Gentex (Michigan) Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gentex (Michigan) Chairman and CEO Fred T. Bauer
Fred T. Bauer

Pros
  • Great work environment, really team oriented place (in 18 reviews)

• Quarterly profit sharing bonuses can be pretty significant if the company is doing well (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Base salary is far lower that competitive companies, they make up for it with quarterly bonuses (in 5 reviews)

• Long hours of work sometimes make you think of going back to hourly position or the position that will pay overtime (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good but a lot of politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zeeland, MI

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing but is slowing down

Cons

base pay is below market average. Using bonus' and stock to "offset" that but the stock has been worthless for years.

Advice to Management

Get rid of stock options and give out raises across the board.

2. "Engineer"

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative culture, ability to move to different areas within the company, opportunities to learn new skills, take classes, etc. Tries to maintain a small-company feel even as it grows. Stock options and quarterly bonuses.

Cons

The pay is lower than competitors, and talented engineers often leave and make 15-20% more elsewhere (although this can potentially be offset by bonuses and stock options). When salaries do increase for new hires because they can't get people to accept offers, new hires with no experience end up making as much or more than people with much more experience.

3. "Solid Company"

Former Employee - Final Assembly in Grand Haven, MI
    Former Employee - Final Assembly in Grand Haven, MI

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean, quiet, and pretty easy work.

Cons

The employees on the assembly line receive only a 10-minute break halfway through the day, and then a 20-minute break an hour before the end of the day. Scheduling time off is nearly impossible for newer employees too.

Advice to Management

Loyal employees should not have to wait 6 months to reapply.

4. "Great atmosphere"

Former Employee - Big Bad Auditor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Big Bad Auditor in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome profit sharing program, great health insurance, team-centered atmosphere, focus on innovation and quality. Team leaders were very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Bullying that got out of hand.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Saginaw, MI

Pros

Very innovative company. Latest, greatest technologies. Great place for entry level engineers to start their careers. Reputable company throughout the state. One of the best companies in West Michigan.

Cons

Compensatory packages are not above what you could get at many other companies. In most cases, you could get much better somewhere else, especially if you're flexible enough to relocate.

Advancement opportunities are available within the company, but it's highly competitive (that's good for the company, not so good for you), and in a lot of cases, you have to have friends in the right places. "It's not what you know, it's who you know" mentality certainly applies at this company. Network well, and you'll go places at Gentex.

These cons were my biggest knocks on this company when I was employed there. Otherwise, a solid company to work for.

Advice to Management

Give promotions and advancement opportunities to employees more based on merit. Merit (an employee's career portfolio and what they've earned) should have a weight factor of at least 80%. I never felt that was the case during the time I was employed there. Sadly, not even close to that at times.

"Great company, needs better management"

Former Employee - Production Team Member in Zeeland, MI
    Former Employee - Production Team Member in Zeeland, MI

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses are nice. Most co-workers are great to work with, clean environment, great break rooms.

Cons

I used to love going to work. Things have changed for the worst in oec!! Breaks are short & support staff is always changing your break times around. Some of the support staff have no business being in their positions. Group leaders play favorites and treat everyone else with little respect. No one listens to the staff on line!! Our ideas and opinions are ignored. Without a degree you will not move up, which is sad because a lot us know more about our lines that the people they bring in with degrees. Lately a lot of people are being promoted to spots they shouldn't have. Focus has went back to numbers not quality. Hourly pay needs to be raised for employees with seniority. Overtime hits in the summer so that takes away from family time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your online staff!! The ones making the parts everyday know what they are talking about. Watch your offline workers better, some abuse their position and it's going unnoticed. The people online deserve better than what they are getting!

7. "A Great Starter Job"

Former Employee - Production Support Engineer in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Production Support Engineer in Grandville, MI

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Coming out of college this was a great place to start, great culture and room to grow.
    -Bonus structure is great (however this is partially a con as well)
    -Management is committed to making you as successful as possible in your position.
    -The PSE role is a fantastic look into the product that made this company successful.

Cons

-If you are coming out of school, you are essentially forced into the PSE role regardless of aptitude for managing people. This may have changed since I was hired back in 2011.
    -Base salary is far lower that competitive companies, they make up for it with quarterly bonuses... which would be great if a recent grad only had expenses coming once a quarter. That's why I say this is a pro and con.
    -Just before I moved positions, the PSE role was stripped of the hands on and really technical duties. Which for me that didn't jive because of my desire to be hands on.

Advice to Management

Honestly keep doing what you are doing, what I had to say for cons is really nit picky! But wanted to be honest.

8. "automotive supplier making a profit"

Former Employee - Engineer in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Holland, MI

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

it is in west Michigan (great place to live)
    Since the company makes good money there is less concern over layoffs
    clean work place, good people, stock options for salaried folks.

Cons

automotive = long hours, high pressure
    for mechanical designers a mirror can get old. For electrical engineer may be more fun.

Advice to Management

none needed based on success so far.

9. "Good people, good hours, and decent pay"

Former Employee - Final Assembly in Zeeland, MI
    Former Employee - Final Assembly in Zeeland, MI

I worked at Gentex (Michigan) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean environment, good management, great hours with good overtime, treated employees with respect

Cons

Worked through temp agency and took over a year to get hired in, sometimes management would screw up, co-workers could be sketchy at times

Advice to Management

Communicate more efficiently to employees, hire in temps faster, would probably help lower the turnover rate

10. "Decent Company"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Process Technician in Zeeland, MI
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Process Technician in Zeeland, MI

Pros

Great people and a good clean work environment. Management actively requests input from employees and it seems like they really do care. Funding for good projects is usually not an issue.

Cons

Production is commonly understaffed and working Saturdays and Sundays has become somewhat acceptable/normal. I can appreciate the lean manufacturing model, but I think management has taken it to far in some cases.

Advice to Management

Reward salary members with performance bonuses. There is little incentive to work at peak level when good performance is only rewarded with company profit sharing.