KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Gensler

Engaged Employer

Gensler

Add a Review

Gensler Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

Found 77 of over 1,459 reviews

3.9
Gensler Co-CEOs Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Pros
  • "easy going work environment for all(in 65 reviews)

• "Working with great people and great design(in 64 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours and some directors who are out of touch with employee wellbeing(in 55 reviews)

• "hard to achieve work-life balance due to heavy load on works(in 52 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Gensler and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Freelancer

Great Corporate Culture

Oct 28, 2020 - Interior Designer in Newport Beach, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are very nice. Not only the work environment feels like family to me, also the people are very appreciative and supportive to coworkers that has family.

Cons

I cannot find any cons working here.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great legacy and potential, but leadership needs to evolve.

Apr 21, 2020 - Administrative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Big firm with big resources. Compensation and benefits (including overtime pay, ESOP, bonuses) are above industry standards. Opportunity for advancement, and a culture that rewards hard work, ingenuity, creativity, and a "get-it-done" attitude. Great staff full of talented, passionate people who truly care about their work. Environment can be a bit catty sometimes, with big personalities to be managed and corralled, but this is typical of creative environments, and not anything that a professional shouldn't be able to navigate. Great place to learn, grow, try new things, have fun, and challenge yourself. I sincerely hope they can rebound quickly from the current situation caused by the virus.

Cons

Big firms can be top heavy, and this one rewards bad behavior in a big way at the higher levels. SouthCentral is run by a regional manager who's been with the firm for almost half a century, enjoys free reign, and runs the entire region like personal pet project, all while displaying a shocking level of illiteracy about the work and the technology that powers it. Nepotism, favoritism, rudeness, unilateral decision making and credit taking are all common, well-documented, and for some reason allowed and tolerated by firmwide leadership. It's disheartening, and makes it hard to get behind the good bits of Gensler.

8 people found this review helpful

Gensler Response

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive. Providing honest feedback is critical to supporting our culture and our values of integrity, trust and mutual respect. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with the firm’s leadership.

3. 2.0

Toxic company culture

Dec 1, 2020 - Interior Designer in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very talented people and interesting projects. The company is very involved in learning and growth initiatives.

Cons

Upper management creates a fairly toxic work environment. There is a strong "every man for himself attitude" here. Employees may end up working close to 60 hours a week to get the project work complete but are discouraged from technically working more than 40.

4 people found this review helpful

Gensler Response

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive and will share your comments with leadership .

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work, but always have a backup plan.

Aug 29, 2020 - Technical Designer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Team. Great Projects. Great Work Environment

Cons

The winds of change move fast at Gensler. Have an ally that's making projects or business calls. Otherwise, ALWAYS have a career backup. You'll be out as fast as your orientation to come work there.

Gensler Response

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive. Encouraging our people to ask questions and share their perspectives is fundamental to our firm’s culture. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with the firm’s leadership.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Okay

Jan 13, 2021 - Project Accountant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Benefits and Good work environment

Cons

too much Work and very Low pay compared to the workload

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company & Culture

Apr 27, 2020 - Administrative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to develop relationships — coworkers are fun, supportive, easy going. Good opportunities for career growth, learning.

Cons

Work environment can be challenging, but rewarding. Leadership often times do not make decisions quickly, often delaying processes and forcing people to play catch up. Very high, if sometimes unrealistic, expectations.

Gensler Response

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We value our people and love to hear their perspectives.

7. 5.0

great place to work

Feb 25, 2020 - Architectural Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

easy going work environment for all

Cons

long commute to city for me

Gensler Response

Thanks so much for the feedback. We love to hear from our alumni and wish you all the best in your current and future endeavors.

8. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

intern

Feb 17, 2020 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work Environment is pretty nice

Cons

Work load is much much

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Marketing Speicalist

Mar 6, 2019 - Markteing Specialist in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Gensler has an incredibly creative work environment. Every office has a slightly different level of formality, but Houston is pretty professional. I love the nature of my work (fast paced is an understatement) and the company culture. It's a pretty entrepreneurial place, which suits me, so I often get to get involved in things that interest me outside my job description. The people are downright amazing too. More than anywhere else I've ever worked, they are helpful, kind, and make me feel valued.

Cons

There isn't a defined path for marketers, which creates a lot of opportunity but also a lot of ambiguity. If you aren't outspoken about what you want or have a mentor to champion your growth, you can easily stall.

Gensler Response

Thanks for sharing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We love to hear from our people and appreciate everything you shared. Celebrating our diversity and providing every person with professional development opportunities remain priorities for our firm. We appreciate feedback on these issues and relish the chance to better understand our people and their perspectives.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Progressive!

Nov 6, 2019 - Internship in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very collaborative, flexible work environment, inspiring and well-developed internship program

Cons

Expensive city to live in on intern pay with minimal support finding housing

Viewing 1 - 10 of 77 Reviews