Gensler Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jun 9, 2020

3.8
Gensler Co-CEOs Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Pros
Cons
  • "work life balance, too competitive at times(in 48 reviews)

• "Long hours and some directors who are out of touch with employee wellbeing(in 48 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good employer"

Current Employee - Architect in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good work life balance to have

Cons

big corp stuff, levels of management

June 10, 2020

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We value our people and love to hear their perspectives.

"Company Summary"

2.0
    Former Employee - Architect in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice benefit package, and work/life balance, diversity of project type

Cons

Office politic, gossips, back stabbers

June 5, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive.

"Average firm"

I worked at Gensler

Pros

The people working in the firm are nice and friendly in general.

Cons

Lots of politics. It doesn’t matter how hard you work, it is all about who you know and how much influence you have. Most people who gets a leadership position and started from the bottom left the company at some point and then came back in the leadership position a few years later. You can’t really climb the ladder here, you have to make a few jumps. Salary is disappointing and work/life balance is terrible.

Continue reading

February 18, 2020Gensler Response

4. "Great culture and high expectations"

Former Intern - Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Gensler for less than a year

Pros

The company sets very high expectations for the quality of work they do. The culture is fantastic and Gensler truly cares about the wellbeing of their employees. They promote a healthy work/life balance and also strive for success. The amount of possibilities within the company are endless because of the amount of locations worldwide.

Cons

The hours can be long during tight deadlines, but they prioritize efficiency in their work.

5. "Designer"

Former Employee - Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people, work-life balance, great talent, supportive management team

Cons

Slow pace, various project levels

December 18, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks so much for the feedback. We love to hear from our alumni and wish you all the best in your current and future endeavors.

"Overall great opportunity"

4.0
    Former Employee - Interior Designer

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and hard working staff. Everyone is willing to talk through design problems and help

Cons

Long hours and no work life balance.

November 20, 2019Gensler Response

7. "Overall, a good internship"

Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Gensler for less than a year

Pros

The people at my office were very kind and supportive, and they really try their best to give the interns a great experience. Expect project tours and after-work happy hours. The full-time employees were very intentional in trying to include and mentor the interns, in my experience. If you like free food and fun events, Gensler definitely has you covered! There were lots of philanthropy/community-minded projects. Gensler is an extremely innovative firm at the cutting edge of design, and it's super cool to get exposure to the various projects and initiatives as an intern. I learned so much about architecture + design and will never look at a building in the same way again. I also learned that interior design does not equal interior decorating! They definitely invest in leadership development at Gensler and are dedicated to empowering their employees in every way possible. Also, at the team that I worked in, multiple people took PTO while I was there, so I definitely think that aspect of work-life balance is healthy/encouraged. Overall, Gensler is a great place to intern, and having it on your resume will definitely open up a lot of doors, especially if you're in the architecture/interior design world.

Cons

Your experience depends largely on your specific office- my office was a lot more formal, while apparently other offices wear flip flops to work. I noticed that at my specific office, it was a norm for people to stay late and work long hour, but I think that's partly because a lot of the architects just really, really love what they do. As a non-architecture intern, I felt excluded and undervalued from the greater office at times. Some of my architecture intern friends complained that they got thrown on projects at an awkward time in and were given busy work-type tasks to complete. This is reflective of the larger architecture industry as a whole, but my office had very little diversity. I could count the number of black employees on one hand. There definitely is a talent gap from when the recession hit, as almost 100% of principals are older white men. At my office, for all the talk about agile working, everybody stayed at their desks. I wanted to take advantage of the flexible working spaces, but I felt like I couldn't.

"Poor Senior Managment"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

High Salary, Good Benefits, Great co-workers

Cons

Long hours, terrible commute, lacks work-life balance

Continue reading

November 12, 2019Gensler Response

Thank you for your feedback. We treat workplace concerns seriously and address them in accordance with our internal policies and procedures. We have multiple channels for reporting issues, including direct access to leadership and HR professionals within our firm, as well as by phone or webform. We train and encourage our team members to use the channel that they are most comfortable with. Encouraging everyone to ask questions and provide honest feedback is critical to supporting our culture and our values of integrity, trust and mutual respect.

9. "Fair and enjoyable"

Current Employee - Studio Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great environment to work and grow. Many opportunities to advance. If you assert yourself in the right way you will go far

Cons

wildly successful and great opportunities come at a cost. W Work life balance will suffer a little if you want to advances

September 11, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback! We take pride in fostering an exceptional professional experience for all our people!

10. "Great People and Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and culture. Chances to grow professionally by working with top clients across several industries. Work-life balance. Amazing office.

Cons

Pay could be a bit better.

July 24, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the fantastic feedback! We love to hear from our people!

Found 83 reviews