George Street Photo & Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Muller

Pros
  • And some clients are easy to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Assignment managers in the Chicago office are really easy to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not only do they overwork their employees, but they pretty much shortchange their contractors and clients in every way possible (in 3 reviews)

• They say you can move up to lead photographer but as an associate you never shoot a full wedding (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great place to grow! One of my First HR/Recruiting Roles!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive teams
    Down to Earth HR
    CEO and Leaders know your name
    Relaxed Envrionment (I came in after the gym and worked all day in workout gear! They value talent, dedication, and drive over slacks and suits!)

Cons

The only con was the cereal bar never had fruity pebbles. ;)

Advice to Management

Keep on being down to earth and respectful of your employees. As an HR Professional, I know our people and talent are the life of our organization; when I see Leaders and Teams feel and act the same way, it is beyond rewarding.

2. "videographer"

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to shot a wedding and clients.

Cons

Try to improve your work effort and time some where else. Other studio will pay you more on what you do. This company only pay less and don't care about your work effort . They want one camera operator to shoot in two video camera for an whole day wedding and going to 3 or 4 location for the same pay. Other studio pay you extra for going to 3 or 4 location for a long day wedding. Its better for you to go with another company not this company..

Advice to Management

chrisitne

3. "Videographer"

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some co workers are great to work with. And some clients are easy to work with.

Cons

This company underpays their their employees. Not only do they overwork their employees, but they pretty much shortchange their contractors and clients in every way possible. Also going to 4 location and shooting in two dslr camera at the same time with less money. Only things is you can't or unable to show your talent here with a short time period that they are selling to their clients with less then 8 hrs.

Advice to Management

This company is bad. Showing clients some great work and at the end some of their co workers don't have any talent and doing the old fashion way of style nothing new.

"Energetic Atmosphere, Exhausting Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukegan, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a ton at this fast-growing company and advanced quickly. Casual dress code. Fast-paced. Team atmosphere. Fun office happy hours. Beautiful office in River North.

Cons

High volume, not high quality photography company. Had to deal with very upset clients. Was expected to work long hours with a crushing workload.

Advice to Management

Find ways to increase the quality of work you are producing so employees are proud to be part of the company. Treat employees like they have a life outside of work, you'll be more likely to retain them.

"Lead Photographer"

Current Employee - Lead Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Lead Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to get your feet in the field of wedding photography. You don't have to worry about marketing yourself or meeting with couples so that frees up a lot of time for you to pursue your own jobs. You basically shoot and burn. There are a lot of couples out there who want the world from you and when they feel they don't get it and complain to management, management has your back.

Cons

Since you do not meet with the couples prior to the wedding you never know quite who or what you'll get. One wedding will be high end and the next, well not so much!

Advice to Management

Ive been with GS for about 4 years now and since they have grown so much, the emphasis on creativity and making sure the employees are happy has dwindled. Stop spreading your employees so thin and think about their value. We are all generally under paid.

"Never hated a job so much"

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were talented, hard- working people.

Cons

This company underpays their talent members and their employees. Not only do they overwork their employees, but they pretty much shortchange their contractors and clients in every way possible.

The atmosphere is full of cliques, leaving teams pitted against each other and pointing the blame for the million terrible Yelp! reviews. If you stand up for what you think is right, even respectfully so, you better change your your tune to fit what upper management deems right.

Upper management has lost full sight of what makes a good product and how to treat employees. Managers are tricked into lying to their contractors, and wedding coordinators and sales consultants are tricked into lying to their clients.

On top of that, the end all product that brides and grooms get is not user friendly, and not what a complete set of wedding photos should be. Clients are tricked into buying a product where they have to put in a ton of work and receive unedited images. If I used GS for my wedding photos or video, I would cry.

I've never had the life sucked out of me like I did while working for GS.

Advice to Management

It's not all about money. Your product is suffering because you're worried about expanding and getting more weddings. There is a reason your employees leave and your contractors don't like working for you.

You're overworking everyone in your company. You have a lot of talent there, you should be mindful of how you use it.

"good company culture, not much room for advancement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video (More than 3 years)

Pros

great company culture. really cool young staff. good starter job

Cons

no room for job growth. company is a bit disorganized and employees don't receive any benefits until 6 months in. depending on what department, the hours/expectations can be tough.

Advice to Management

listen and implement some staff suggestions, create more growth opportunities to keep top performers.

"Associate Photographer"

Current Employee - Associate Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video (Less than a year)

Pros

Contract Assignments are given to me on a regular basis. The Assignment Manager are professional, upbeat, and pretty awesome. Other GSPV photographers and videographers I work with are High quality and professional.

Cons

None have been presented to me currently

Advice to Management

None

"Surprised at the other reviews as I love it!"

Current Employee - Lead Photographer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Photographer in Miami, FL

Pros

I've been working with them as a lead photographer for over three years now. Maybe it's different for those who work in office versus as a contracted photographer. But my experience has always been exceedingly wonderful. They have always pain on time, including little things that add up like parking fees. When we complain about something as employees they have shown numerous times they listen. They changed the hours based on our observations. They have changed the seasonal pay based on our observations. They have changed their editing based on our observations. They have even changed their calendars based on our observation...all aka complaining. They have always shown kindness, respect, and understanding even when being hit with bad attitudes from the occasional moody person. And out of all of my years, they have always listened and been understanding when I've had issues. If I had a second shooter I didn't work well with(personality/style clashes), they quit putting me with them. I became pregnant 2x and had to cancel a few weddings around my due date, they didn't even blink and congratulated me instead. I have questions, they answer. Always politely and with respect. I have issues, they work with me until everyone's happy. The bride has issues, they don't immediately blame us and instead find out what's going on. Considering we only take the pictures, and don't edit, cull, etc...I decided to move from Miami to Tampa and they have set me up in my new market. The pay is actually pretty good and they get me clients I would've never had access to before. Now my portfolio is tricked out with amazing venues and couples that would've cost me a fortune to market for. I have never had a better company to work for and I appreciate them for all of their hard work and kindness. Also, I've created some amazing connections, and some of the other GSers have become my best friends. We're a family. Even though my skill and demand are good enough to work completely on my own, I love them too much to ever leave.

Cons

Hmm..tough one. They show sooc images to the clients? They've basically taken care of any of my other complaints so I haven't got anything better than that, and honestly it's just made me push to be a better "get it right in camera" photographer. So it's as much as a bonus, for me, as a negative.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Make people happy in office too for less turnover. I miss my old AMs. They always rocked my socks with their humor and thoughtfulness.

"Great Environment, Great Leaders"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some of the best people in my life while working for this company. There is an overwhelming sense of family working for George Street. You work together as a team to reach a common goal, celebrating everyone's accomplishments and assisting with their mistakes. It was a great work environment for me, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to work with some wonderful people.

Cons

The office space could use some sprucing up. The pay isn't the greatest, but there are a lot of opportunities for raises/promotions for those who are willing to put in the time and effort.

Advice to Management

I think management could do a little more to make their employees feel like they are appreciated. There are many work happy hours, but management rarely attends. Other than that, I think they are doing a great job.