George Street Photo & Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Tim Muller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Assignment managers in the Chicago office are really easy to work with (in 5 reviews)

• Friendly co-workers, laid back environment and dress code (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and constant demand for productivity (in 6 reviews)

• They just have high turnover because they hire cheap, run people ragged and then they quit (in 3 reviews)

1. "editor"

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment when it comes to co-workers. very talented focused young urban professionals.

Cons

inflexible work schedules. losing creative focus, pay incongruous with labor

Advice to Management

focus on employees interest and celebrate them, recalculate pay for professionals,

"GS works harder to keep up appearances than put effort into a good system and workplace integrity"

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

office convenient to CTA transit

Cons

management, no job security, inconsistent product / service, jobs and processes are outsourced to save money

3. "Glorified hourly data entry job"

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time

Pros

Mostly young people working there so I made friends. It was decent experience with using Salesforce and I got to dip my toes in social media management.

Cons

Low pay and constant demand for productivity. Even if we hit or exceeded our goals, it wasn't good enough. They just have high turnover because they hire cheap, run people ragged and then they quit. There's no chance for promotion or a raise. If you're in the marketing team, you're glorified data entry. They took advantage of my skills and had me doing work outside my job title for a fraction of what they should have paid. I asked to be paid fairly, or even closer to it, and they said no. I quit, they realized how much I was doing, and then hired someone new to do it and paid them double what I had asked for.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly.

"DO NOT WORK HERE!!! Only people more unhappy than employees are the clients."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The two Keurigs in the kitchen, and leaving an hour early on Fridays. That's about it.

Cons

Company clearly needs a superhero to step up and turn things around. In comparison to other companies, this company is LIGHT YEARS behind. Constant complaints from clients about product quality (just look at their Yelp page and see for yourself.) It's really sad actually. Actual editors take smoke breaks every hour but other employees don't get small breaks. Micromanaging management that push escalated situations off to you, but then name drops manager titles to clients when it conveniences them. No room for growth unless someone gets fired and they are too lazy to search for someone new. HIGH turnaround. 95% of staff that was there when I was hired is no longer there. All of the pleasant people who worked there are no longer there, and with good reason. People quit when they find out the way that shady things are handled, and when people are fired, management waits on you to gather your belongings and escorts you out in less than 3 minutes like a criminal. If you take too long to pack up, they will ask you to leave and that they will pack up your items and ship them. Glad I left when I did, this company is a sinking ship that is holding on by the skin of its teeth. I would not recommend working here if you actually want to love what you do and believe in the company you work for.

Advice to Management

STOP MICROMANAGING. Half of the time the management team is incapable of solving problems but want to talk down to you like an idiot. Stop being condescending and fake. Work towards actually improving things in the company that need to be improved (basically everything) so your clients are happy. Stop making excuses for yourselves and actually make a change, but if you don't its not like the world will miss out on any real talent.

"It was okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people. Clean working environment. Great location.

Cons

Specific: Minor micromanaging issues. Unrealistic demands. Due to several people leaving once a year, one person would have two or more shoes they would need to fill.

General: Unstable company type. Noticed a lot of changes in the company's direction over the years, due to the number of competition.

Advice to Management

Everyone seems to have everyone's best interest at heart, especially the clients. I still think the company is still in its early stages, and is undergoing a lot of changes based on the market. Only advice is to make the company more quality over quantity focus. As one client mentioned, it seems like George Street Photo & Video is the Walmart of wedding companies.

6. "Sucks"

Pros

I would not recommend working here

Cons

Very, very, very low pay

"George Street/Orion Photo Group"

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time

Pros

There are (or were at least)lots of good people who work there, who want to be creating better products.

Cons

Outsources everything. Zero in-house creatives. No oversight or product quality control. Puts all the blame on the photographers, and gives bare minimum support on the back end post production side.

Advice to Management

Show you care about the product and not just the bottom line. Shooting the actual photos is only maybe 25% of the actual work that goes into producing good images. You need to support your talent with quality post production work and stop farming it out to the lowest bidder. Take back control over your product.

"3 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people in office to create friendships.
    Free breakfast items
    Younger office
    Laid back
    Free dress code

Cons

At times it can get really slow
    Needs a restructure in management
    Could pay a little more for the additional task you may have to take on

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Wedding Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Wedding Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young people work in the office. You can literally wear pajamas to work.

Cons

Where do I start.... They lie to you in the interview to make it sound a lot better, to get you in. Employee turnover is really high. They hired a bunch of people last year thinking sales would be high, and then ended up doing huge lay offs. At that point a huge group of people decided to quit. The company is not doing well at all, and there are bets in the office on when the company will shut down.

There are so many empty desks in the office and it feels so empty. Also, the office is always freezing. People bring blankets and wear their winter jackets because it gets so cold.

Management does not respect you at all, and they sit on Facebook all day and online shop, while micromanaging you. Your new ideas do not matter at all, and there is no room for growth within this company. It's a job where you will work for 1 year max then leave. They constantly tell you to wait for future projects and to be patient about moving up, which after years of being there has not happened at all.

The pay is horrible. And since everyone in the office is young, they treat you like it's your first job out of college. There is a salary cap within departments, so since there is no room for growth, you will eventually hit that cap.

Overall, this company is going downhill and will not last unless some major changes happen.

Advice to Management

Sit down and listen to your employees ideas. Do not talk down to employees. Stop sitting on Facebook all day and shopping. Stop micromanaging.

10. "Great if you're just out of college"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Laidback, extremely casual dress code and workplace
    *Free cereal with choice of milk (soy, nut, etc.)
    *Would sometimes bust out the popcorn machine or bring in a slushie machine
    *Easy to get to from the Brown and somewhat easy from the Red

Cons

*Average age is probably 24-25, outside of management. This is great if you're just graduated but not a company you can grow your career with and eventually you'll have to leave to move up
    *Had lots of lay offs every quarter and from what I hear, the team has shrunken to probably 1/3 of its size when I was there.

Advice to Management

I actually really liked the owners and wish them all the best! They were more than fair to me when I was laid off and provided severance when they didn't need to.