Gensler "office politics" Reviews | Glassdoor

Gensler Employee Reviews about "office politics"

Found 809 reviews

4.0
Gensler CEO Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Pros
Cons
  • "There is so much going on, it is too easy to let work/life balance take a back seat(in 40 reviews)

• "Nothing out of the ordinary (can be long hours, navigating politics)(in 36 reviews)

Reviews about "office politics"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Architect in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great opportunities for cool design work.

Cons

Office politics and drama can be difficult to handle

Gensler2018-10-01

November 15, 2018Gensler Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at Gensler. We greatly appreciate the willingness of our people and our alumni to make their voices heard.

"Great potential, though currently plagued with ineffective interiors leadership"

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

The history of the firm and guiding principles are admirable. The firm has a great reputation and brand identity, which aids in winning some very impressive work. The client list is filled with top tier companies and the benefits are among the best in the industry. The resources and global network allow you to tap into very experienced peers.

Cons

Rapid growth of the Austin office has resulted in inexperienced and unqualified staff moving into leadership roles - many of whom are ineffective and seem focused on office politics and drama rather that business development and project success. So much time and energy is spent on internal issues, when it would be better spent servicing our clients and mentoring the staff.

Advice to Management

Make changes at the studio leadership level, or provide very serious coaching and discuss challenges and next steps with the studio. I believe many of us are willing to ride out the waves, but want to understand the end goal. Watching the drama of leadership doesn't inspire confidence in the staff, or the community. Our reputation and project opportunities are suffering because of this.

Gensler2018-05-23

May 20, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback! We want every person at our firm to make their voice heard.

"growth is extremely difficult/political"

I worked at Gensler

Pros

the company has a big name in the industry

Cons

pressured for free overtime and heavy office politics, lots of playing favorites

Advice to Management

consider more opportunities to give feed back on office/studio leadership

Gensler2017-09-01

September 6, 2017Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback. We wish your experience at Gensler had been more positive and promise to continue doing everything in our power to help our colleagues find success and happiness in their work. We wish you the best of luck in all future endeavors.

"Interior Designer"

I worked at Gensler

Pros

Big company allows for many opportunities within the various committees that are formed. Expectations to climb ladder are explicitly laid out.

Cons

With the extreme level of structure (explicit steps to take to climb the ladder) things don't happen organically. There are office politics like I would imagine one would experience in corporate america - who you know within the company determines your future.

Advice to Management

Hire for the people NOT to fill a job description. Foster the most important attributes a person could have as Warren Buffett put it "In looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. And if you don’t have the first, the other two will kill you."

Gensler2016-08-31

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Good projects, excellent retirement plans, great people

Cons

Office politics are very extreme - even compared to other architecture firms. Being a politician is the only way to move up the ladder - not skill nor merit.

Advice to Management

Promote employees based on merit. Boost base pay to well deserving employees (currently the base pay scales are well below market average).

Gensler2016-08-08

"Designer - Interiors"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will learn new skills and add the biggest name in design to your CV. It will open many doors to you. Stay for the name then jump to more fun and inclusive firms.

Cons

Bureaucratic, governed by office politics. If you believe in your own design skills and views this is not the place for you. At gensler you are, like in any large firm of this size, just a number in a money making machine. Its like joining a scientology cult. Not suitable for designers who enjoy having a voice. Everyone is there fighting for the next round of promotions or bonuses....

Advice to Management

Treat employees as people not numbers. Many awards and events dont make 'teams' cohesive.

Gensler2016-06-13
  7. "Great opportunities for learning a lot, extreme work hours"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Tons of access to knowledge, people, great projects and a very driven atmosphere.

Cons

No work-life balance, and excessive office politics.

Advice to Management

Stop running the office like it is Survivor where everyone is trying to protect themselves or their teams out of fear.

Gensler2016-05-10
  8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Best corporate culture. Nice working environment. Great training programs. Talented people to work with. Opportunities working with world class clients.

Cons

Inefficiency management. Office politics. Classification of different roles and specifies can restrict growth of a well rounded architect.

Advice to Management

Simplify management layers

Gensler2016-01-02

"Corporate giant, not so different from other big companies out there"

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

There are many talented people who are passionate about their work, office culture is nice, work times are quite flexible

Cons

Too much office politics going on, favoritism is very obvious. A lot of lip service but leadership is lacking. Base salary is low.

Advice to Management

Have better communication with your workers.

Gensler2015-03-13
  10. "Sr. Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Designer

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Several architect studios, very fixed working mode, divided into Designer PA, PM. Quite standard.Lots of strong employees, but foreigners levels varied widely even in same position.

Cons

There are office politics, donot like it.

Advice to Management

Care more about the salary of middle level employees.

Gensler2018-10-12