Gentle Giant Moving Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 11, 2019

4.3
Larry O'Toole

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Tips, flexible schedule, great coworkers, good way to stay fit, able to travel around the New England area, and opportunity for overtime" (in 8 reviews)

• "Great people and great earning potential" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work is physically demanding, but it is a great opportunity to get in shape" (in 3 reviews)

• "Hard to know if you are working the next day when the email is sent out late at night sometimes" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great summer job"

Former Employee - Mover in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Mover in Boston, MA

I worked at Gentle Giant Moving Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to move around a lot, see a lot of cool houses and apartments, pays well

Cons

No cons if you enjoy the physicality of the work

2. "I worked at Gentle Giant over the Summer"

Current Employee - Mover
    Current Employee - Mover

I have been working at Gentle Giant Moving Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working days, employees have the ability to create their own calendars based on days which they are free

Great sense of teamwork on the job which allows for a very fun and enjoyable work environment

Very rewarding experience, due to the strenuous nature of moving furniture I was able to get much more physical fit and functionally strong

Social skills, when doing jobs for such a variety of different types of customers I learned how to be more direct and clear with the customer

Cons

Difficult work, moving furniture in the hot summer is not an easy task

Hours are not set in stone so there is a daily chance of having a longer day than expected

3. "Well-rounded company"

Current Employee - Driver/Mover in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Driver/Mover in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Gentle Giant Moving Company part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Gentle Giant has been an amazing experience so far! The Gentle Giant community is unlike any other company. What sets us apart from other companies is the care that we receive from Managers, Office members, other co-workers and the entire community as a whole. It is a positive and extremely hardworking community to be surrounded by in a workforce. There are extremely flexible work hours, and you make your own monthly schedule. On top of all this, it is a job, but also your own "gym" day in and day out!

Cons

Hard to know if you are working the next day when the email is sent out late at night sometimes.

Advice to Management

4. "Great environment"

Former Employee - Driver/Mover
    Former Employee - Driver/Mover

I worked at Gentle Giant Moving Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open schedule, with good pay

Cons

Non set hours, with down season in the winter

5. "I worked at GG during the summer (2018)"

Former Employee - Mover in Readville, MA
    Former Employee - Mover in Readville, MA

I worked at Gentle Giant Moving Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips, flexible schedule, great coworkers, good way to stay fit, able to travel around the New England area, and opportunity for overtime. Specifically, I would recommend working out of the Readville warehouse.

Cons

Days can be long and the summer heat can make some days tough.

6. "Great Place to Work as a College Student"

I have been working at Gentle Giant Moving Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible schedule (great for sports)
    - Good pay
    - Ability for tips
    - Good co-workers
    - Keeps you in shape
    - Ability to work during school vacation

Cons

- Duration of the workday can be unpredictable, but it justs take some getting used
       to

7. "Most rewarding work experience ever"

I have been working at Gentle Giant Moving Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Gentle Giant, you meet very interesting people every day; from the people that you work with, to the people that you move. It is a great way to stay, or get in shape as after 3 months, I was the fittest I had ever been in my life. The job also instils great values such as patience, adaptability, professionalism, attitude, and teamwork. You can also find yourself doing a lot of problem-solving every day as you figure out how to remove a sleeper couch through a tiny door frame. Overall I have had a wonderful experience working here, where the bad days are greatly overshadowed by the great days that I have had working for Gentle Giant.

Cons

It can be hard to plan stuff on days that you are working as some days you may work longer than originally listed

8. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Mover in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Mover in Newton, MA

Pros

I was blown away by the professionalism and kindness that was given to me on day 1 at working at this company. My manager is super friendly and constructive in his advice when on the job, and my coworkers are consistently very friendly and inviting. The management is also really down to earth, giving hard workers opportunities to thrive in the workplace. Love working here, and will continue to for a very long time!

Cons

The work is physically demanding, but it is a great opportunity to get in shape. In high school I was 225 pounds at 5’6”, and by the time I was a sophomore in college I was 160 pounds and was finally comfortable in my body

9. "Driver"

Current Employee - Driver in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Driver in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Gentle Giant Moving Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gentle giant provides me (as a college student) the opportunity to learn from people who are good movers, highly educated, and strong leaders. Also, you make a very good wage.

Cons

Late boating (start time) emails.

10. "Mover"

I have been working at Gentle Giant Moving Company full-time

Pros

Fun people to work with, Tips are great, usually good customers, VERY flexible schedule

Cons

Some people are not fun to work with, company is hiring more dead beats, bad communication between workers and office people