Gerber Collision & Glass Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brock Bulbuck

Pros
  • Decent pay once you move up the ladder, but you work three times as hard for every dime (in 4 reviews)

• Amazing people to work with other than upper management (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • they just pretend when upper management is around (in 11 reviews)

• Long Hours, sometimes breaks aren't taken (in 10 reviews)

"Company Who Cares For Employees"

Current Employee - General Manager in Wyoming, MI
    Current Employee - General Manager in Wyoming, MI

I have been working at Gerber Collision & Glass full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company cares for its employees. Company promotes growth from within and rewards employees who work hard and share same vision as organization. Company goes out of there way to express gratitude to employees which makes you feel valued as a team member. Your attitude determines your altitude at Gerber!

Cons

As an employee I feel valued and very fortunate to work for such a great company so I have nothing to complain about.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and accept feedback from employees. When Senior Management listens it makes ALL employees feel they are contributing to the overall goals of the company. Tech forums, WOW recognition programs, are great tools to reach your employees.

2. "Gerber Parts Manager"

Current Employee - Parts Manager in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Parts Manager in Salem, OR

Pros

Job stick with it till you get raise or find a better job more excited to pay you accordingly. Stand up for better pay.

Cons

Pay not enough pay for what they expect. Hours the dealing with part drivers fixing estimates keeping cars on a steady conveyer belt. Work for nothing.

Advice to Management

Should be paid as management

3. "They get it."

Current Employee - Auto Body Estimator in West Linn, OR
    Current Employee - Auto Body Estimator in West Linn, OR

I have been working at Gerber Collision & Glass (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer Service and taking care of the employee is #1
    They think outside of the box and do whatever it takes to hire great people

Cons

Too DRP happy
    Putting the cart before the horse in instances of shop DRP exposure before they're ready to handle it

Advice to Management

Before "flipping the DRP switch" on a shop make sure that they're fully staffed and company compliant with the SOP's.

"Production Manager"

Former Employee - Production Manager in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Gerber Collision & Glass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay once you move up the ladder, but you work three times as hard for every dime. If you go on salary, which will be expected, you will work after hours and on weekends for free.

Cons

Almost ZERO training-Gerber buys every shop they can get their hands on, but does not train the employees to perform tasks "the Gerber way". Many procedures are redundant, ineffective and although designed to insure quality, totally miss the mark. The Gerber way takes three times longer than actually needed to perform tasks. The technicians are not always up to par and Gerber does not even inspect their work until YEARS after Gerber has acquired a shop. The General Managers have NO TRAINING on how to properly manage their employees--an HR nightmare!!! IT IS A COMMON OCCURANCE FOR THE GM TO CRITICIZE AND RIDICULE EMPLOYEES WITHIN EAR SHOT OF THEIR CO-WORKERS AND DIRECTLY TO THEIR CO-WORKERS. I am very surprised there have not been multiple law suits. I was forced to work in a hostile work environment. I spoke to my inexperienced GM several times about the environment and was either ignored or told I was "being catty"???? The estimators think they are above all other staff and make it very difficult for CSRs or Office Managers to do their jobs. The GM I worked under made sure to avoid "coaching" (writing up) his golden estimators, even though instructed to by his superiors. The technicians are not appreciated and are put down daily. The work environment was absolutely toxic. I now wish I had retained a lawyer. I'm sure you are thinking, why didn't you report to HR? In the real world it is well known that you will suffer more and most likely be run off for consulting HR. FOR EXAMPLE : I went to HR with the previous owner, I was mistreated by my co workers for it and offered a demotion at another branch for a solution. At Gerber I was considered disrespectful by my General Manager for just talking to upper management. I was looking for advice on how I could find a solution for dealing with a new hire that was rude, impossible to communicate with, bad for morale, etc. She was also female, so I was called "catty" by my GM. This particular employee " ran off" two people in the first four months of being employed and continues to make work Hell for several other employees. I guess that's OK with Gerber. I was proud of the job I did for Gerber, I have been in the industry for 26 years. I had to get out for my mental health. If I could have received more support I would still be there. I was well liked and respected by corporate, our clients, vendors, and most co workers.

Advice to Management

When you purchase a shop send in a team of Gerber employees to train the new employees on the computer system while at the same time observing the office, GM, technicians, parts department and clean up crew. Do that for at least two weeks. Once that two weeks is done, have Gerber employees run the office and send the new hires OFF SITE to be trained for at least a week. Make sure the new office employees have support once they get back to their posts. Use this procedure throughout the whole shop in phases. Train the technicians and get them certified, they are the life blood of the shop. The clients lives are at stake if the repairs are not performed correctly. Put new office computers in right when you purchase the shop, do not wait until the employees have had to suffer for a year with outdated equipment that is inefficient. WOW certification should begin to be taught right away. Have employees take sensitivity training, especially management. Make a suggestion box to be able to communicate issues and TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. Have a private way of contacting HR with no retaliation.

6. "Not good people. Steer clear! I wish"

Former Employee - Body Tech in Mandeville, LA
    Former Employee - Body Tech in Mandeville, LA

I worked at Gerber Collision & Glass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work. Great benefits if you can afford them. I wish I had 20 words to say but I don't.

Cons

Lots of work not much pay. Double estimates and labor time is cut to the bare minimum. Long hours and poor working conditions. They have bonus incentives but every time you hit your margins they raise the bar. So don't expect a bonus because even if you earn it management finds a way to steal it.

Advice to Management

All managers should be required to work in the shop as a technician first. It's not about the numbers. It's about the people producing the numbers. Upper management needs to communicate more with the employees.

"Not the best"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Skokie, IL

Pros

not much to be honest lol

Cons

they dont care about you- employees and manager act like highschoolers (gossip)

Advice to Management

where do i start

"Very Racist Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gary, IN

I worked at Gerber Collision & Glass (More than a year)

Pros

At the beginning a very laid back environment, great learning experience to move onto something else

Cons

Company is very racist, they place black ppl only where the black customers are. They don't promote or give raises to their black employees. They pile work on you constantly, and only provide you with negative feedback. No employee appreciation at all. Make you work 6 days a week 54 hours a week, you even have days without a lunch break. Tries to short your check even though you clock in and out everyday.

Advice to Management

Equal opportunity!!!!

"CSR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Pros

when they acquired the company I worked for they kept the employees

Cons

There needs to be more training

Advice to Management

every member of the team is valuable

"estimator"

Former Employee - Estimator in Lacey, WA
    Former Employee - Estimator in Lacey, WA

I worked at Gerber Collision & Glass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

keeps you busy, day goes by fast.

Cons

management and quality of product going out the door to customer.

Advice to Management

more quality checks by managers before giving vehicles back to customer. Knowing what is a quality repair or not training to people who pull vehicles up front to be delivered.

11. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Collision Estimator in McDonough, GA
    Current Employee - Collision Estimator in McDonough, GA

I have been working at Gerber Collision & Glass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, competitive wages, great vacation pay and a fun environment. Constantly learning and a great opportunity for growth. Company constantly expanding.

Cons

Long Hours, sometimes breaks aren't taken