Georgia-Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

Georgia-Pacific Reviews

Updated October 17, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Market-Based Management and the company's commitment to excellence provides a maximum growth and development opportunity (in 31 reviews)

• good work life balance at headquarters (in 27 reviews)

Cons

1. "Long-term value creation"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GP truly values long-term value creation and pursuing good profit that benefits the employees, our customers and society. This creates a sustainability that is driven completely by its employees ability to be a principled entrepreneur. I believe this is valuable in a stock market driven economy; employers who value long-term profits over short term gains are ones that you want to stick around to work for. GP believes that employees should be in positions that fit to your comparative advantage and not just a box that envelopes a title which means the opportunities to create long-term value are endless.

Cons

Much like most manufacturing organizations, GP is slow to the curve of embracing new technologies, new organization structures and up-coming salary changes. I find that they are often lagging in those areas instead of leading.

Advice to Management

All levels of management can spend more time studying outside the organization and what the trends of manufacturing are instead of scrutinizing or dissecting those who try to do so.

2. "A bit behind the times...but trying to be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture overall seems positive, good people with good values and a desire to succeed. There is a strong focus on compliance and integrity in all professional areas and that is a welcome change versus some other companies I've dealt with in matters of regulatory compliance. I've seen some positive changes over my tenure related to offering some of the perks seen with other more progressive companies (work from home, casual days, product discounts, team building activities, etc.)

Cons

"Very large organization" syndrome. It's often hard to get anything done, get anything approved, or know who to talk to about an issue as there are so many people, roles are constantly changing and no good way to navigate your way through it all.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to set GP apart from its competitors and advertise those strengths more aggressively to attract the right talent.

3. "Product Stewardship"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging, collaborative work environment, flexible work hours, Financially sound company, Well respected in the community

Cons

Not progressive; white male dominated company; minority growth potential is limited

Advice to Management

Provide growth opportunities and flexibility to all employees.

4. "Great company to work for with a lot of opportunities to grow your career."

Current Employee - Production Assistant in Howard, WI
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in Howard, WI

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to move and grow your career. A lot of great benefits and the philosophy of how a business should be ran is perfect.

Cons

In my current role I feel is a dead end unless I want to go to shift. I feel I am not using my full potential in my current role

5. "Profit sharing job, not rewarded for sales success."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good products large distribution base. Respect in the industry. Solid company financially. Privately owned can be pro and con.

Cons

Not paid for sales success. When bonus is paid out company line is "we just didn't have a good year in this area"

Advice to Management

Pay your good people for sales

6. "Process Technician III"

Former Employee - Process Technician in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great safety policies and procedures.

Cons

Twelve hour shifts are hard on employees.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Analyst in Cumberland City, TN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cumberland City, TN

I worked at Georgia-Pacific (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at a Plant, so my experience is unique due to the Plant-level being somewhat isolated from Corporate policies and practices. In general, I enjoyed the people and the freedom from sometimes domineering Corporate upper-management. MBM, although sparsely practiced at the Plant-level at GP (will talk about in the Cons section), is a fairly effective way of dealing with HOURLY employees and making them feel more valued.

Cons

Because GP has so many Plants operating under so many different kinds of people and departments, even in 2016, communication was horrendous. I had the displeasure of working under a manager who lacked any basic communication skills and relatability, but because they performed well, was lauded and considered a major asset. I was never asked to give feedback on their performance. I was never trained. Over year long period, my manager probably spent two hours explaining processes and the business to me. Instead, I was forced to write up more things I could be doing better and given criticism after criticism. There was also a major disconnect between all employees at the plant regarding MBM. You can hold meeting after meeting about continuing to push forward an MBM culture, but the more you push people (most of whom just want to work and go home), the more they mock the system behind your back and see it as almost a cult. Most things MBM preaches are common sense anyway and if your a decent person with a brain you do them without thinking.

Advice to Management

Focus more on early-career development and training for plant-level associates.

8. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Dudley, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Dudley, NC

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on work environment. Training opportunities

Cons

Terrible hours. Hard to advance.

Advice to Management

Standardized the local work place with the other facilities

"Customer Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary potential, work/life balance, close to public transportation

Cons

Old fashioned culture
    Unethical human resources

Advice to Management

Honesty, Integrity, and Ethics

10. "Temporary position as a general laborer"

Former Employee - General Laborer in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Former Employee - General Laborer in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay with consistent hours, typically each week would consist of 60 hours rather than the base 40, 1.5x pay for overtime. Simple work that is not too challenging with frequent lulls to be used as breaks between the standard breaks every 2-3 hours.

Cons

If you lack proper technique you will end up with multiple long paper cuts after each day due to handling the cardboard sheets.