Georgia Department of Natural Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Georgia Department of Natural Resources Reviews

Updated October 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Georgia Department of Natural Resources Commissioner of Natural Resources Mark Williams
Mark Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Enjoyed Making a 30 Year Career to Protect the Natural Resources of Georgia"

Former Employee - Environmental Compliance Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Environmental Compliance Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Natural Resources full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits provided and the pay was decent. Very flexible in taking time off and accumulating leave which I used to fulfill service requirements for 30 year retirement.

Cons

Pay increases are subject to the General Assembly and are not frequent. Comparable jobs in the Federal government and private industry pay about 30-50% more.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and you will maintain institutional knowledge that is passed from long term employees to new employees concerning aspects of the job. Be competitive as much as possible with salary increases.

2. "It's a job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Natural Resources part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have a job and that is pretty much it.

Cons

Your mostly just a slab of meat as a part timer. You have no benefits, no say in anything, and you get treated like your a second class citizen. Lots of part time positions, but very few full time slots. Also management is extremely disconnected from their employees, they wouldn't last a day in our shoes of hard labor for very little money, very little time to do your job, and no benefits at all.

Advice to Management

Instead of part time people that come and go like the wind where you need to spend time and money to constantly retrain people, wouldn't it be better to have all full time people that stay and can do the job of several part timers?

3. "Dnr Atlanta"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Natural Resources full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can have positive impact on environment.

Cons

Low pay very little recognition

Advice to Management

X

4. "Great Organization"

Current Employee - Biologist in Social Circle, GA
    Current Employee - Biologist in Social Circle, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Natural Resources full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

believe in the mission, great co-workers and headquarters staff, opportunities for professional development, great benefits and leave

Cons

salaries are competitive with other state fish and wildlife agencies, but much lower than federal jobs. There is an unlimited amount of work to do and you always pay the price when you come back from vacation.

Advice to Management

Protect us from politics and stupid paperwork please!

5. "Part-Time 29"

I have been working at Georgia Department of Natural Resources full-time

Pros

Working in the park, has it's benefits

Cons

Only 5 Full-Time positions available.
    Only full-time employees receives benefits, all other employees are part-time 29,(only allowed to work 29 hours) or seasonal.

Advice to Management

None to give at this time

6. "Environmental compliance specialist"

Current Employee - Environmental Compliance Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Environmental Compliance Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Natural Resources full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

excellent job to be working at

Cons

no cons about this job

Advice to Management

great management and leadership around every corner

7. "I haven't had but one raise since I have been working for the state. I have been with them over 7 years. Do you see one"

Current Employee - Custodial Service Worker in Lavonia, GA
    Current Employee - Custodial Service Worker in Lavonia, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Natural Resources (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love working around and meeting different people.

Cons

Some days are very hard. Short staff. Not enough employees.

Advice to Management

To start hiring before the busy season. Give your staff raise after they been there 3 years or more.

8. "Ranger- State Parks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

This position offers a wide variety of opportunities to interact with the public in educational and recreational capacities. Being outdoors most of the time is a plus and each property offers something entirely different.

Cons

Hours can be long, very few weekends and holidays off, l and the pay is not commensurate with the demands of the job. The benefits packages have also been drastically cut in recent years. Salaries are well below industry standards. Little upward mobility unless you are well connected ( politically or as a friend of someone in upper management).

Advice to Management

The best advice I could give would be to steer away from a "good old boy network" mentality and do more to recognize employees who have come in from the "outside".

9. "Stable, but loads of down time"

I have been working at Georgia Department of Natural Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security
    Insurance
    Busy the first few weeks of the month
    Work is not hard
    People I work with are friendly
    Vacation and sick time; I assume we get so much because the state can't afford to pay more and this is their way of keeping people

Cons

Too much down time, I love to be busy and sometimes this job is, but at least 2 weeks out of the month we compete for work.
    When it is busy, some people disappear and there is no consequence for this. Some workers are allowed to feel entitled.
    No growth and no raise in anyone's future unless a supervisor or manager quits, which doesn't happen often.

Advice to Management

Give consequences for the slackers and promotions/raises for those who excel in order to not keep losing the hard workers. There are departments that have revolving doors because the pay only keeps those who know they would get fired elsewhere or those looking for a few years of experience before moving on.

10. "No Future"

I have been working at Georgia Department of Natural Resources full-time

Pros

Good vacation time and sick leave

Cons

Very Low wages, below market standards, Increase in salary is a very rare thing if at all.

Advice to Management

Pay a livable wage, then you might actually only need one qualified person to do the job and not three under qualified people.