KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Gensler

Engaged Employer

Gensler

Add a Review

Gensler Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 15, 2021

Found 90 of over 1,456 reviews

3.9
Gensler Co-CEOs Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Pros
  • "easy going work environment for all(in 65 reviews)

• "Working with great people and great design(in 64 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours and some directors who are out of touch with employee wellbeing(in 55 reviews)

• "hard to achieve work-life balance due to heavy load on works(in 52 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Gensler and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Good workplace

Oct 19, 2020 - Architectural Designer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great design culture. Aspires to create good work life balance for all.

Cons

The corporate mentality and promotions process.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Pretty good

Jan 15, 2021 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

I liked working there but work life balance was tough

Cons

You'll work a ton of hours

Gensler Response

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive and will share your comments with leadership .

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Appears to have a great culture, but look beyond and see sexism, racism, and extreme politics

Sep 8, 2020 - Architectural Designer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Numerous activities, resources, and events. Access to large scale prominent projects, great peers, Looks good on a resume. Generally good work life balance, depending upon projects and studio.

Cons

Incredibly political, toxic culture, sexism, and racism abound. Difficult to get well-rounded experience. Lower pay than competitors. Difficult to change studios or offices, even though the firm advertises this as an option during recruiting. Continuous turn-over. The firm doesn't value one's unique personality traits, they want an employee to adjust to fit the ideal Gensler typology, Loud and obnoxious with mediocre design sensibility.

5 people found this review helpful

Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback. We treat workplace concerns seriously and address them in accordance with our internal policies and procedures. We have multiple channels for reporting issues and we train and encourage our team members to use them. Encouraging everyone to ask questions and provide honest feedback is critical to supporting our culture and our values of integrity, trust and mutual respect. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with the firm’s leadership.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Professional

Aug 23, 2020 - Interior Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Top notch professional environment with thought leaders of the industry.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult

Gensler Response

Thanks so much for the feedback. We love to hear from our alumni and wish you all the best in your current and future endeavors

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

recommended

Oct 13, 2020 - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

great work-life balance and good benefits

Cons

convenstional designs and not a lot of inovation

Gensler Response

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate our alumni and value their perspectives.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

N/A

Oct 13, 2020 - Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Promoting employees within the company

Cons

Hard work life balance, long hours

1 person found this review helpful

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good employer

Jun 9, 2020 - Architect in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

good work life balance to have

Cons

big corp stuff, levels of management

Gensler Response

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We value our people and love to hear their perspectives.

8. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great culture and high expectations

Feb 1, 2020 - Intern in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company sets very high expectations for the quality of work they do. The culture is fantastic and Gensler truly cares about the wellbeing of their employees. They promote a healthy work/life balance and also strive for success. The amount of possibilities within the company are endless because of the amount of locations worldwide.

Cons

The hours can be long during tight deadlines, but they prioritize efficiency in their work.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Average firm

Feb 16, 2020 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people working in the firm are nice and friendly in general.

Cons

Lots of politics. It doesn’t matter how hard you work, it is all about who you know and how much influence you have. Most people who gets a leadership position and started from the bottom left the company at some point and then came back in the leadership position a few years later. You can’t really climb the ladder here, you have to make a few jumps. Salary is disappointing and work/life balance is terrible.

5 people found this review helpful

Gensler Response

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive.

10. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Overall, a good internship

Nov 9, 2019 - Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at my office were very kind and supportive, and they really try their best to give the interns a great experience. Expect project tours and after-work happy hours. The full-time employees were very intentional in trying to include and mentor the interns, in my experience. If you like free food and fun events, Gensler definitely has you covered! There were lots of philanthropy/community-minded projects. Gensler is an extremely innovative firm at the cutting edge of design, and it's super cool to get exposure to the various projects and initiatives as an intern. I learned so much about architecture + design and will never look at a building in the same way again. I also learned that interior design does not equal interior decorating! They definitely invest in leadership development at Gensler and are dedicated to empowering their employees in every way possible. Also, at the team that I worked in, multiple people took PTO while I was there, so I definitely think that aspect of work-life balance is healthy/encouraged. Overall, Gensler is a great place to intern, and having it on your resume will definitely open up a lot of doors, especially if you're in the architecture/interior design world.

Cons

Your experience depends largely on your specific office- my office was a lot more formal, while apparently other offices wear flip flops to work. I noticed that at my specific office, it was a norm for people to stay late and work long hour, but I think that's partly because a lot of the architects just really, really love what they do. As a non-architecture intern, I felt excluded and undervalued from the greater office at times. Some of my architecture intern friends complained that they got thrown on projects at an awkward time in and were given busy work-type tasks to complete. This is reflective of the larger architecture industry as a whole, but my office had very little diversity. I could count the number of black employees on one hand. There definitely is a talent gap from when the recession hit, as almost 100% of principals are older white men. At my office, for all the talk about agile working, everybody stayed at their desks. I wanted to take advantage of the flexible working spaces, but I felt like I couldn't.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 90 Reviews