Germain Motor Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Germain

1. "car sales"

Current Employee - Car Sales in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Car Sales in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company treats employs well

Cons

no complaints , just no job advancement opportunity's

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous pay plan. Progressive thinking. Does not spare any expense when investing in dealership advertising. Up to date CRM software and inventory management tools.

Cons

Some managerial instability. This can be caused by promotions or tolerance of unhealthy people.

Advice to Management

Germain would benefit by implementing a plan of action to deal with toxic people in the workplace. Toleration of people who work against the goals of the dealership, especially those in management roles should not be dealt with swiftly. If you close at 9pm close at 9pm for the sake of wives and children.

"Take a step away from mediocrity ..."

Current Employee - Marketing & Technology Director in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing & Technology Director in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology and a leader in the automotive industry makes Germain a great place to grow yourself and your career. We strive for excellence in all we do and don't settle for second best. It's a big company and privately owned and yet our long line of partners and associates all work cohesively to bring one of the best automotive purchasing and ownership experiences in the industry. It's an honor to work for the Germain family. As one of the best and fastest growing family businesses in the country, we love, appreciate and protect our cultures and the amazingly great work-life balance we have all come to appreciate.

Cons

Nothing bad to say ... I have spent half of my automotive career with Germain Automotive. We run very thin and serve our stores across 5-markets in 3-states.

Advice to Management

We come from a 100-year industry that many dealerships around the country have struggled to get current with retail and technology trends. We must continue to shrug off the bad karma of those who have jeopardized our reputations and look for ways to break away from these stigmas and grow with the technology and improve the customer experience.

5. "Fantastic Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Germain provides you with the tools to grow as a professional and individual. They like to promote from within and will recognize stellar performance and encourage people who break the mold with great results.

Cons

The work load can be challenging at times, however in my opinion, it's better to be busy than bored.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

6. "It's just the Car Business"

Former Employee - Sales & Leasing Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales & Leasing Consultant in Columbus, OH

Pros

Always learning...
    Get to be around all kinds of cars...
    Interacting with the public/salesforce/employees

Cons

Favoritism... managers giving cheese to their favorites
    On Saturdays, busiest sales day of the week Advertised car specials in the paper leave salesman nothing for commission
    Floor flooded with rookies who burn through traffic
    Bogus customer satisfaction surveys affect pay

Advice to Management

Get a better quality sales help through a good salary plus pay plan..Put sales managers on the floor selling one month every 12 so they don't forget what it was like staying awake nights counting your washout...

7. "You get out, what you put in!"

Current Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Performance based pay, autonomy, positive atmosphere

Cons

late hours (its the car business...), motivating yourself to get out of a sales slump

Advice to Management

Make your people better in order to increase sales instead of adding more people. Too many people on the floor and you will drive away the "good" guys because they cant make a decent paycheck anymore. When your team is overloaded and can not handle the traffic, then add more people.

Also, please do a better job of listening to your people before making a final decision. Sometimes you will discover something that is very critical to the future success of the dealership that you didn't know because you are not in the "front lines". Knowledge is power.

"I would think twice about taking a sales job there."

Former Employee - Auto Sales in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Auto Sales in Naples, FL

Pros

Freedom to walk around that is it.

Cons

Hours, Leads, Management telling you to just call anyone, I tell you Germain's Re-Cycled Leads are of the lowest grade.

Advice to Management

-Typical Work Day (Surf the web, go get breakfast, and hope that you'll be lucky enough to even get to speak with a potential buyer.
    - Germain in many markets have tarnished their reputation due to the adjust market value added to their cars. Better value is found at auto nation, but not a better experience.
    - Not to mention almost each dealership Germain owns has some old timer also doing sales that is a personal friends of Bob Germain, these guys are handed nearly all the Online Traffic and Referrals. I can sell, as any sales man can buy judging buying signs. These old timers are handed sales, often don't even leave their desk. While the young guys have to play a rotating chairs game of would can sit at the front door with 25-30 other guys of who ever get there first.

-Advice to MANAGEMENT, don't lie to recruit salesman. Down size your sales team, no one is lazy that I worked with. Just too many cooks in the kitchen for one bowl of soup to be sold.

"Phenomenal company."

Former Employee - Auto Sales in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Auto Sales in Columbus, OH

I worked at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easton campus is beautiful. Near to everything. Big enough to disappear for while if you want, small enough to know everyone. For car sales, when I was there, the pay plan was PHENOMENAL. I paid taxes on 84000. We got paid once a week, too. Draw of about 380/wk. Bonus spiffs from manufacturer. No uniforms. Business attire. Heated underground parking garage. I had my own office, my own PC.

Cons

Sometimes the bureaucracy expands to meet the need of the bureaucracy

Advice to Management

This was the best job I've ever had. Ever.

10. "Job"

Current Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, fun and driving fine vehicles.

Cons

Can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic

11. "Great place to work, learn and grow your career"

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Germain Motor Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally upbeat work environment with positive co-workers. Family atmosphere. You'll make friends with the people you work with.

Cons

Change can be slow, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Depending on your preference, lots of meetings and training can interrupt work week.

Advice to Management

Management skills seem to vary from person to person, perhaps better management training would help.