Georgia Environmental Protection Division Reviews | Glassdoor

Carol Couch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Georgia EPD"

I worked at Georgia Environmental Protection Division full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, 40 hour week, Vacation/holidays

Cons

Limited room for advancement and income increase

2. "Compliance Officer"

I have been working at Georgia Environmental Protection Division full-time

Pros

Chance to gain knowledge from a wide variety of projects.

Cons

Director's office is not supportive of the mission of protecting the environment. Upper management general lacks background in the sciences, and therefore, cannot make sound environmental decisions. Pay structure does not allow for career employees and causes high employee turn over.

3. "Environmental Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Environmental Protection Division full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible in work hours etc.

Cons

No room for individuality; only yes people need apply.

4. "Depends on Management"

Pros

Good people working hard for the environment. Benefits are standard. Flexible schedule. A good manager makes all the difference. Enjoyable workplace.

Cons

Difficulty in compliance and enforcing. Politics are at play. Benefits could be much better. High turnover. Not much room for advancement other than a management position. Unrealistic expectations at times.

Advice to Management

Push for better employee benefits. Push for better employee pay. Expect average work for average pay. Keep a realistic perspective regarding employee workload.. especially given such a high turnover

5. "State Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Environmental Protection Division (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great hours, most positions let you flex hours to meet your schedule. most people work 4-10hr shifts and are off mondays or fridays. Most Managers are good people and care, and they want their employees to be paid more, but that decision comes from the Governors office.

Cons

Low Salaries. Not a lot of opportunities to move up. Low salaries and low ceiling has put employees with depressed moral.

Advice to Management

Pay higher salaries. You get what you pay for.

6. "Employee"

I have been working at Georgia Environmental Protection Division full-time

Pros

flex time, flex work hours, telework, low stress, great experience, great for networking, and great people.

Cons

no raises, no cost of living raise, no growth opportunities, health benefits are expensive

7. "State Employee"

I have been working at Georgia Environmental Protection Division full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible time, flexible work hours, telework, low stress, great people, great earning experience, great for networking.

Cons

No raises, minimal growth opportunities, health benefits are expensive, incentive based raises are allocated with little or no transparency, low morale, training opportunities out of the state are discouraged, upper management out of touch with employees.

Advice to Management

Give cost of living raises, give across the board raises, increase transparency of incentive based raises, value your employees, have funds to pay for team building luncheons/retreats/events, recognize hard working employees.

8. "Don't work at the lab"

Former Employee - Scientist in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Norcross, GA

Pros

for some positions very light work load. 3 weeks of anual leave and 3 wwe

Cons

Low salary. Some positions have very heavy work load.
    Horrible micro management + favoritism +racism
    Most of the managers play double standard.
    Management will try hard to block you from transferring to another position within EPD.

Advice to Management

Please at least respect your employees. People are starting to think about a class action suit for the racist and bullying behavior.

9. "Environmental Specialist III"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Environmental Protection Division full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best pro for me is the flexibility of my schedule. It has never been a probably getting time off, teleworking, and compressed week. So far, I have not been micromanaged.

Cons

Quickly hit a glass ceiling and no raises in years, not even cost of living. No where to move up or over and positions that do become available are using offered to friends of higher up. We are paid far below the market standard. Pension is mostly nonexistent and you're left wit 401k. However, you don't make enough to contribute significantly toward retirement.

Advice to Management

Realize the best people are leaving and change things to keep them. Pass out some raises!

10. "Don't make the same mistake I made"

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Environmental Protection Division full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros left, all the pros and benefits that we had 15 years ago are gone now that it's year 2015. If I had to do it again, I'd work for a county government because the people who have quit the EPD and gone to a county government are doing really well and are happy.

Cons

No flex time (we used to have flex time, but, that's been taken away). No teleworking (We used to have that also but a few individuals abused that so our manager took that away from everyone instead of dealing individually with individuals who where cheating the system). No pension (new employees hired after Jan 1, 2009 get a 401(k), but the pension only pays 29% of your highest 2 years salary after working full time for 30 years. That's a LONG time at one place). No long lunch to go to the gym (Management now watches the clock and 60 minutes is 60 minutes). No appreciation during State Employees Appreciation Week in 2015 (We used to go to a state park for a picnic, but, management didn't want to do that this year nor do anything else to show appreciation). No step increases (During my first 3 years, I got a bump up from Engineer 1 to 2 to 3. But, new employees don't get bumps anymore, what you're hired at is where you'll stay for the duration of your career). No cost of living raises 7 years (Unless you're in the Director's office). No training (there used to be wonderful opportunities for training and facility tours and I used to get 10+ certificates a year, but, now I'm lucky to get to go to training just twice a year). No recognition (when our current Director started, he would send out beautiful recognition emails every month, even naming employees who did a good job, but, he hasn't sent out a recognition email in over a year). No leadership (unless you call bullying, lying, and spying qualities of a good leader).

Advice to Management

I've been providing advice to management for years hoping to make this place a great place to work, but, to no avail. When our new director started, he had a few town halls. But that stopped when he got overwhelmed with middle management problems to fix. My only advice to most (but not all) management is to please retire and go away.