Georgetown University Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Georgetown University President and Director Jack DeGioia
Jack DeGioia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The cost of living pay is not enough to assist with keeping up with inflation (in 14 reviews)

• 355/month for decent health coverage (for a single person) and low salary (in 21 reviews)

"Wasn't treated with respect"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Georgetown University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working schedule, as my position was part time. Occasional free lunch, looks good on resume, many free and interesting events and lectures to attend on campus.

Cons

Often felt left out by permanent staff and was never invited to attend departmental functions/events I helped coordinate (while permanent staff attended). My suggestions for improvements were never acknowledged, and after 6 months of dedicated service, no one had the decency to inform me of when my temporary assignment was going to end. I received a phone call notifying me that my assignment was over and that I didn't have to return to work the next day.

Advice to Management

Treat temporary staff with dignity and include them in workplace functions. Be transparent about employment end dates in order to give honest hardworking temporary employees a chance to make other arrangements.

2. "SCS Faculty Member"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Washington, DC

I worked at Georgetown University part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The administration doesn't really pay much attention to what's taught in the classroom by adjuncts, which allows a certain amount of academic freedom. Regrettably, it also contributes to an atmosphere of social promotion and erodes any quality control over who actually receives a degree.

Cons

Like almost every other higher ed institution, Georgetown grossly underpays its adjunct professors. They highly leveraged my salary in collecting a high multiple in terms of tuition received for the courses I taught.

Advice to Management

Make programs cohesive.

3. "Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Georgetown University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of holiday time based on the academic calendar; good benefits, including tuition waivers for employees after one year of work

Cons

HR personnel and processes are terrible and paychecks are sometimes delayed by months (expect to go 2 - months without receiving your first paycheck due to "processing"; highly vertical management structure with managers who do very little and often take credit for their employees' work in terms of promotion, deliverables, and publications

Advice to Management

Modernize HR and enforce reasonable HR policies

4. "Administration Staff Position"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Georgetown University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back; good work-life balance; good for parents busy with children; decent benefits if you want free tuition and if you're senior staff and AAP

Cons

Terrible benefits and salary if you're not senior staff and AAP; salary far lower than federal government and most other organizations in DC; no mobility or increase in compensation at Law School but not that way at the larger university (main campus)

Advice to Management

Give regular staff a fair wage to start; promote people, both in title and compensation; care about retaining staff; don't always cater to faculty and sideline staff; don't treat people from the outside as far more valuable than current employees

"Cheap company"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

none I can think of

Cons

salary went up 50 cents in 5 years

Advice to Management

Pay the employees what other employees pay for the same job. For a very expensive college they have the worst pay rates to employees. Just check the DC area colleges and they are the most expensive but yet pay less to employess across the board. Do not work there if you like to make money.

"University culture is problematic for staff"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Georgetown University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice location. Pays more than other universities in the area for comparable positions. Tuition benefits. My Kaiser Permanente health insurance was amazing.

Cons

Very little consistency between departments. My supervisor had very little regard for my actual job description, and along with needing to chip in with a number of tasks over my pay grade on short notice, I found myself running personal errands for my supervisor, helping with their Doctoral dissertation research and even had to type up their Dissertation cover page and work on citations. I was an Executive assistant for Student Affairs--- not this person's personal assistant. I felt that I could not refuse to work on these tasks without damaging my annual review and position in the office. The University charged much too much for parking (even though they have a garage) and a year of taking Metro was actually cheaper than paying for a year of parking. Problems within the department (when an employee was stealing, for instance) were not dealt with in a consistent way that clearly involved HR because the department wanted to keep the incident quiet from the students.

Advice to Management

Human Resources should work closer with employees and the different departments.

"Lot of work, little to no direction"

Former Employee - IT Professional in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Washington, DC

I worked at Georgetown University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can list this place on your resume, it opens a few doors.

Cons

Lots of work for a not a lot of return. Little to no actual direction, projects are uncoordinated and poorly planned and executed. Too much red tape and at the end of the day faculty and students pay the price with poor IT support and service while watching the largest department on campus completely overspend the institutions budget.

Advice to Management

Work smarter, not harder you need to put the students and their needs above the needs of the institution, priorities here are way out of whack.

"The organizational mission couldn't compete with turf battles among supposed colleagues"

Former Employee - Web Services Administrator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Web Services Administrator in Washington, DC

I worked at Georgetown University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, work-life balance, opportunities for continuing education. Pretty easygoing environment, depending on where you work.

Cons

An extremely high amount of politics and turf battles. Very little turnover, so people are there for decades with little incentive to increase their knowledge or skills. The quality of work suffers due to very poor accountability. Little or no metrics for how well a job is being performed.

Advice to Management

Subscribe to some continual improvement methodology (ISO, Six Sigma, etc.) and earnestly implement it, as well as 360-degree reviews; managers have less accountability than anyone else despite needing it the most.

"No room for advancement; failure to live up to stated value of organization"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Georgetown University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Working with students often means working with highly intelligent, very idealistic young people who will appreciate it when you trust them with real responsibility
    - Tuition assistance

Cons

Based on my experience as an administrator and middle manager at Georgetown for eight years:

- There is little or no opportunity for advancement within each department or the University as a whole, even for employees who have earned excellent performance reviews, have used their tuition benefits to increase their education, etc.

- There is a consistent preference, across departments, to fill higher-level positions with outside talent, rather than through promoting talented people from within the University. Over time this becomes a major disincentive for employees either (1) to remain at the University long term or (2) to work at their maximum level of ability. It also often results in management that does not understand the special problems inherent in dealing with students, student employees, parents, academic departments, etc. It also results in departments with ZERO institutional memory; so that, for example, policies that failed in the past will be introduced by the leadership, who are unaware that those policies have already been attempted--and then rescinded when they proved overcostly or counterproductive.

- In many departments, the managerial strategy seems to be one of divide-and-rule: A handful of people at the top are paid exceptionally well (to ensure their loyalty) while everyone below is paid wages far below what they would make for the same work, even at other colleges and not-for-profits.

- A pervasive feature of Georgetown's professional culture -- quietly conceded by many staff -- is a cynical disregard for the University's own stated values. I once had an very-very-upper-level administrator inform me that my job was to get as much work out of my student employees as possible for as little money as possible. When I objected that this approach was not consistent with the Catholic values that Georgetown espoused, the response was laughter, and a stern command to "tow the company line." (Until that moment, I thought only villainous cartoon bosses like Mr. Burns gave orders like "tow the company line.")

Advice to Management

- Develop a more consistent system of internal promotion. This would not be some radical novelty that no other university has ever attempted: At NYU, for example, when a new position opens up, their HR requires that they promote a current employee into the position, rather than any outside applicant, unless it is shown that no qualified internal applicant is available. This policy increases employee satisfaction, since ambitious junior-level employees can realistically hope for promotion if they remain with the University long-term.

2. Fess up to your values. if Georgetown is now merely a business, where the bottom line is maximizing revenues rather than supporting certain educational and spiritual principles, please have the courage to admit this. Too many staff, current and former, have sought careers at Georgetown thinking it would allow them to live out their values in their workplace, only to turn away disillusioned by the experience.

"Professor"

Current Employee - Professor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Professor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Georgetown University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Georgetown University is a terrible place to work.

Cons

Unprofessional. Master slave relationship in many employment relationships

Advice to Management

Resign