Georgia Division of Family and Children Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You were provided the opportunity to meet new people continuously, with the hopes of making a difference in someone's lives (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits and vacation time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Unforgiving schedules, low pay, poor management (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours, responsible for the lives of children, poor compensation (in 7 reviews)

1. "Awesome"

I worked at Georgia Division of Family and Children Services full-time

Pros

Great experience. The training will prepare you for the field work.

Cons

Long hours and heavy caseloads

2. "Case Manager"

I worked at Georgia Division of Family and Children Services full-time

Pros

Flexible hours in office at times.

Cons

Children sometimes placed 2 hours from office

3. "Working here is great!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Georgia Division of Family and Children Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my short time here, I have been exposed to many opportunities to train and better myself as a worker.

Cons

The application process is really long. I was fortunate to have a flexible position before starting.

4. "Admin Support"

Pros

Monday - Friday. Closed on weekend

Cons

low pay and costly Insurance

5. "You have to really love the job because..."

Current Employee - Social Services Case Manager in Hawkinsville, GA
    Current Employee - Social Services Case Manager in Hawkinsville, GA

I have been working at Georgia Division of Family and Children Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people in my office work together great for the most part. Always meeting new people. Helping families.

Cons

We got a raise but are required to use our own funds to supplement the new things they want done with clients. The raise really wasn't, because new hires make the same as people who already have time invested. You have to use your own car at times and aren't always paid back for had. I was supposed to get paid for being a translator, never happened. Some look down on clients and staff that are not a part of the majority. There is a lot required, but pay doesn't quite match the stress level.

Advice to Management

Make sure that cultural diversity is actually understood by everyone including directors.

6. "Gateway is a NO GO!!!"

Pros

sick and personal time off

Cons

workloads are insane
    management is demanding for results that they know are impossible especially working in a system (gateway) that does not work properly

Advice to Management

Stop having unrealistic expectations from employees in a system that does not work!!
    Stop micromanaging employees

7. "Social Services Case Manager"

I worked at Georgia Division of Family and Children Services full-time

Pros

The job was very flexible. You were provided the opportunity to meet new people continuously, with the hopes of making a difference in someone's lives.

Cons

The caseloads were unmanageable. The support was non-existent.

8. "Case Mananger"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Decatur, GA

Pros

Hours of work varied. You learn to advocate on the behalf of children in need. There was very little micro- management. The best part of the job, was giving children in need, security and stability.

Cons

No life outside of work. Poor managerial skills.

9. "Social Services Case Manager"

Pros

Knowing that you have made a difference to children and a big impact in their lives. Benefits. Discounts. Reimbursement for mileage. Paid travel of hotels and rental cars.

Cons

Long work hours, high caseload, lack of support from supervision, some administration are rude. Disrespect from parents and sometimes children. Being on call. Not enough pay for the work that is required,

Advice to Management

Need more professional development.

"Horrible place to work, employees and clients are mistreated daily"

Current Employee - ESS1 in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - ESS1 in Columbus, GA

Pros

Good benefits, day hours, holidays off

Cons

Poor management, unorganized Human Resources, new computer system that is not working well for clients or case managers, upper management only cares about numbers and reporting, they do not have any concerns for their front-line staff's wellbeing. Pay is dismal compared to the responsibilities and goals you are expected to achieve, this organization sets up workers to fail.

Advice to Management

Please be more open to suggestions and changes that could be beneficial to the agency, offer raises based upon experience and incentives that make employees feel appreciated. There is such a high turnover rate in Muscogee county dfcs because it is unprofessionally run, leadership for the most part is inexperienced and clueless about how to do their jobs and micromanage staff members and make them feel inferior. Please stop violations of Hippa by seeing clients for interviews for benefits in cubicles where everyone can overhear personal information. Caseworkers need privacy to do their jobs and the office could benefit from receptionists to better delegate and schedule the work.