Georgia Tech Reviews | Glassdoor

Bud Peterson

1,079 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low work/life balance, career outlook highly dependent on advisor (in 22 reviews)

• I think this is one of the best place for graduate students (in 23 reviews)

1. "A solid employer where your success is primarily linked to your own self discipline."

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Very supportive community. Generally a good environment to work where a strong work ethic is valued. You don't need to "be seen" putting in long hours in the office per se. Instead it is more important that you produce high quality work in a timely fashion. This allows for a certain degree of flexibility that allows one to benefit from their own self discipline.

Cons

Must stay self motivated as there isn't someone there to pay you on your back after every big achievement. Also, money comes and goes with the state budget. Some years can be tight and some plentiful.

Advice to Management

Focus on the research and academic success of the school. Don't get caught up micro-managing.

2. "Great school, lots of resources available to you"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant

Pros

So many areas of research to get into. Easily top 5 engineering school in almost any discipline. World renowned professors span many fields.

Cons

Sometimes direction is missing from advisors

Advice to Management

Keep up with the growth of the U.

3. "Good school where the administration does not get in way of your work."

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I have worked at Georgia Tech as a Research Assistant for several years during my doctoral program. The pay is competitive, compared to what doctoral students get at other universities in my discipline. HR has improved dramatically since I joined. The gym is fantastic.

The school has done a great of job of letting me, along with my adviser, determine my focus. It seems that most students can arrange this: everyone I know here is getting paid for the dissertation work.

Cons

Living close to campus can be a pain. Most of the areas are either fabulously expensive or cheap but crime-ridden. I would recommend using the Marta train, which stops close to campus.

They require health insurance for students, and force some crappy policy on you if you don't prove that you are already covered.

Advice to Management

Don't discontinue cost of living raises for GRAs!

4. "Get paid to get your degree"

Pros

Dr. Mavris, the advisor of the Aerospace Systems Design Lab is very well respected and connected. He takes interest in each of his students.

Cons

Some students don't put in the effort they should.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing the best students. I would try to advertise more to improve Tech's name recognition.

5. "Outstanding Graduate program"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Prestigious university
    Lots of industry/government contacts
    Flexible Hours
    Cutting edge research
    Highly qualified coworkers
    Good job prospects upon graduation .

Cons

Long hours
    poor insurance
    Highly competitive
    High expectations of students
    Admission is highly selective and funding is even more selective

Advice to Management

I can't really say much about the leadership at Georgia Tech. I work for one of the professors and he does an excellent job as a project leader.

"Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

GA Tech has excellent benefits, flex time including telecommuting ( in IT dept), family oriented environment, time off for children and family is not a problem, practice of hiring within

Cons

Communication between management and employees need improvement, Manatory 5% for retirement is deducted from salary (note this mandate applies to all school/colleges in the University System of Georgia)

Advice to Management

Stop giving preferential treatment to employees you socialize with outside of work, Work to improve communication between management and employees

7. "Great place"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great resources and opportunities to collaborate. Close proximity to Emory and Emory Medical school. New facilities and friendly atmosphere. Very satisfied.

Cons

Could use closer advisement of students to ensure that thesis work is performed on a structured timeline. No other cons.

Advice to Management

Closer advisement of students to ensure that thesis work is performed on a structured timeline. Aside from this, great work.

8. "Web developer"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

good salary and job profile. I enjoy my job a lot and it helps me to develop my skills

Cons

None according to me, i guess they could pay me more :)

Advice to Management

Honestly speaking the employee's are handled pretty well at Georgia Tech

9. "GRA at Georgia Tech"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

International students at Georgia Tech get full tuition waiver when they work with a professor as a 100% research assistant. This goes a long way to reduce your tuition loan.

Cons

Atlanta may not be a great city to live in for everyone. If you are looking for an erudite environment of Boston or San Francisco, you won't get it here.

Advice to Management

Management should pay more attention to the graduate students who toil in its numerous labs. It just does not look as if they are made to feel special here.

10. "Typical graduate school experience, probably, very competitive and lots of work and uncertainty"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Highly-ranked departments, lots of research funding available, stable environment in tough economic times, Atlanta is a great city, education is a very gratifying field. Collaboration/Joint Department with Emory Medical School is very promising.

Cons

government bureaucracy can be discouraging from time to time, international reputation is still in the early stages due to being a public school located in the South.

Showing 1,079 of 1,123 reviews