits that can cause huge hurdles for you. The reward system established is skewed towards loud and proud types. If you are a female, you absolutely will be limited, especially if you are under one of the various studios lead by the 'elite'. It is even crazier when you consider licensure doesn't mean you will make a decent wage. There are plenty of licensed females that are well below their pay grade. It's not the kind of place that will train you, and not because they don't want to. There are a few good people that understand the value in training. It has more to do with project management. Projects are generally too constrained by time to allow for that. It's most disheartening when you find those people that have been here 3-5 yrs (sometimes more) and do not have the skills they would have acquired at any other firm. There is some senior staff that do very little, which can be very debilitating.

Advice to Management

Times are changing and quickly. Be more adaptive. Reward people that know what they are doing and not those that fake it. Just because there is a line for promotions and a line moving up, that does not mean that is how things need to play out. Jr staff needs better guidance. Female staff is actually more willing to train your staff, so probably not a good idea to only reward those that have large enough egos to speak out.

"Great place to Grow and Progress your career - at any age!"

Current Employee - Senior Design Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazingly talented and enthusiastic. There's a real design energy and ethos in this community that is infectious.

Cons

There is so much opportunity that you have to be able to say "no" sometimes or you WILL get overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize, support and develop young talent.