Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 17, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) Commissioner Judy Fitzgerald
Judy Fitzgerald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, friendly work environment (in 3 reviews)

• This was the first place I worked following graduation and it was a great place to build skills (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Policies, paperwork, confusing hierarchy, high turnover, politics (in 2 reviews)

• Low pay, it's hard to really make any money here unless you're a client support worker, which is full-time (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules (telework). Investment in employees. Great employee incentives. Opportunities for growth and promotion.

Cons

Low salaries as compared to other state agencies.

Advice to Management

None

2. "GRHA"

Learning community resources
    Learn from being part of treatment team

Cons

Policies, paperwork, confusing hierarchy, high turnover, politics

Advice to Management

Talk to front line staff about policies before implementing. They may have better ideas for how to accomplish the goal. So much paperwork that does not contribute to the goal. You lose sight of the mission.

3. "I am seeking work in this field to be of help to the community!"

Former Employee - Program Technician in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Program Technician in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy helping and teaching these people. I’ve moved from California and would like to stay in this type of work!

Cons

Their aggressive behaviors can be challenging at times. The bigger picture is to give them a chance at life. They are people like you and I who deserve to learn the way of the world.

4. "Limited growth and promotion opportunities"

I have been working at Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State holidays off; great health and leave benefits; education leave; flexible work schedule;

Cons

Only promote people they know and like. They appear to cherry pick on who gets the job promotion. Lots of special treatment observed to their special staff. They hire a lot of outsiders inside of promoting from within.

Advice to Management

This is not a reflection on all managers, but my manager has limited communication with staff. He gives special treatment to certain staff he supervise. He gives her challenging job tasks to enhance the individual’s skills. He seriously neglect the other staff unless he needs a special favor from them.

5. "Activity Therapist"

Current Employee - Activity Therapist in Gracewood, GA
    Current Employee - Activity Therapist in Gracewood, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This facility is not too strict.

Cons

This facility needs more structure and organization.

6. "Real Risk of Safety"

Former Employee - Behvioral Health Counselor in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Behvioral Health Counselor in Augusta, GA

Pros

- good level of professional medical and psychiatric care

Cons

-risk of safety and wellbeing

7. "Finance Dept"

Pros

Good sick days and benefits

Cons

Finance dept Lacks supervisor support

8. "Good job"

Pros

Learned a lot and benefits

Cons

Takes a while to advance

Advice to Management

N/A

"Outsider"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of jobs available on all inpatient areas. Organization has excellent training operation for new employees and on-going training for those that are there one year or more.

Cons

Turnover in Adult Mental Health. Staff feels helpless in making decisions so disciplinary actions are not taken or limited

10. "A great place to build skills"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

Pros

This was the first place I worked following graduation and it was a great place to build skills. There was plenty of training and CEUs available. The pay is reasonable. Neither the highest or lowest available. The benefits are great. Leave time stacks up quickly. Health insurance plans are great. It is a state mental hospital with acute stabilization so in the presence of patients you have to keep your eyes open, but I wouldn't describe it as dangerous. There is room for advancement.

Cons

It can be chaotic and hectic. The buildings are somewhat out of date. Georgia has been gradually defunding state mental healthcare so some of the facilities are closed.