Georgia Tech Reviews | Glassdoor

Georgia Tech President Bud Peterson
Bud Peterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low work/life balance, career outlook highly dependent on advisor (in 21 reviews)

• I think this is one of the best place for graduate students (in 23 reviews)

1. "Scheduler"

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time

Pros

Good flexibility
    Relaxed environment

Cons

No growth
    Management needs help

Advice to Management

Improve work environment

2. "Racist boss"

Current Contractor - GRA in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - GRA in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

highly educated people and great location

Cons

a lot of racists there

Advice to Management

become less racist
    help GRA's rather than smother us with fees
    protect GRA's from abusive professors

3. "Worst Place to Work"

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great pay, and retirement plan

Cons

The supervisors (Steam Shop) have the habit to tell everyone's else business. I think that should be something that they keep to themselves, but i was told many times about the outcome of discipline situations of my peers.

Advice to Management

Look more into the shadiness of the steam shop leadership.

4. "soso"

Pros

It is difficult finding pros

Cons

charging a lot of work

5. "Graduate Students beware"

Pros

Lots of challenges when beginning to work at a school that does not value its graduate students. This means there is a lot of freedom to do what you want as a student.

Cons

The school of biology does not advise their students with any diligence. I was there for over a year before I was advised of what courses I should take as a PhD student.

6. "Its all about the money"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of great colleagues and students.

Cons

The only metric of success is external funding generated.

7. "GA Tech is ok"

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time

Pros

It's a great opportunity to get some hands on experience in the work force. The campus is beautiful and you get discounts everywhere.

Cons

benefits and parking are expensive. They're very up-tight -- can't be too outgoing or personable. Do your job and go home. DO NOT make friends

Advice to Management

show that you appreciate employees more and stop being so uptight.

8. "ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!!"

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time

Pros

The retirement plan is pretty good except the vestment period is 10 long years, which is double or triple what most companies require. Vacation and sick pay are fairly good.

Cons

GT was the absolute WORST place I'd ever worked in my entire life! The entire campus is littered with sociopaths in management that are allowed to basically get away with murder. I had a 2 year-long issue that they let fester into a giant, disgusting mess to the point that not even HR could repair.

I ended up finding out that the same issues were going on in pretty much every department across campus while attending a conflict class with a couple dozen other people having the exact same issues. One lady described how she began having serious health issues after enduring abuse for over 2 years with a psychotic manager that was making her life miserable, just because she could! She ended up having to leave her job for a new position that paid $6000 less just to escape from her horrible situation, the same as I had to. We recently had lunch and she told me that it took her about 6 months before her mind and body were back to normal.

I also had another friend that left with just 6 months left to his 10 year vestment period. He literally couldn't take it any longer and made the decision to leave in order to maintain his sanity. There are so many stories like this across campus, and this was even confirmed by the President's office, as they had so many complaints that they were simply ignoring them and creating hurdles in an effort to deter employees from pursuing their complaints any further. OHR is right in league with them in creating hurdles and frustrating employees into believing that they have no recourse against the university. This is all well known by Bud Peterson, who I can consider to be a do-nothing president since he chose to do absolutely nothing to resolve any of the countless complaints brought to his office and attention.

There's also the $900 parking tax, which is what it cost for a parking pass on the campus. They also continue to remove dozens of parking spaces across campus with every renovation in order to keep the parking passes increasing every year.

There's also an absurd amount of waste on this campus with $100M buildings going up constantly, as well as the endless redoing of the sidewalks and pathways, sometimes 2-3 times, after they've been completed. The amount of waste that I witnessed while working there would easily be north of several millions of dollars, with no end in sight.

Advice to Management

This seems to be epidemic in higher education with no hope in sight, perpetuated by you lot, so there's no advice to offer.

"Unfair in tenure process"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time

Pros

Great location, beautiful campus, nice office and department building, Okay benefits.
    Great department late leader.

Cons

Unfair with the tenure process, departmental and higher management give wrong advice and do you big injustice, despite their describing your performance as stellar. No mentoring or opportunities for professional development. No support at all.

Advice to Management

Transparency and commitment to your faculty is warranted, especially if they worked for six years building programs on campus and overseas and have helped you win a grant. You mess up with your faculty lives when you don't give them any indications early on that you are having problems with your budget and are intending to cut the line. Your treatment to me was unfair and epitome of injustice.

10. "Graduate Researcher"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to do cool stuff and interact with intelligent human beings.
    Georgia tech is a really high ranked institute.

Cons

You are extremely overworked and severely overpaid. In my opinion, georgia tech is slightly over rated. If you can avoid, do so. Not as shiny from the inside

Advice to Management

stop stealing money from student's paycheck. Student fees are not part of your base salary which is pretty bad to begin with. On top of that, you are required to pay an infinite amount of 'technology' fees that you DO NOT benefit from.

Showing 22 of 1,092 reviews