George Street Photo & Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Tim Muller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Assignment managers in the Chicago office are really easy to work with (in 5 reviews)

• Friendly co-workers, laid back environment and dress code (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, especially for the river north area of Chicago (in 5 reviews)

• Not only do they overwork their employees, but they pretty much shortchange their contractors and clients in every way possible (in 3 reviews)

1. "editor"

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment when it comes to co-workers. very talented focused young urban professionals.

Cons

inflexible work schedules. losing creative focus, pay incongruous with labor

Advice to Management

focus on employees interest and celebrate them, recalculate pay for professionals,

2. "Sucks"

Pros

I would not recommend working here

Cons

Very, very, very low pay

"George Street/Orion Photo Group"

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time

Pros

There are (or were at least)lots of good people who work there, who want to be creating better products.

Cons

Outsources everything. Zero in-house creatives. No oversight or product quality control. Puts all the blame on the photographers, and gives bare minimum support on the back end post production side.

Advice to Management

Show you care about the product and not just the bottom line. Shooting the actual photos is only maybe 25% of the actual work that goes into producing good images. You need to support your talent with quality post production work and stop farming it out to the lowest bidder. Take back control over your product.

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Wedding Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Wedding Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young people work in the office. You can literally wear pajamas to work.

Cons

Where do I start.... They lie to you in the interview to make it sound a lot better, to get you in. Employee turnover is really high. They hired a bunch of people last year thinking sales would be high, and then ended up doing huge lay offs. At that point a huge group of people decided to quit. The company is not doing well at all, and there are bets in the office on when the company will shut down.

There are so many empty desks in the office and it feels so empty. Also, the office is always freezing. People bring blankets and wear their winter jackets because it gets so cold.

Management does not respect you at all, and they sit on Facebook all day and online shop, while micromanaging you. Your new ideas do not matter at all, and there is no room for growth within this company. It's a job where you will work for 1 year max then leave. They constantly tell you to wait for future projects and to be patient about moving up, which after years of being there has not happened at all.

The pay is horrible. And since everyone in the office is young, they treat you like it's your first job out of college. There is a salary cap within departments, so since there is no room for growth, you will eventually hit that cap.

Overall, this company is going downhill and will not last unless some major changes happen.

Advice to Management

Sit down and listen to your employees ideas. Do not talk down to employees. Stop sitting on Facebook all day and shopping. Stop micromanaging.

"3 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people in office to create friendships.
    Free breakfast items
    Younger office
    Laid back
    Free dress code

Cons

At times it can get really slow
    Needs a restructure in management
    Could pay a little more for the additional task you may have to take on

6. "Great if you're just out of college"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Laidback, extremely casual dress code and workplace
    *Free cereal with choice of milk (soy, nut, etc.)
    *Would sometimes bust out the popcorn machine or bring in a slushie machine
    *Easy to get to from the Brown and somewhat easy from the Red

Cons

*Average age is probably 24-25, outside of management. This is great if you're just graduated but not a company you can grow your career with and eventually you'll have to leave to move up
    *Had lots of lay offs every quarter and from what I hear, the team has shrunken to probably 1/3 of its size when I was there.

Advice to Management

I actually really liked the owners and wish them all the best! They were more than fair to me when I was laid off and provided severance when they didn't need to.

"Sales Consultant"

I worked at George Street Photo & Video (More than a year)

Pros

This was a great starter job. If you're fresh out of college and need work experience this is perfect. In the beginning, while it was in the growth stage, it gave me an opportunity to learn what to do (and mostly, what not to do) when building a brand. The work environment was casual.

Cons

1) This was not a long term gig. I was there for 3 years and quickly realized that there was a ceiling in terms of upward mobility. 2) It's kind of a thankless job, you can really work hard there and not be compensated fairly and management shows no appreciation for their employees. They just didn't seem to value their staff.

"Energetic and Exhausting"

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team environment within your department, stay very busy, work closely with the owners

Cons

Growth is limited, other departments you don't connect with easily,

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when they come to you with solutions to problems around the office, felt a lot of positive input was left unheard or in limbo.

9. "Great place to grow! One of my First HR/Recruiting Roles!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive teams
    Down to Earth HR
    CEO and Leaders know your name
    Relaxed Envrionment (I came in after the gym and worked all day in workout gear! They value talent, dedication, and drive over slacks and suits!)

Cons

The only con was the cereal bar never had fruity pebbles. ;)

Advice to Management

Keep on being down to earth and respectful of your employees. As an HR Professional, I know our people and talent are the life of our organization; when I see Leaders and Teams feel and act the same way, it is beyond rewarding.

10. "career door closes as fast as it opens"

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

office job allows for fun interaction with colleagues, fun networking, and is a door opener for the wedding/sales/event planning industry, super accessible transit

Cons

employees not compensated appropriately for the work, raises are scarce, problems are fixed with bandaids rather than fixed company wide, no growth, not taken seriously

Advice to Management

stop with the purges. just stop.