Georgia Tech Research Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Dr. Lora Weiss

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great work environment and good culture" (in 24 reviews)

• "Good work life balance, though this likely depends on the sponsored project you end up on and what level you're at" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "No full time positions are guaranteed to student co-ops" (in 7 reviews)

• "Sometimes you have to get grants for your research which can take a lot of time" (in 4 reviews)

1. "GTRI is a place to work as an intern"

Pros

Super kind employees. Awesome location in Tech Square.

Cons

Some conflict between different research groups.

2. "Good"

Current Employee - Research Technician II
    Current Employee - Research Technician II

I have been working at Georgia Tech Research Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Plenty of opportunities to grow
    - Do something different every day
    - Cool company overall
    - State Benefits

Cons

- Getting hired is a marathon, can take several months of jumping through hoops only to be told you do not qualify for the job you applied for
    - Even though there are additional benefits, the pay is not competitive and you will not always get the opportunity to use the benefits

Advice to Management

Clean up the hiring process. Just where we are we have had open positions for almost a year because people give up half way through.

3. "Graduate Research Assistant"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant

I worked at Georgia Tech Research Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

An interdisciplinary work environment that gave me the opportunity to work with engineers, planners and policy analysts on a great project

Cons

Sometimes difficult to maintain work-school-life balance.

"Principal Research Engineer, Senior Research Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Research Engineer in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - Principal Research Engineer in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech Research Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ill-defined but potentially positive connection to Georgia Tech academic side. But the difference between the two is daylight and night! GTRI should be aptly called Georgia Tech Contract Institute while Georgia Tech academic side is world-renowned in education and research.

Cons

Scant research and it is more of D. If you get funding they are happy. Otherwise they care two hoots about you and will show the door instantaneously. This happened to several of my colleagues.

Technically challenged managers especially those who came from other DoD contractors and military establishments. These guys are hard to please because of their ignorance more than anything else they have to offer.

Unprofessional, partial and arrogant management

Very little diversity (95% white Americans)

Advice to Management

Shed your arrogance and bias and recognize talent. Don't just hire your local graduates. Promote more diversity and be open to other cultures and viewpoints.

5. "Overall good company to work for. Not the place if you are young and motivated."

Current Employee - Research Engineer I in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research Engineer I in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. A lot of benefits with being considered faculty at Georgia Tech. People genuinely care about each other.

Cons

Slow and bureaucratic A lot of PhDs in management with no business or leadership experience. Limited career path and growth.

6. "Engaging work when I had it"

I worked at Georgia Tech Research Institute full-time

Pros

I loved the work that I had, and it required a lot of creative thinking to solve problems presented. I had incredible opportunities such as a business trip, all when I was a freshman in college.

Cons

I often had no work to do, leaving me very bored sitting in my office doing nothing for days and sometimes weeks. I felt like I got everything I could get out of it within the first term.

7. "HR Consultant"

I have been working at Georgia Tech Research Institute full-time

Pros

GTRI values education and investing in professional development.

Cons

Too many people have to approve things for anything to get done. Too many layers of red tape.

8. "Could be better"

I have been working at Georgia Tech Research Institute full-time

Pros

You work with some very intelligent people.
    Work/life balance is usually easy to maintain and your manager trusts you to get your job done.

Cons

The promotion process is terrible. You have to write a package on your own time explaining why you deserve a promotion that has to go all the way to the Board of Regents for review.
    Raises are typically ~3% annually and have nothing to do with appraisals/performance. For a raise to occur, it has to be in the annual state budget. So even though GTRI is currently doing a record amount of business, there were no raises this year. If ~3% raises are announced, that will be the average raise. (If someone gets a 5% raise, someone else will get a 1% raise. )
    Some labs experience large amounts of churn resulting in new management on an annual basis. (Making appraisals and raises even more frustrating.)

"Oligarchy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

21 vacation days, plus 12 holidays per year for everyone. Excellent retirement benefits; while some employers match sum fraction of employee contributions, GTRI contributes $1.5 for every $1 saved by the employee. Flexible working hours. Potentially interesting work in autonomous environment, but that is highly dependent on your Lab Director.

Cons

Lab Directors are essentially absolute dictators. They can take projects away from researchers (Principal Investigators), poach key personnel from your project or force personnel onto your project, all without any accountability. Legally, the Principal Investigator (PI) for a project is responsible for ensuring the legitimacy of all charges to their (typically government) sponsored research project; however, the organization supports a Lab Director’s (and his proxies) ability to override a PI’s management decisions. Thus as PI you are legally accountable for decisions you do not have the power to make.

Advice to Management

Stop burying Ethics Complaints. Both GTRI and Georgia Tech devote lots of words to Ethics and Compliance (web pages, e-mails, slides, verbal statements), but it appears to be just for show.

10. "RSD"

Current Employee - Research Security Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research Security Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Management is reasonable. Schedule after probationary period is flexible. Given responsibilities and not micromanaged.

Cons

If they know you are leaving for an extended period of time they don't bother with giving you work.