Gentex (Michigan) Production Team Member Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 9 reviews

4.6
Gentex (Michigan) CEO Steve Downing
Steve Downing
  1. "Better than a lot of jobs"

Current Employee - Production Team Member

I have been working at Gentex (Michigan) full-time for less than a year

Pros

Quarterly bonus Tuition reimbursement Not customer service

Cons

The company is pretty big and sometimes it is hard to reach out to people in the company for help. Also sometimes you might get over-time dropped on you with too little notice.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. I know you care about your workers but listening is important too. For example I have reached out to HR to learn about career advancement and I never heard back.

Gentex (Michigan)2019-04-05
  2. "Production team member"

Former Employee - Production Team Member in Pullman, MI

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you work with and the incitement was really good at gentex

Cons

The management was really poor at gentex

Advice to Management

Be strict and set goals and be fare to all workers and hit numbers and time we are sappose to hit

Gentex (Michigan)2017-08-02

"Good job depending on management"

Current Employee - Production Team Member

I have been working at Gentex (Michigan) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Quarterly bonus, employee picnics at Michigan Adventure, Potlucks. There is advancement and job shadow opportunities, as long as your manager is okay with it.

Cons

If a manager you work for doesn't like you, they can prevent you from going anywhere.

Gentex (Michigan)2016-09-24

"Great company, needs better management"

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bonuses are nice. Most co-workers are great to work with, clean environment, great break rooms.

Cons

I used to love going to work. Things have changed for the worst in oec!! Breaks are short & support staff is always changing your break times around. Some of the support staff have no business being in their positions. Group leaders play favorites and treat everyone else with little respect. No one listens to the staff on line!! Our ideas and opinions are ignored. Without a degree you will not move up, which is sad... because a lot us know more about our lines that the people they bring in with degrees. Lately a lot of people are being promoted to spots they shouldn't have. Focus has went back to numbers not quality. Hourly pay needs to be raised for employees with seniority. Overtime hits in the summer so that takes away from family time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your online staff!! The ones making the parts everyday know what they are talking about. Watch your offline workers better, some abuse their position and it's going unnoticed. The people online deserve better than what they are getting!

Gentex (Michigan)2016-04-21

"Great first job"

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have their quarterly bonus which is their one seemingly redeeming quality. A set schedule is nice for those transitioning out of retail.

Cons

Management is horrible at listening to their workers. The bonus is a tool designed to keep wages low. The ceo is losing his mind. No opporunity for advancement without a technical degree.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Raise base pay. Allow for advancement without degrees. Don't put people who think they will be engineers is supervisor positions not doing any engineering since it leaves them bitter and they take it out on their workers.

Gentex (Michigan)2016-04-24

"Horrible, your just a warm body to Gentex."

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time

Pros

Let's see, the quarterly bonuses are nice but they only serve to bring your pay up to competitors hourly pay. They make you feel all special for getting it like the company is doing you a huge favor.

Cons

Continually raising the demands for hourly production line members. Hello management??? You can't just keep coming up with a bigger goal number and expect people to meet it just by saying so. Forced weekend overtime. To meet unrealistic weekly/daily parts goals. Focusing on quantity over quality. If I was buying a car with one of these mirrors I would prefer the employee to take an extra second and make sure it... is perfect. Especially with the price of cars nowdays.

Advice to Management

Reasonable daily goals? 3050 is not reasonable and likely just some number an "engineer" pulled out of his head. Treat hourly team members as more than just warm robots. Stop showing favoritism and only talking to some employees.

Gentex (Michigan)2016-03-21
  7. "Great Factory Positions"

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No fault attendance policy. Good Vacation, Benifits, Time off Yearly Bonuses. Room for advancement within the company. Easy work if you can keep up with rates.

Cons

Hours flucuate greatly from less than 40 hours to 60 hours a week depending on the line you work for. Difficult to get time off around the holidays. Poor Communcation between departments can lead to frustration amongst employees.

Advice to Management

Improve communication between departments. Actually listen to your employees issues instead of just pretending.

Gentex (Michigan)2016-03-01

"Production"

Current Employee - Production Team Member in Zeeland, MI

I have been working at Gentex (Michigan) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a nice place to work, plenty of overtime and room for growth or promotion. It's clean and organized for the most part. It has one of the best cafeteria I've seen - primarily the East building.

Cons

As with all work places, there may be a few rotten apples who bring down morale for other employees in general. It doesn't pay nearly as well in the long run compared to other manufacturing plants; unless of course you are salaried.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally and take no sides. Respect and listen to everyone.

Gentex (Michigan)2015-07-20
  9. "Great working environment!"

Former Employee - Production Team Member in Zeeland, MI

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful temperature control and facility. Great team of workers and our health amd safety are really important to the company!

Cons

None that I can think of. I enjoyed working there!

Gentex (Michigan)2013-10-23