Georgia Department of Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Keith Golden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Management understands the work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Steady & stable employment, decent benefits, flexible work schedules, scheduled time off is not a problem, convenient locations (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, High Turnover, No Raises, Low Morale (in 6 reviews)

• very low salary compared to private (in 3 reviews)

1. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with different departments and learn different jobs and meet new people.

Cons

No room for advancement within departments

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Civil Engineering Intern (Summer of 2005)"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The department did an excellent job in finding meaningful work for me to do during my summer internship.

Cons

It can be difficult to find great short term work for a summer intern. My experience was limited, but while I was there, it was a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue giving college students the opportunity to work for the Department and provide them with representative work of the permanent employees.

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Company employees are very polite and happy. The environment is enjoyable. It is a good place especially for people in the Engineering field. The most enjoyable part are the people.

Cons

None that I can think of, I love working here.

4. "Its a good job. Just certain things to beware of."

Current Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most people are very good to work for and they care about your success. You just have to know who and where they are. Its a big company and my advice to anyone is to never settle for 1 thing. Explore!

Cons

Like I said you have to know and go where the good people are. Some offices are micromanaged and often creates a sour work environment. Makes you feel as if you're walking on eggshells because they always look to find something wrong even when you're working your butt off! They're not hard to pick out depending on where you work.

Advice to Management

Show that you appreciate and care about ALL of your employees before you run good people away. Stop chewing people out and try to uplift your workers to maintain high morale and productivity. The "Old DOT" attitude is played out.

5. "Like the experience!"

Former Employee - Intern in Cartersville, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Cartersville, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Transportation (Less than a year)

Pros

convivial atmosphere, workplace very motivating

Cons

I did't find any cons.

"Don't work here unless you believe in donkey labor."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Transportation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CDL training if interested and operate heavy equipment whenever possible to gain skills.

Cons

Lack of opportunity gain, low pay wage, very dangerous work without hazard pay, losing people, contracting a lot of work, no pay raises, no one representing us.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap to us by not giving us a decent pay! This applies to those that got they cdl, good job performance reviews, but no rewards for working safe in Atlanta busy traffic. People should still receive fair pay. The starting pay is $9.00 an hour with no overtime. Downtown Atlanta get all the pay raises but never work in the rain, sleet, snow, and heat. They never talk with "the co-workers" and never offer help but they still want you to remove the dead animals and cut trees out the roadway after they passed it. If you believe in Donkey labor, this job is for you. Don't get sucked into these fake reviews, hear it from the real DOT employees who just trying to make a honest living. The DOT received over millions of dollars but we only got 3% after no raise for the past 8 years. Don't apply here I'm invested now and leaving first ship sailing because management hate us. I met people that can't afford gas just to come to work. Sad to say but it's hard out here and the pay with the labor just won't cut it. Don't apply here for work unless you're desperate but you will struggle here. These positions just don't pay enough for anyone that's doing the real work in these streets.

"Room for improvement"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Transportation (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, steady paycheck, great vacation time,great location.

Cons

Management just wants to be management so they can push all the work onto the subordinates. No upper management support as far as the workload goes. Lot's of lazy people who have been there for years waiting for retirement. No interoffice support - you will be waiting days/months/years to get needed information/support from other offices that you need deliveries from.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, be realistic in meeting goals, less meetings, more trust in subordinates in doing their work.

"Civil Engineer II"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer II in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer II in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Department of Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people around whether GDOT staff or consultant
    Very secure work environment
    Experience a wide variety of work types

Cons

Not much in the way of career progression
    No real benefits offered
    Majority of work vehicle fleet is at least a decade old

Advice to Management

Find a few ways to influence new employees to stay around. There isn't much that is attractive aside from just having a paycheck.

"Dist. Program Associate"

Current Employee - Program Associate in Austell, GA
    Current Employee - Program Associate in Austell, GA

Pros

Job stability, great benefits, some room for promotion if you qualify.

Cons

Pigeon Hole effect after 2 years.

10. "Company Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Transportation (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly management, monthly training classes to better you in your position. Room for advancement.

Cons

No pay increase or Cost Of Living Raises.