Georgia Tech Reviews | Glassdoor

Georgia Tech Reviews

Updated July 18, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low work/life balance, career outlook highly dependent on advisor (in 21 reviews)

• I think this is one of the best place for graduate students (in 23 reviews)

"Zero Career Growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This review is for a STAFF position in one of the many administrative offices on campus. Yes, there are more than just students and faculty on campus; a university is a business and it takes people to run a business.

-Wonderful colleagues to work with!
    -Beautiful college campus
    -No overtime hours required (depending on the department and any ongoing projects)
    -Excellent benefits and vacation time, especially once you reach past 5 years

Cons

-No room for career growth
    -You're basically stuck in your job until you find a job in another campus department or off-campus
    -Not easy to get a job transfer to another campus department
    -Poor communication across campus departments
    - I worked here more than 5 years and my job title, job description, and pay never changed; the person who replaced me is entry-level and right out of college. Jobs tend to stay that way at GT which is why you have to leave GT if you're ever going to grow or move up in your career, or own a home of your own.
    -Pay is LOUSY. If you work in corporate doing the same job, you'll make double what GT pays (web development, communications, marketing, analytics, event planning, etc.).
    -If you have a trust fund, a wealthy spouse, or are close to retirement, or are a top level director in a campus unit, then GT is the place for you. Everyone else, look elsewhere!

Advice to Management

Allow room for career growth or else the huge staff turnover will never end.

"At first the job seemed great...then reality set in."

Former Employee - Academic Professional in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Academic Professional in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job provided stability and some flexibility in regard to working hours. The benefits were great with lots of vacation hours and sick leave.

Cons

The management style is lacking. The directors work very few hours and the entry level are expected to be at work from 8 am to 10 pm at times. My actual manager worked 30 hours a week for 95k and I worked 80 hours for 50k. There are no incentives nor rewards for good work. It seems that it was very much a "good-ole" boy system in regards to management--you have to be friends with someone to get the good tasks or responsibilities. The department was lax on safety guidelines and much was overlooked and ignored. My manager/boss had no clue what was truly going on nor how to teach nor manage. He made numerous mistakes in his lectures with regard to content because he didn't bother to update slides. My manager also did not understand innovation and had a 1950s feels for how things should be done. Cooperative learning, PLTL, inquiry, etc. was strictly forbidden because the students might not like it--despite the literature showing otherwise. This was the worst place I ever worked, and I went on to an Ivy League school where I am standing out as a top employee. I was merely the trash on the Georgia Tech.

Advice to Management

Fire the current managers and hire new fresh people who are innovative and lose the gold-ole boy regime that prevents others from excelling and doing well.

3. "PhD student and Research Assistant in Georgia Tech: Pleas read this carefully before coming to Georgia Tech!"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have already spent three years of my life here in Georgia Tech, and when I compare my experiences to other students in other top ranked universities, I can't think of pros for Georgia tech, except that you would eventually graduate from an apparently prestigious university with a fake top rank which might help having more chance to hunt a better job.

Cons

When it comes to the Cons of Georgia tech, It is a point of confusion as you don't know what to start with. As a student, you are the last thing in the world to be cared about in Georgia Tech. Salaries are way low in comparison to other universities and every month you have to pay around $500 as obligatory fees, which means literally 1/3 of the salary you get as an research assistant. There is nothing called student rights in this university. The system genuinely tries its best to rip students off. Professor can screw you in any ways they want, of course having the support of the university. Nothing is organized. The climate of the university is so depressing which would make you very uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Please close Georgia Tech, and start up a company to earn better money while hurting less students. Thanks.

"You can have a career here if you are NOT a waspy male"

Pros

Lots of vacation here.

Cons

Only females & minorities are promoted here. Rules & policies are not consistently enforced.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you trust them.

"Discriminatory, Malevolent, Ineffective, and Disdainful"

Current Employee - Office of Sponsored Programs in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Office of Sponsored Programs in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close to the highway, holidays off

Cons

Management is corrupt, the only way to get ahead is to be a female or minority. Hard work is not appreciated, people that work there for the most part are completely inept and cannot perform daily activities required to maiintain job. Management is over paid for the amount of work they don't do. Lots of wheeling and dealing on promotions and opwen positions. They know who they are going to hire before job is even posted and make no attempt to even hide their shoddy hiring tactics. Management are either dumb white country boys in Dockers or African American women who will only promote members of their own race.

Advice to Management

Stop discriminating! You can still hire white males even though you are located in Atlanta. Something can be said for getting a degree at an actual university and not from an online course, check into that. A dumb country boy in a pair of Dockers is still a dumb country boy in a pair of Dockers, even with a Georgia Tech name badge.

"If the job is with Georgia Tech Professional Education....RUN!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On the whole, Georgia Tech is a good organization to work for. GT offers relatively good benefits, professional development opportunities, and a well-respected brand within the community. Life can be very difference from department to department, however.

Cons

The Georgia Tech Professional Education department was easily the most dysfunctional organizations I have ever been a part of. Whether it was the Dean that was never around and just assumed all was well, the Executive Leadership Team that couldn't get along and outwardly bickered and showed disdain for each other, the directors within the organization that constantly were waging turf battles, power struggles, and openly slandering their colleagues, the belittling of long-time employees that contributed a great deal, or an overall culture of misery, negativity, distrust, cliques, and lack of team effort, every step of the way proved to be a bad experience with GTPE.

Advice to Management

There is a reason why it is a revolving door of employees within GTPE and the first step to fixing that is to address the overall culture of the organization. That doesn't mean hold a couple of training sessions and call it a day, but rather take a deep look at the culture, address those that are detrimental to the organizational culture, have strong leadership that is respected and functional, celebrate positive contributions by members of the organization, embrace being a higher education organization, and work on being a cohesive team. Until leadership stops making excuses for the current climate, however, nothing will change and it will continue to be a miserable place for employees.

"Not good employer"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great research facility and faculty

Cons

Stressful work. Tough environment. Benefits is the worst. As a PhD student, you have to pay a lot of extra fees each semester, and you earn very little,especially in school of ISYE.
    Bad service including transportation, parking, etc.
    NOt a decent public school. Tuition and fee increase a lot these years, and school management seems not care about students, only their own pocket.

Advice to Management

Stop torture the students, please.

8. "One of the hardest companies to work"

I have been working at Georgia Tech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a chance to be around some of the coolest people

Cons

Don't really get a chance to express whats wrong and fix the issue

9. "Waste of Time"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Tech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best pro is I didn't waste anymore time doing the job. Wrong place wrong department and I would never go back.

Cons

I worked at Georgia Tech for two years. Management was terrible. I worked before as a manager in the private sector and public sector. I took the job to go back to school and was treated like a mildly slow intern. My two managers might have been the most incompetent people I have ever met.

Advice to Management

Hire competent people. Just because you have experience doesn't mean your intelligent.

"Tons of employees who think they are rocket scientists who are lazy and unproductive."

I have been working at Georgia Tech part-time

Pros

Lol, I guess it's great if your a professor.

Cons

Anything below middle management is treated like interns and students.

Advice to Management

Advice wouldn't matter they already have everything figured out.

Showing 22 of 1,091 reviews