Georgia Public Broadcasting Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "GPB"

I have been working at Georgia Public Broadcasting full-time

Pros

Core values of accessible life long learning

Cons

Salary constraints due to tight budget

"Great Place to Stagnate and Wither"

Former Employee - Web Content Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Web Content Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Public Broadcasting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great peers, good camaraderie within the department, excellent mission.

Our department had 5 staff and 3 managers. All of the managers were buddies before working together at GPB and made salaries that had nothing to do with their skill or responsibility level. None of them had any management training or experience before getting these 6-figure jobs. So, if you're a buddy of a current VP/ Director/ Manager, that could be a real pro for you.

Cons

Poor management; no management training; no adherence to the company's mission which is first to Educate - the education department currently has 2 staff; heavy on upper management; to achieve promotion, be sure to be the friend or relative of current management or other Georgia state official; no opportunity for upward mobility; HR is there to protect upper management, there is no follow-up or documentation filed on complaints, even when it's been made clear that "I'd like to file an official complaint;" no response from HR to repeated, consistent complaints against management from staff; toxic, unsafe work environment; men will call women "honey" and "sweetie" and ask women to take notes in meetings; ridiculous "open" floor plan in a world where visual and audio media are constantly being edited and therefore interrupted makes day-to-day work slow and frustrating.

Advice to Management

Start over from the top, please. Listen to employee complaints. Treat employees with respect. Provide some incentive, boost morale, train management, heed employee complaints, say please and thank you.

The culture of the company rests squarely on the CEO's shoulders. It is what she has allowed/ willed it to become. She could stand to learn employee's names and speak to them when they pass in the hallway or share an elevator. There are classes for that.

**the CEO of this company is placed in the role by the governor of Georgia.

"Salty Employer"

Pros

Being behind the scenes of GPB

Cons

I shadowed a salty woman.

Advice to Management

I shadowed a lady at GPB. My experience wasn't the best. She was upset because I didn't listen their radio station before I came, so she treated me differently. She didn't talk to me and explain to me what she was doing. She told me personal that's the reason why she did that. I kept asking her questions forcing her to talk to me. So I was stuck for 2 hours doing completely nothing! When I got tired of wasting my time, I asked her was that the reason she was doing this to me. She said interns have this attitude that when they come they can work but when they supposed to be shadowing. I felt disrespected. I had to be there 7:30 in the morning! If I knew I was going to get treated like this then I wouldn't of came. My advice to management is to tell your employees to don't be salty to people who was to know more about the business because you are representing GPB at all times. Thank you.

"Production Coordinator"

Former Employee - Production in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Production in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Public Broadcasting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company to begin a career in media. Great opportunity to do multiple jobs.

Cons

Not many opportunities to advance. Salaries not competitive.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Cross training is imperative.

"The GPB Experience - not recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Public Broadcasting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SUMMARY

Poor management carried out with even poorer manner. Questionable ethics and discriminatory business practices are characteristic of all moves made by this company. The building overall lacks any direction or comradery and is unabashedly biased towards those who occupy the disproportionately high number of director and executive positions filled by individuals who lack the industry knowledge or experience you would expect to warrant their titles or high paychecks. The wage gap between people at the bottom and those at the top is shameful and should be, if not already, criminal.

The CEO, Teya Ryan, is impersonable and unapproachable, and though maintaining an "open door policy," her demeanor and overall disregard for the people she employs suggest otherwise. She makes no qualms about calling you the wrong name or just ignoring you altogether unless an audience is present. This elitism trickles down through management as well, though there are a few good eggs in the bunch.

You would think that with such a poor work environment, Human Resources would step in to equalize, but complaints taken to HR are not properly documented, nor are they investigated or resolved. The department is internal to the company and only in place to make sure that discrepancies at the top are properly swept under the rug. It's hard to feel secure in your job when you feel like there's no one on your side helping to affect change in your working conditions.

PROS

The building thrives on interns and kids straight out of college with minimal skill and little expectation of how they should be treated (or paid), so it's a good place to get your feet wet, but don't expect to be valued longer than you are deemed immediately useful to whoever your supervisor may be. Potential is not something that is nurtured here, it's extorted.

Cons

High turnover rate, low morale, pay lower than industry standard, and no clear path for advancement. Jobs are fairly undefined and job titles fairly arbitrary and not in line with what you would find at other companies. Here, you may be a "producer" getting coffee and scheduling a few locations, but everywhere else you're a PA.

Advice to Management

Be willing to take feedback from your employees seriously and adjust accordingly for the betterment of the work community

"The Highs and Lows of Public Media"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

* Great starting place for entry level workers and students/interns.
    * Opportunities to try a lot of different things.
    * Incredibly talented, often self-managing and self-motivating, co-workers.
    * Health benefits

Cons

* Heavy on the upper management side.
    * High turnover rates, ill defined job responsibilities, untrained management staff, lack of strategic direction
    * Increasing expectations and demand for fast, high quality output amid dwindling staff.
    * Open office/workspace model has created unnecessary frustration and constant distractions for everyone.
    * Below average pay for anyone not in an executive position.
    * No clear path for promotion.
    * Very little value placed on long term/loyal employees. New employees notice and leave as soon as they arrive.

Advice to Management

People leave because they know they can not affect change. It has to start at the top. Pay attention and get to know the people who work for you. There are always specific reasons good employees chose to work elsewhere and those reasons are usually ignored.

"A Ball of Confusion"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Public Broadcasting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to cut your teeth on broadcast production. Great product!

Cons

A State Government agency that was subject to budget cuts.

"Great place to network co-workers are great to work with."

I worked at Georgia Public Broadcasting full-time

Pros

Experience, networking company benefits.

Cons

Discriminatory practices. You have to know someone in state government to move up the food chain. If you don't, you should not expect move to a higher position.

"Great "Small Town" Experience in a Large Market City"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Public Broadcasting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to work on live shows in every facet imaginable: Camera people to editors to on-air talent can "cut their teeth" at this station.

Cons

Inter-department conflicts need to get resolved. One department is not more important/better than the other. Need to work together as a team.

Advice to Management

Make sure leaders are team players with other leaders - this will trickle down to the rest of the employees.

10. "wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Intern/Freelance in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Intern/Freelance in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Strong family of employees that are very welcoming and a pleasure to work with. Excellent access to professional equipment and extremely knowledgeable crew of production employees.

Cons

Can't think of a single downside to working at Georgia Public broadcasting. It is tough having a tight budget but that is part of being a government television affiliate.