Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible with your schedule and home life.

Cons

Average government pay but not bad

Oct 30, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience.

2. "Staff Auditor II"

I have been working at Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedules, and a low-key work environment. Low stress, typically, until busy season hits

Cons

Salaries are generally below national average for accountants. Lots of turnover.

3. "Good place to start but don't stay"

Current Employee - Staff Auditor
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor

I have been working at Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance is decent, plenty of leave, starting pay is decent.

Cons

Everyone is overworked, training is terrible and not helpful, pay increases are minimal. Work/life balance is preached but non existent.

Advice to Management

Pay the auditors actually doing the work decently rather than paying admin insane salaries to do nothing.

Oct 30, 2017

We appreciate all feedback and management does follow up to help improve our employee experience.

4. "Decent pay great benefits."

I worked at Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts full-time

Pros

Fantastic Benefits
    Great Work Life Balance
    Minimal Overtime

Cons

Disorganized Management
    Salaries Not to Market

Advice to Management

Set one direction and follow it through.

Oct 30, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review

5. "Senior Auditor II"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor II in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor II in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, telecommute option, work/life balance

Cons

Promotions are sketchy, not based on merit

Mar 6, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

"Solid employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, work life balance, ability to work at home

Cons

Not a consistency among management, lots of changes going on.

Advice to Management

Ask your employees what they think will work, not through a survey and then listen to them.

Feb 7, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You are correct, we have many changes going on. Our hope is to take the feedback from employees and make DOAA a great place to work.

7. "Department of Audits"

Current Employee - Staff Auditor I in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor I in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility with decent pay right out of college. Won't find this pay in accounting with the work-life balance. Firms will work you to death.

Cons

Constant management change. Sometimes have to deal with clients that are not friendly. Pay is less than private sector.

Advice to Management

Make the correct policies to ensure upward mobility and employee retention. Work with other state agencies to hold audited entities more accountable.

Feb 7, 2017

Thank you for your response. You are correct, our pay can be less than the private sector and that is not something we hide. We do offer a terrific work/life balance.

8. "The Reality"

I have been working at Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts full-time

Pros

1.defined benefit pension plans - good if you worked here 20/30 years and moved up
    2. Increase in pay as soon as you pass all 4 parts of the cpa exam even if you are not certified yet.

Cons

1. work/life balance is a myth - you will find yourself working evenings, weekends. At a CPA firm at least the pay will make up for the extra work. If you work more beyond office hours, you will be highly valued but you will also be burdened with more and more responsibilities before time. If you fail at them due to inexperience, you will be taxed for that.
    2. inadequate training but impractical expectations
    3. senior auditors can do whatever they want and be unprofessional towards junior staff
    4. Not enough time to train and grow into the work
    5. unprofessional office environment

Advice to Management

Explain your expectations to new staff, sit down with them and invest in them before evaluating/ judging them.

Feb 7, 2017

We appreciate your comments.

9. "The work/life balance promise is a lie"

Current Employee - Auditor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Auditor in Atlanta, GA

Pros

You do get all state holidays off. Depending on your division, the work is interesting and challenging. You will work with educated degreed accountants, and be granted responsibility along with opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Within DOAA, the Education Audit Division (EAD) is a mess, and getting worse. Pressure on staff, senior staff, and management is extreme. The audit procedures are so inefficient, cumbersome and time consuming that to meet deadlines you must work long hours (yes weekends). If you are thinking a low stress government job, go elsewhere! DOAA has most of the pressures of CPA firms, but without the pay or bonuses.

In addition, the benefits aren't near as good for new hires. The "new" pension plan cuts the benefit down to only 30 perfect of your pay after retirement (used to be over 90 percent). Wage growth has been so non existent for years that now the compensation is FAR below the market rate for Atlanta. This of course leads to high turnover, which in turn leads to no consistency in management, very little guidance or planning.

The overall DOAA ship is sinking, and the EAD ship is already sunk.

Advice to Management

Somehow, someway, upper level management has to address the increasingly large compensation gap. We are losing so many competent and strong people because they can walk out the door and get 20,000.00 more most anyway else. Combine that with aggressive deadlines which seriouly infringe on your home life, and you get a recipe for disaster.

Feb 7, 2017

We appreciate your time taken to write a review. I am sorry you had this experience. Management has made changes based on employee feedback and our current model should address the mentioned... More

10. "Great Environment, Low Pay"

I have been working at Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment with great benefits and intelligent people. Individual experiences may vary depending on your division and the team with which you work. Very little experience is required and it is a great job for a person looking to gain some experience and move on to a higher salary and/or a position with more growth opportunity. Job security is great. Work/life balance is amazing as overtime is rarely required and if it is, comp time is allowed. Sick time, vacation time, and education leave time start accruing from day one.

Cons

State appropriated budget, which means that raises can be meager, few, and far between. Growth potential slows as you move up the "corporate" ladder. There seems to be an inconsistency in raises and promotions. Too many advancement decisions are left up to audit supervisors, some of whom have little management expertise or ability. Favoritism with some managers can be a problem during performance evaluations. New hire onboarding consists of a few days of department orientation and then being thrown on the floor with the hopes that whatever team the new hire lands with will be hospitable and understanding.

Advice to Management

Streamline the promotions process and create a roadmap for employees to understand what must be achieved in order to advance. Take the promotion decisions out of the hands of audit supervisors and place them with HR as they provide a more objective point of view. Create an appeals process for individuals who feel they should have been promoted, but were not considered a "favorite" with their manager. Propose an increase to appropriated funds to attract and keep talented individuals. Provide better new hire training instead of sticking someone with no experience on an audit and having them read documentation for weeks.