Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) Commissioner Judy Fitzgerald
Judy Fitzgerald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "This was the first place I worked following graduation and it was a great place to build skills" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Policies, paperwork, confusing hierarchy, high turnover, politics" (in 2 reviews)

• "Must be in good shape to run for your life and wrestle with mental health patients" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules (telework). Investment in employees. Great employee incentives. Opportunities for growth and promotion.

Cons

Low salaries as compared to other state agencies.

Advice to Management

None

2. "CSW"

Pros

Great place to work and gain experience

Cons

Very very low pay for a state job

3. "Lead Health Tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a job and the interaction with the patients is great

Cons

The facility it’s self is horrible and doesn’t care about their direct care staff staff has no right and are guilt of any allegation before proven innocent.....way underpaid for the work they do

Advice to Management

Do better listen to your direct care staff it’s not always there fault

4. "GRHA"

Learning community resources
    Learn from being part of treatment team

Cons

Policies, paperwork, confusing hierarchy, high turnover, politics

Advice to Management

Talk to front line staff about policies before implementing. They may have better ideas for how to accomplish the goal. So much paperwork that does not contribute to the goal. You lose sight of the mission.

5. "Corrupt and inept from HR to laundry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gracewood, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gracewood, GA

Pros

None at all. The most ridiculous group of unqualified people running this place into the ground.

Cons

There is 0 leadership and accountability. This place is where talent goes to die. The mentality is "its always done that way" or "mr ___ told me to do it that way" even though said person hasn't worked there in years. Insanely week leadership who doesn't not deal with bully employees or ANY situation for that matter.

Advice to Management

Clean house. All Managment needs to go

6. "I am seeking work in this field to be of help to the community!"

Former Employee - Program Technician in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Program Technician in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy helping and teaching these people. I’ve moved from California and would like to stay in this type of work!

Cons

Their aggressive behaviors can be challenging at times. The bigger picture is to give them a chance at life. They are people like you and I who deserve to learn the way of the world.

7. "Limited growth and promotion opportunities"

I have been working at Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State holidays off; great health and leave benefits; education leave; flexible work schedule;

Cons

Only promote people they know and like. They appear to cherry pick on who gets the job promotion. Lots of special treatment observed to their special staff. They hire a lot of outsiders inside of promoting from within.

Advice to Management

This is not a reflection on all managers, but my manager has limited communication with staff. He gives special treatment to certain staff he supervise. He gives her challenging job tasks to enhance the individual’s skills. He seriously neglect the other staff unless he needs a special favor from them.

8. "Activity Therapist"

Current Employee - Activity Therapist in Gracewood, GA
    Current Employee - Activity Therapist in Gracewood, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This facility is not too strict.

Cons

This facility needs more structure and organization.

9. "Real Risk of Safety"

Former Employee - Behvioral Health Counselor in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Behvioral Health Counselor in Augusta, GA

Pros

- good level of professional medical and psychiatric care

Cons

-risk of safety and wellbeing

10. "Finance Dept"

Pros

Good sick days and benefits

Cons

Finance dept Lacks supervisor support