Georgia-Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Georgia-Pacific President & CEO Jim Hannan
Jim Hannan

Pros
  • Market-Based Management and the company's commitment to excellence provides a maximum growth and development opportunity (in 29 reviews)

• Great work life balance but boring (in 23 reviews)

1. "Maintenance Supervisior"

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The hourly people are real good people to work with.

Cons

To big of work load.

Advice to Management

Listen

2. "GPXpress"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

Pros

Good company benefits, some travel involved.

Cons

Where do I begin? This department is completely micromanaged. But management has their few employees that they are more friends with than bosses to, so those individuals are favored in every way and can do whatever they want. The remaining employees don't get anything. No raises are ever given. Reviews are given to you almost a year later. There is no opportunity for growth unless you are willing to move to Atlanta and most positions management does not even give you their blessing on or try to help you succeeed and grow. Did I say micromanaged? This department is a complete CALL CENTER.. where you have to AUX your phone just to use the bathroom (and code that you're in the bathroom). Then if you take too long they question you on it. Management is unprofessional and talks about other employees behind their backs- discusses personal employee matters with other employees. Some of the "favored" employees can literally get away with anything. NO MBM Principles are carried out or followed.

Advice to Management

HR has received so many negative exit interviews but yet this department continues to be run by the same management team and nothing has changed. Turnover rate has been incredibly high the last 5+ years and that has never been looked at. Red flags everywhere yet nobody seems to care about how the department continues to have unhappy employees. Employees are afraid to speak up until they are at their exit interviews. HR-please start taking initiative on this issue.

"Don't join procurement group"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pros while I was there. Terrible wages and bonus structure. Vacation is below what other companies provide. Medical insurance is sub par.

Cons

You work under mental duress. Promised bonus' all the time. They never happen. MBM is not followed. Managers use it incorrectly.

Horrible company. Procurement group was the worst. If you were a sycophant for the vp you were golden. He put people into jobs who were unqualified. Place is not healthy for any minority, including gays. If you're white male you're good.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror and reflect on what's wrong with your organization and fix it.

"Tragic Company - Beware!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great innovator and very forward thinking in regards to product generation.
    - Georgia Pacific has a great name that is well known worldwide.
    - Koch Industries is a powerful backer.

Cons

- Top Leadership (Group President/VP) preaches MBM and it's guiding principles but they don't practice those same principles.
    - Everyone is stepping on each other because they don't want to be the next 'position elimination'
    - They say your earnings/total comp is based on marginal contribution but it always ends up being subjective.
    - No cost of living adjustments. As stated before you are based on your total and marginal contribution and COLA's aren't warranted.
    - If you don't have the same pedigree (GP/Koch person) you don't have a future at GP. They will extract the information they need from you and then eliminate your position. When my position was eliminated, I wasn't allowed to apply for any other position at GP either...I had over 20 years worth of experience but once you are gone you are gone.

Advice to Management

Funny thing is I think that my division is the only one that operates this way and with this lack of a moral compass. The group President and VP always spoke about MBM but I don't think they ever recognized what MBM truly is. They need to recognize that your employees are your best asset and that you need to retain those that create value but also promote long term actions.

NOTE TO KOCH: Stop spending money on the 'We are Koch' advertisements until your senior leadership understands how to value employees. You use this ad pitch to recruit but I assure you that the people you got leading don't value the 'We are Koch' philosophy the way it is meant to be portrayed.

Did I say that GP is a terrible company....I miss the people I worked with but I don't miss the Senior Leadership!

"Worst Company Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't any Pros to this company. They treat their employees terribly. I would not recommend my worst enemy to work here.

Cons

Culture, horrible management, pay far below market, no raises, no bonuses, back stabbing employees and managers. It is an extremely toxic environment.

Advice to Management

I would say listen, but they won't.

"Operator Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time

Pros

The benefits and pay are good. You can get all the overtime you want by coming in for someone when your machine or shift don't work.

Cons

Management is horrible. They have an extreme lack of communication. They overwork you and they show favoritism.

Advice to Management

Communicate more and encourage employees more.

8. "General Labor"

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time

Pros

Plenty of overtime. Pay is decent for the area.

Cons

No days off. No incentive to work above and beyond.

9. "Plant Engeer"

Former Employee - Electrician in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Electrician in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros they are out of the

Cons

All con management followed me around

Advice to Management

Don't micromanagement it noto good

"looks good on your resume"

Pros

paycheck does not bounce, basic medical insurance

Cons

Current management - very cost cutting atmosphere. If you are a woman or a minority you can expect there to be issues. Benefits increase in price every year with higher deductibles and worse coverage. HR always blames it on "Obama Care". Koch brothers will send you political mailings to your home telling you how to vote. No raises and very poor bonus structure. High turnover

Advice to Management

Get rid of current Mill manager

11. "No goals and no support for the hourly employees"

Former Employee - B Operator in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - B Operator in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific (More than a year)

Pros

The Pay
    The Schedule
    The People in the trenches are great!!

Cons

Salary personnel has no time to hear about the real issues.
    Don't have an issue on the weekend, salary is OFF!!!
    Only want "YES" men to be Performance Coaches
    Pay scale does not keep up with other plants around the area
    Equipment is old and outdated
    Run til failure with zero preventative maintenance and then when it breaks, operator is blamed
    Fired a high number of seasoned workers to save money now there are inexperience salary personnel throughout from HR to Management who have no clue as to how to due their job.

Advice to Management

You have to spend money to make money. If you do not make your hourly workers happy, remember the ones that make the product that pay your salary, you do not have a salary.