Georgia-Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

Georgia-Pacific President & CEO Christian Fischer
Christian Fischer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some roles do not offer as much flexibility in work/life balance due to the requirements of the position (in 23 reviews)

• Company uses MBM (market-based management) to their advantage and to employee's disadvantage (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company and well run"

Current Employee - Engineer in Halsey, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Halsey, OR

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable product, well funded operations, strong safety culture.
    Company is owned by Koch and has a very consistent company culture which is defined by their guiding principles. It is very clear that unlike many companies mission statements which get reviewed periodically as an exercise that employees from top to bottom are expected to create value, and deal with respect and humility towards others.
    Charles Koch is an excellent guide for the company, being privately held allows the company to focus on long term value instead of the next quarterly earnings report.

Cons

It is a manufacturing environment with round the clock operation and can sometimes require long hours and/or weekend work. Generally able to compensate for this by schedule flexibility at other times.

"Sr. Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Georgia-Pacific is one of the best companies with which I have ever had the opportunity to work. I am a firm believer that having an MBM environment and promoting the philosophy, guidelines, and framework throughout the organization, will produce an even more competitive team in the future.

Cons

There is no perfect company, Georgia-Pacific included. However, one of the biggest differences in GP and other companies for which I have worked, is GP takes ownership in failures / short comings, and encourages employees to do so as well. Recognizing our weaknesses and taking action to eliminate those weaknesses takes time, effort, and engagement -

Advice to Management

Continue with efforts to grow internal talent, as well as acquire new talent that will help us to move more efficiently in a positive direction. Encourage teams to remember that virtue comes before talent...and that skills can be strengthened.

3. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Muskogee, OK
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Muskogee, OK

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long tong values and the key drivers. Most of the time care deeply about their people.

Cons

Takes time to pull off projects and work. There is a disconnect between hourly and salary

Advice to Management

n.a

4. "World Class Culture, World Class Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's easy to work at Georgia-Pacific. Doing the right thing is not just encouraged, but expected. The values and beliefs I have in my personal life are a great match for the company.

Cons

While I think it is a "pro", some people may not be comfortable in a performance based pay system. I think it's an excellent system for highly motivated individuals!

5. "Great people, good team, fast paced industry focused work."

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teams are open to change and challenge process. Management is involved and attentive to feedback. It is a great place to learn by asking questions.

Cons

Limits on compensation mechanism as they are tied to your role. Some teams can run slim thus increasing workload for a period of time

6. "Fiber Handler"

Current Employee - Fiber Handler in Rincon, GA
    Current Employee - Fiber Handler in Rincon, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work, with benefits 12hr shift.

Cons

Work on all holidays 😢 its a swing shift job. One week you'll work days the next will be nights.

7. "I worked there for 3 years. Poor management. Turnover rate high. Due to FMLA they were looking to fire me."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, TN

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance wasn't horrible. Pay was ok. That's about all I can say for a pro. They need alot of changes in the plant.

Cons

Management only looked out for themselves. No regard to any family life. They belittle employees and due to fmla was told that they were looking for 1 reason to terminate me. Vacation wasn't great. There are no sick days or personal days. Until you are there 1 year you have no vacation time. After 3 years you get 10 days. Weekends required.

Advice to Management

Management should be more considerate of employees rights. They shouldn't tell why other people where terminated to others. Especially when it can become a legal matter. Management should realize that without employees their job is invalid.

"Employee in Consumer Group"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

General Management focused. People embrace MBM.
    Heavily focused on manufacturing. The manufacturing plants collaborate with home office.
    Both Pro and Consumer side, plus branded and private label products.
    Work-life balance.
    President and CMO are inspirational and good people. CEO is good too.

Cons

Four years ago I would have highly recommended GP as a company. Not anymore. No longer a good company to work at.

Managers not supportive: I spoke to a coworker who was awesome at her job, and later found out her manager told her she “sucked” at her job and that there was no place for her at the company. Her manager was later promoted. Fortunately, she was able to find another job in a different group.
    At GP, people back-stab others – but you don’t know until you become close friends with people and find the back-story.
    Employees are fired for no reason: I’ve seen coworkers “disappear” suddenly from the company. And these were honest, hard-working employees who added value to the company. When I spoke to them later, I learned that there was no personal improvement plan, severance, or notice - simply told day-of that they were fired.
    Poor option for MBA grads: I’ve seen young, bright individuals be “forced” to leave the company (laid off). Others have left when manager wasn't open to career development plans. Those that stay put need to put in 5-6 years before advancing to the next level, with no pay increases or bonuses.
    Slow to advance. Those at the top don't leave.
    Some employees that have been at the company for 10+ years are promoted, despite lacking leadership or management skills due to legacy ties to the company.

9. "Wonderful company"

Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Camden, TX
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Camden, TX

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allows for employees to move up in the company before outside candidates are looked at.

Cons

Long hours, often working shift work but it does pay off.

10. "Georgia Pacific"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Homebased Position. Autonomy, Market Based Management principles allow employees to assume ownership of projects and also be creative and innovative. Great Pay

Cons

Extensive Travel, Old GP Philosophies are hard to shake and thus creating some roadblocks to injection of youthful and fresh idealogies

Advice to Management

Allow the infusion of new ideas and thus influencing creativity and entrepreneurship.

Showing 537 of 1,026 reviews