Gensler "large firm" Reviews | Glassdoor

Gensler Employee Reviews about "large firm"

Found 809 reviews

4.0
Gensler CEO Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Pros
Cons
  • "There is so much going on, it is too easy to let work/life balance take a back seat(in 40 reviews)

• "Nothing out of the ordinary (can be long hours, navigating politics)(in 36 reviews)

Reviews about "large firm"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Balanced work environment and good culture that encourages people to help each other

Cons

Large firm, sometimes people need to speak louder to be heard and work harder to stand out

Gensler2018-01-13

Gensler Response

January 16, 2018Gensler Response

Wow! Thanks for sharing such terrific feedback! We certainly agree that our people are our firm’s greatest asset and appreciate your mention of our balanced work environment and culture of sharing and teamwork. Thanks again for the feedback and for everything you do on behalf of our ...

"Good environment & people, but relentless pace"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good projects, lots of resources, generally good work environment and people. Firm is fairly open with the finances, but only up to a certain point.

Cons

Strong push for high profitability means nicer than average bonuses, but also leads to people being stretched very thin. No one has time to teach others, let alone mentor. Most training done on personal time, which is not what I expected for such a large firm.

Advice to Management

Maybe a slightly lower profit margin is ok. Although management says it's about "people, projects, profit", the day-to-day translates into profit, projects, people.

Gensler2017-11-14

Gensler Response

November 14, 2017Gensler Response

Thanks for taking a moment to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We love to hear from our colleagues throughout the world and appreciate your endorsement of our work environment and people. Our firm remains committed to helping our practitioners design rewarding career ...

"Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

-amazing company culture with lunch and learns and happy hours once a week and tons of events going on -working with a lot of very talented, creative people with a ton of valuable experience who are willing to be hands on -working on some of the largest, most well known projects in the world -great employee stock program, retirement plan, benefits and bonuses -room for growth

Cons

-working for a large firm which can sometimes make you feel like you don't have a say and you're just another employee -which can also cause a lot of politics within each studio

Gensler2017-02-07

"Interior Designer"

I worked at Gensler full-time

Pros

Care a lot about employee growth. Good benefits and bonus packages.

Cons

Large firm, so tend to specialize employees into project types quickly.

Gensler2017-01-17
    • "Senior Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler

Pros

Lots of different groups to join socially, Your voice counts - all ideas are welcome! If you like to collaborate with many different people - Gensler is the place to be! Family oriented firm.

Cons

Don't be scared by a large firm - you are not just a number at Gensler - everyone counts! -

Gensler2016-10-03
    • "Project Architect"

Current Employee - Project Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler for more than 2 years

Pros

Culture Culture Culture. They work hard to take care of the employees with benefits, make it a fun place to work with events after hours, and keep you inspired with informal design and socializing opportunities. It is the upside of what a big firm can be- they leverage their resources to hire and retain top talent.

Cons

Of course at a large firm, it is easy to get pigeon-holed or stuck in a rut, if you don't take charge of your own fate. There simply isn't the time for leadership to micro-manage enough to ensure that everyone is happy, doing what and headed where they want. That said, they are always supportive if you take the initiative to have those conversations and pursue your passions....

Advice to Management

Perhaps we should find better ways to reach out to the quiet ones, the ones that don't take ahold of their own vectors or don't know how to take initiative. Good talent can get lost in the shuffle and may end up at smaller firms where they feel more comfortable or more valued.

Gensler2016-10-03

"Designer - Interiors"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will learn new skills and add the biggest name in design to your CV. It will open many doors to you. Stay for the name then jump to more fun and inclusive firms.

Cons

Bureaucratic, governed by office politics. If you believe in your own design skills and views this is not the place for you. At gensler you are, like in any large firm of this size, just a number in a money making machine. Its like joining a scientology cult. Not suitable for designers who enjoy having a voice. Everyone is there fighting for the next round of promotions or bonuses....

Advice to Management

Treat employees as people not numbers. Many awards and events dont make 'teams' cohesive.

Gensler2016-06-13

"Great company culture"

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

It's a large company but most people treat each other very well regardless titles. Potential to work on a wide range of project types in different locations. Great benefit compare to other architecture firm, pays overtime. Profit share plan adds up nicely and bonus can be very good.

Cons

Base salary is not great compare to other large firm. Quality of design may vary among different studios.

Gensler2015-12-17
    • "Wonderful Place to Gain Experience"

Current Employee - Technical Designer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Fast paced atmosphere with wonderful people who are eager to help teach younger staff. The benefits are great and you have access to a variety of great resources (technology, knowledge, materials, etc). Since the firm does work in every practice area imaginable, you also have the opportunity to work on a variety of project types and sizes.

Cons

It is a large firm with some very large offices which can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Keeping the studios on the smaller side helps with the culture and not making it seem like you are working at a 5000 person firm.

Gensler2015-12-10
      • "Student Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Gensler

Pros

up beat staff, access to software,access to Revit training and lots of IDP hours

Cons

Large firm, not too much one on one time with supervisors. Repetitive tasks.

Gensler2015-08-17