George Street Photo & Video Reviews

Updated Mar 23, 2020

George Street Photo & Video CEO Tim Muller (no image)
Tim Muller
Pros
  • "Puts you in a solid network of photographers(in 15 reviews)

• "The prep leading up to a couples wedding day, their Wedding Day, and thereafter is everyone’s top priority(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Brides don’t meet photographer until right before wedding(in 16 reviews)

• "I was contracted to shoot several weddings for George Street, then COVID hit(in 7 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Great company. Great work environment."

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve been working for George Street for almost 5 years and love it! We help make a difference for one of the most important days in someone’s life - their wedding day. It’s a great company and the work environment is both fast-paced and easy-going. -Collaborative team -Strong focus on making clients happy -The team is empowered to serve the clients -Opportunities for growth -Recognition for doing a great job -Stocked cereal bar and fresh fruit -Easy-going atmosphere - casual attire, great music, open loft space

Cons

Because it’s a fast-paced environment, flexibility is key. This type of culture provides an environment where you can learn and grow professionally. But if you’re someone who doesn’t like change, this might not be the right place for you.

2. "Nice Team"

Former Employee - Portfolio Review in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video part-time for less than a year

Pros

Clean office. Pleasant co-workers. Great location.

Cons

Low wage. Low quality of work produced.

"Director of IT"

5.0

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working at George Street Photo & Video for the past 8 years has been a thrilling and exciting adventure. Each employee is seen as equals and their ideas are heard. Every employee truly cares about the customer and their experience. The prep leading up to a couples wedding day, their Wedding Day, and thereafter is everyone’s top priority. Being in IT it’s our job that we keep the customer's data secure while moving it quickly through the delivery process. The technology used to manage this process is constantly changing to meet the new demands of the digital age. We have to keep up with technology and are given the freedom to explore new innovative ideas. The culture is awesome and fun. The space is located in a really cool loft in the up and coming River North neighborhood with really nice cafes/restaurants/bars and art galleries. With new ones opening all the time.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but there's immense pressure to make sure customers are happy.

"Cutting edge company!"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are many intelligent people working together to better the products and services offered. With constant change in our industry, our company strives to stay on the cutting edge and set an example as the industry leader in wedding photography and videography. Laid back, collaborative environment.

Cons

Simplify some of the unnecessarily complicated processes.

5. "Enjoyable workplace"

4.0

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time

Pros

George Street has a very relaxed working atmosphere. Yes, the work is fast paced and the clients can be demanding. Management is happy to let you work out solutions on your own, stepping in only when asked to or if it's absolutely necessary.

Cons

It's a small company, so there's not a lot of opportunities for advancement.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at George Street for about 6 months now. My favorite thing about working here is the relaxed and laid back environment, while still being professional. The employees are all down to earth people who love what they do and are willing to help with anything that is needed. The management team really cares about their employees and respects their hard work. They keep the workplace fun and upbeat! We also get great benefits and awesome work perks! I love the flexible work schedule and that OT is offered. Overall, George Street is an awesome place to work!

Cons

I do not have any cons of working here.

"Band-aid Fixes"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at George Street Photo & Video full-time

Pros

Salesforce experience and easy access to public transportation

Cons

I would not recommend working here. Unhappy clients along with unhappy employees. No room for growth, consistent layoffs, micromanaging and low pay to name a few. They don’t care about their employees or clients as they outsource most of their work/company and pay clients to remove or prevent negative reviews.

Continue reading

"Feels more like a family than a workplace."

Current Employee - Internal Communications in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was able to start as an intern, learn new things, and develop my skills into a full-time position. I was always impressed by the high standards, innovation, and talent that I saw in my team. If you are hard-working and passionate about your skills, GS might be a good fit. Whenever I had problems or concerns management and HR were happy to listen and help. The overall aim towards doing things smarter and better is very important to me in a workplace. From our HQ team to our Field team, lots of intelligent and creative people here!

Cons

During busy season, as with any wedding-related company, workloads can get intense and stress is high. The monthly happy hours help take the edge off :)

Continue reading

"Surprised at the other reviews as I love it!"

Lead Photographer in Miami, FL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video

Pros

I've been working with them as a lead photographer for over three years now. Maybe it's different for those who work in office versus as a contracted photographer. But my experience has always been exceedingly wonderful. They have always pain on time, including little things that add up like parking fees. When we complain about something as employees they have shown numerous times they listen. They changed the hours based on our observations. They have changed the seasonal pay based on our observations. They have changed their editing based on our observations. They have even changed their calendars based on our observation...all aka complaining. They have always shown kindness, respect, and understanding even when being hit with bad attitudes from the occasional moody person. And out of all of my years, they have always listened and been understanding when I've had issues. If I had a second shooter I didn't work well with(personality/style clashes), they quit putting me with them. I became pregnant 2x and had to cancel a few weddings around my due date, they didn't even blink and congratulated me instead. I have questions, they answer. Always politely and with respect. I have issues, they work with me until everyone's happy. The bride has issues, they don't immediately blame us and instead find out what's going on. Considering we only take the pictures, and don't edit, cull, etc...I decided to move from Miami to Tampa and they have set me up in my new market. The pay is actually pretty good and they get me clients I would've never had access to before. Now my portfolio is tricked out with amazing venues and couples that would've cost me a fortune to market for. I have never had a better company to work for and I appreciate them for all of their hard work and kindness. Also, I've created some amazing connections, and some of the other GSers have become my best friends. We're a family. Even though my skill and demand are good enough to work completely on my own, I love them too much to ever leave.

Cons

Hmm..tough one. They show sooc images to the clients? They've basically taken care of any of my other complaints so I haven't got anything better than that, and honestly it's just made me push to be a better "get it right in camera" photographer. So it's as much as a bonus, for me, as a negative.

"Lead Photographer"

Lead Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at George Street Photo & Video for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great place to get your feet in the field of wedding photography. You don't have to worry about marketing yourself or meeting with couples so that frees up a lot of time for you to pursue your own jobs. You basically shoot and burn. There are a lot of couples out there who want the world from you and when they feel they don't get it and complain to management, management has your back.

Cons

Since you do not meet with the couples prior to the wedding you never know quite who or what you'll get. One wedding will be high end and the next, well not so much!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 51 English Reviews