Germain Motor Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Steve Germain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very reputable dealserships"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are in control of your own salary. If you put in the work and effort, there is plenty of opportunity to excel.

Cons

With working in the car industry, the hours are not always the best. Some times it is difficult to meet monthly expectations.

2. "Fun, but disorganized"

I worked at Germain Motor Company full-time

Pros

A fun place to work that is really laid back.

Cons

Poor communication between sales people.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Naples, FL

I worked at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on Management, Family atmosphere

Cons

Long hours, weekend and holidays

Advice to Management

Keep up the motivation and team development.

4. "Great"

I worked at Germain Motor Company part-time

Pros

Great advancement opportunities, tons of location

Cons

not agile, very self centered,

Advice to Management

some people have worked there too long

5. "car sales"

Current Employee - Car Sales in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Car Sales in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company treats employs well

Cons

no complaints , just no job advancement opportunity's

6. "Sales and Leasing Consultant"

Pros

Beautiful facility, great location, the mid-level sales managers were pretty cool people, top salespeople make good money. My store was closed on Sundays which was a plus for me.

Cons

On an operational level, the finance and purchase paperwork process took forever and turned many happy customers into unhappy ones. We weren't allowed to desk our own deals, and the managers would get seriously backed up during busy times - again, wait times for customers were horrible even to get preliminary numbers.

From a cultural standpoint, the store I worked at wasn't well managed at the top level. We had three different general managers in 18 months; two of the three had no luxury car background and didn't understand what made a positive customer experience. They would stand over the shoulder of the New Car Manager every hour and apply constant pressure to "move the metal" but never pitched in to help. Every few months we would get a different pay plan that made it progressively harder and harder to make the same money. When sales were slow we would be browbeaten in meetings every morning, and at one point a senior manager told us we all "should be mowing lawns for a living." We were then expected to leave the meeting and provide a stellar experience for our customers. As a result of these old-school practices there was a significant amount of sales rep turnover when I was there.

Advice to Management

Hire a GM who understands the luxury car business of the current century. Treat your salespeople the way you want them to treat their customers. Trust your salesreps to desk their own deals and streamline the buying process - this isn't the 1970s anymore and customers won't accept a three-hour buying ordeal.

7. "Some good and some bad"

Pros

Flexible with schedules. When you make a decent number of sales, you can really make a good amount of money, but it's very very difficult to get there.

Cons

Pay plan is terrible. Lots of down time. Can be very slow at times.

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous pay plan. Progressive thinking. Does not spare any expense when investing in dealership advertising. Up to date CRM software and inventory management tools.

Cons

Some managerial instability. This can be caused by promotions or tolerance of unhealthy people.

Advice to Management

Germain would benefit by implementing a plan of action to deal with toxic people in the workplace. Toleration of people who work against the goals of the dealership, especially those in management roles should not be dealt with swiftly. If you close at 9pm close at 9pm for the sake of wives and children.

"Take a step away from mediocrity ..."

Current Employee - Marketing & Technology Director in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing & Technology Director in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology and a leader in the automotive industry makes Germain a great place to grow yourself and your career. We strive for excellence in all we do and don't settle for second best. It's a big company and privately owned and yet our long line of partners and associates all work cohesively to bring one of the best automotive purchasing and ownership experiences in the industry. It's an honor to work for the Germain family. As one of the best and fastest growing family businesses in the country, we love, appreciate and protect our cultures and the amazingly great work-life balance we have all come to appreciate.

Cons

Nothing bad to say ... I have spent half of my automotive career with Germain Automotive. We run very thin and serve our stores across 5-markets in 3-states.

Advice to Management

We come from a 100-year industry that many dealerships around the country have struggled to get current with retail and technology trends. We must continue to shrug off the bad karma of those who have jeopardized our reputations and look for ways to break away from these stigmas and grow with the technology and improve the customer experience.

10. "Fantastic Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Germain provides you with the tools to grow as a professional and individual. They like to promote from within and will recognize stellar performance and encourage people who break the mold with great results.

Cons

The work load can be challenging at times, however in my opinion, it's better to be busy than bored.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!