George Street Photo & Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Tim Muller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Assignment managers in the Chicago office are really easy to work with" (in 5 reviews)

• "The casual dress code was also great for days when you wanted to just come to work in sweats" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay and constant demand for productivity" (in 7 reviews)

• "Your new ideas do not matter at all, and there is no room for growth within this company" (in 3 reviews)

1. "I love it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The owners are by far the kindest and most understanding bosses I have ever worked for. I feel like my opinion matters and is taken seriously. I love my team and we share a lot of laughs. I never feel that Sunday night dread that I have with other jobs.

Cons

You have to ask for feedback. You’re not going to make bookoo bucks, but you have the luxury of leaving work at work and enjoying a balanced life. You are calling people who aren’t necessarily expecting to hear from you, so you do get the occasional hang up. If you don’t have a thick skin, a customer service or sales role won’t be your cup of tea.

Advice to Management

Celebrate even the small victories. They add up! Hearing the occasional “great job!” Or “thanks for your hard work today!” means a lot. The smallest encouragement goes a long way.

"Band-aid Fixes"

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time

Pros

Salesforce experience and easy access to public transportation

Cons

I would not recommend working here. Unhappy clients along with unhappy employees. No room for growth, consistent layoffs, micromanaging and low pay to name a few. They don’t care about their employees or clients as they outsource most of their work/company and pay clients to remove or prevent negative reviews.

Advice to Management

Look at the actual issue of why clients and/or employees are unhappy rather than throwing a band-aid on the issue thinking you “fixed” it. Invest in your employees.

3. "Great company. Great work environment."

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Chicago, IL

Pros

I’ve been working for George Street for almost 5 years and love it! We help make a difference for one of the most important days in someone’s life - their wedding day. It’s a great company and the work environment is both fast-paced and easy-going.

-Collaborative team
    -Strong focus on making clients happy
    -The team is empowered to serve the clients
    -Opportunities for growth
    -Recognition for doing a great job
    -Stocked cereal bar and fresh fruit
    -Easy-going atmosphere - casual attire, great music, open loft space

Cons

Because it’s a fast-paced environment, flexibility is key. This type of culture provides an environment where you can learn and grow professionally. But if you’re someone who doesn’t like change, this might not be the right place for you.

"Director of IT"

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working at George Street Photo & Video for the past 8 years has been a thrilling and exciting adventure. Each employee is seen as equals and their ideas are heard. Every employee truly cares about the customer and their experience. The prep leading up to a couples wedding day, their Wedding Day, and thereafter is everyone’s top priority. Being in IT it’s our job that we keep the customer's data secure while moving it quickly through the delivery process. The technology used to manage this process is constantly changing to meet the new demands of the digital age. We have to keep up with technology and are given the freedom to explore new innovative ideas.

The culture is awesome and fun. The space is located in a really cool loft in the up and coming River North neighborhood with really nice cafes/restaurants/bars and art galleries. With new ones opening all the time.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but there's immense pressure to make sure customers are happy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The formula is just right!!

5. "Enjoyable workplace"

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time

Pros

George Street has a very relaxed working atmosphere. Yes, the work is fast paced and the clients can be demanding. Management is happy to let you work out solutions on your own, stepping in only when asked to or if it's absolutely necessary.

Cons

It's a small company, so there's not a lot of opportunities for advancement.

"Cutting edge company!"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many intelligent people working together to better the products and services offered. With constant change in our industry, our company strives to stay on the cutting edge and set an example as the industry leader in wedding photography and videography. Laid back, collaborative environment.

Cons

Simplify some of the unnecessarily complicated processes.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at George Street for about 6 months now. My favorite thing about working here is the relaxed and laid back environment, while still being professional. The employees are all down to earth people who love what they do and are willing to help with anything that is needed. The management team really cares about their employees and respects their hard work. They keep the workplace fun and upbeat! We also get great benefits and awesome work perks! I love the flexible work schedule and that OT is offered. Overall, George Street is an awesome place to work!

Cons

I do not have any cons of working here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!

8. "Unrealistic Expectations and Phony Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to the CTA Brown Line. Some cool people that work there.

Cons

George Street offers a terrible product - plain and simple. There are almost no in-house creatives. So much of their work is outsourced overseas. Everyone working on the front line has to take all of the blame and upset from the clients. It's extremely hard to stand behind a company when you don't think the product you're selling is good or fair. There is such a disconnect between employees and management and employees in different departments. I had to lie to cover up sales consultant’s mistakes on occasion. This is what put me over the edge personally. I could never morally support a company that lies to their customers. Management seems nice and friendly when you first start out there, but they micro-manage your every move and act very phony with you. I think a lot of why they do that is because they have unrealistic pressure from higher up - which isn't necessarily their fault. The office is big and empty. You can immediately sense when you walk in that perhaps this used to be a booming business with lots of employees, but that has since changed. The pay is WAY too low for the amount of work and responsibility they throw on you so quickly. The work environment is extremely unstable as well. People are fired when they don’t sell enough products and people quit when they realize they’re being overworked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

George Street needs to start making a better product. They're spreading themselves too thin and creating unrealistic expectations for their employees.

"Low pay! Terrible product and process. Never work here!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales
    Former Employee - Inside Sales

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Have the option to work from home

Cons

Way underpaid. Always told to do more. Just filling the pockets of the owners. Read the reviews on their work. Brides don’t meet photographer until right before wedding. Any photographer can get hired if they can show 200 shots. Have to lie that it’s a wonderful product when we all know it’s so low quality. Steer clear, you are paid minimum wage when you add up all the time you work.

Advice to Management

Revamp yourself. Quality over quantity. My guess you will be out of business by next year if you don’t change how you operate.

"GS works harder to keep up appearances than put effort into a good system and workplace integrity"

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

office convenient to CTA transit

Cons

management, no job security, inconsistent product / service, jobs and processes are outsourced to save money