Gerson Lehrman Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 9, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Paul Todd

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Hours are intense but work life balance is good compared to other finance/consulting type roles" (in 34 reviews)

• "Very collaborative work environment" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work-life balance is absolutely horrendous" (in 32 reviews)

• "Unless you are in the A team of the BU boss' favorites, you don't get any facetime with the senior management" (in 17 reviews)

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

GLG offers the best of both worlds -- small company entrepreneurial spirit, internal mobility, opportunity AND big company brand, resources, footprint. Not to mention the fantastic people that make going to work much more than a job.

Cons

Confusion over Gerson Lehrman Group vs. GLG.

"Be positive. When you've hit rock bottom, you can only go up!"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in this environment really helped me come to terms with my mental health when I'm at an all time low. I was in a pretty unhealthy relationship with my manager. Her criticism made me feel very depressed, and unfortunately, high key micromanaging is beneficial to profit so her behavior kept up very consistently. As a young professional, I've never learned to confront a manager or talk to HR about concerns, and while I put in effort to learn how, I wasn't taken seriously. But that's ok, the company has a lot of issues to work out, and they just choose not to focus on how they treat their people AS MUCH as most everything else (that's not to say they aren't trying - they are!).

Anyways, the depression I was in forced me to learn how to put my foot down, draw a line between work and life, and find coping methods to deal with incredibly stressful life events such as the extreme stress you experience in this job. I've worked in an ER and never felt as stressed as when I worked here to such little benefit/reward.

I look at this as a learning opportunity. If you want to push your stress levels to the limit, see how much it takes you to crack, feel the pull of demanding clients from every direction around the clock, then step up to the plate. You won't be let down by GLG

If you're looking for a job to start your career, but do not feel like you want the above, I might suggest starting somewhere else. This role is not for the average Joe.

Cons

I wish the company would advertise the incredible amount of stress and long working hours of this role. There are too many unsuspecting new grads or young professionals that don't understand their own limits and take on this job to find their physical or mental health in check. It's true that they provide the app Talkspace, although this doesn't tend to help the majority of people in the role who can't commit enough time to benefit from this tool.

Due to the long working hours, we were asked to choose "1 activity per week" outside of work - choose wisely. At first I chose tv and then ultimately switched to meditation when I was getting very depressed. I did have a friend who had gone to HR due to a laps in mental health and she was kindly asked to leave the company and seek a better fitting role since they couldn't help her.

Advice to Management

I hope y'all take a step back and look at the sand castle your building, the tide is about to come in.

3. "Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancing roles with increasing salary if you prove yourself.

Cons

High turnover, recently hired unaware, unskilled employees

Advice to Management

Continue to hire from good schools. It shows.

"A decent entry-level position"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company makes a focus to hire young, bright minds, so the day to day interactions with peers are great. The office also is trendy, with an in-house barristas and open seating. The compensation for people right out of college is competitive, and there are opportunities to progress fairly quickly. The job does look great on a resume, as people who leave often go on to some really interesting and exciting opportunities.

Cons

The hours are long, the metrics are demanding (and often completely nonsensical), and employees quickly hit a ceiling in terms of skills that are developing and knowledge that can be obtained. Turnover rates are very high, and upper management/execs are out of touch with the ultimately very human element that comes with a job such as this one. Managers are young, which is exciting for people not too far removed from college looking for the experience, but many aren't good at being managers as a result and there's no real way to inform upper management of this.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their feedback. The company is losing touch with the experts it works with because it's continuing to prioritize quotas and metrics that are often nonsensical in nature. The executives making changes to employee metrics are clearly not paying attention to what the people actually doing the work and driving profits are saying, and this becomes evident in how people are responding to surveys and to how the turnover rates are continuing to go up. Paul Todd is a very promising new CEO, but his observations and thoughts haven't trickled down. It'd be very beneficial to listen to the shortcomings he's already noticed, like high turnover, spamming the experts we work with, and a work culture that isn't as welcoming as promised, and work to actively remedy them.

"An O.K. spot to kick off your career"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Cushy, not stressful (depending on the role)
    - Provides great value for specific industries
    - Strong brand to leverage for external career mobility/industry respect
    - People are nice (sometimes too nice - minimal confrontation can become an issue)

Cons

- Lack of diversity
    - Highly political, depending on the business you join
    - Research can become a monotonous job, you're literally tasked with google searching and linkedin recruiting people into GLG's network every day

Advice to Management

Continue working on the serious diversity issue that everyone is pointing out on Glassdoor

"Research Manager"

Former Employee - Research Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is pretty diverse, you get a chance to work with the top tier talents with the best academic background. The culture is inclusive, the colleagues are very friendly and nice. The branding is pretty showy on your resume.

Cons

The job itself is extremely simple and tedious, it only takes like two weeks to get used to and you just repeat everyday without the need to think deeply. The talent people are overqualified for this kind of work. You don't really learn much after a while.

7. "GLG"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Solid training program. Good introductory career skills.

Cons

Product didn't evolve. There was a ceiling on professional learning opportunities

8. "Good vision, lots of cash"

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart team members at GLG

Cons

Large and corporate culture at GLG

"Deserves a mediocre rating. New college grads beware.."

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-yes, there are cases of terrible team fits. if you don't have a nightmare manager or other senior leader, most people love their direct team or at least a few friends they started with

-the work is not hard. It's very, very simple. But training and hiring is poor so you have many cases of the proverbial fish being asked to climb a tree and being judged for that.

-college grads with no real job prospects can usually socialize their way to a job. The inconsistency in hiring standards makes for a fun social group. This also leads to a lot of underqualified people who struggle to do a job that any organized person can do with ease.

-office/coffee. they invested in a lot of superficial perks to try and keep up with the Austin tech scene (still very behind for a non-early stage startup). Free Houndstooth coffee during the day, occasional unhealthy snacks bought once a week first come first serve. The office is really nice looking for a standard bullpen setup

-some early hires found swanky titles and responsibilities by staying, they are all entrenched. Any NY execs don't really have a clue about Austin's real work life balance or just don't care because it seems all great making cash and networking without seeing how terrible the work actually is

-diversity represents Austin. If you want to live in a fun, liberal city but lowkey don't want to be around minorities, this is perfect. Not that your decade plus of hiring only your frat/sorority bros from a few schools had any impact on that...

Cons

-comp is woefully low for job hours, clients, responsibilities, and GLGs reasonable treatment of its bread and butter. Pay is good for execs and NY, but they basically take advantage of college grads and make it seem like a privilege to work for scraps.

-lack of career. No real growth in learning skills, transitioning to anything else, etc. The smart ones find a way out, even starting from scratch, or to tech, grad school, or startups. The ones who just want a job but hate GLG end up as recruiters somewhere else or even leave corporate life.

-meaningless work, terrible clients. Your clients are not good people, they are financial firms and consulting firms that prioritize their own prestige. They will treat you like garbage whether on PSF, financial services, surveys, etc.

-promotions are based on cliques. If you've never been to a stereotypical movie drama high school, get ready for GLG. You can't win if you buy into the cliques or hang out with people outside of work: people will sabotage you, etc. It's not really about performance since most people can do this job.

-inconsistent messaging and attitude from senior leaders. Again, tied to the stayed-too-long crowd

Advice to Management

No matter how much you invest in the superficial, your culture and actual work product have suffered from neglect and hanging onto untalented old-timers who basically tenured their way to senior leadership. You will always lose the top talent which is why college recruiting has gone for lower tier hires than competitors.

This is also a core reason why the product doesn't evolve and why clients don't really respect GLG like the company claims. Clients use GLG as a paid phonebook because that's what you stress to employees until they break

The Chief schmoozing officer once asked us to review GLG on glassdoor, after which the rating tanked. Thankfully for GLG, competitors are also finding this industry just isn't meaningful as they aren't great to work for either.

10. "Research Manager"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

Great peers to work with, and you have the opportunity to manage early in your career

Cons

Office politics, work life balance