Gerson Lehrman Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2019

2.9
Paul Todd

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Hours are intense but work life balance is good compared to other finance/consulting type roles" (in 36 reviews)

• "Very collaborative work environment" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Difficulty managing work-life balance, especially given high growth" (in 43 reviews)

• "Long hours which is not adequately compensated for" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A realistic perspective"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As most reviews have mentioned, one of the strongest assets GLG has are the people. The workplace is laid back, engaging and encouraging of team interaction. The benefits package (including flexible, e.g. use as needed, PTO) is one of the strongest I've seen and there are regular opportunities for networking with C-Suite execs and subject matter experts.

Cons

As with any company that grows quickly, there are always opportunities for improvement. The new CEO introducing a lot of changes so I am excited to see how they all pan out.

Advice to Management

Keep an open mind and continue to listen to employee feedback.

"Great for Engineering, Real Respect for Quality Code"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Top of the line MacBook Pro, freedom to expense all the tools you need
    - Work from home 4-5 days a week, and/or go to the beautiful and conveniently located office as much as you want
    - Freedom to pursue projects that you think have real business value, ability to switch between teams in the company
    - Devs on my team are great, real focus on building quality products that meet real business needs without deadlines. Little pressure from management to "get code out the door." If I need to take a couple weeks for a research project based on log files and app-generated data, I can do that.
    - Vision, dental, and health insurance are reasonable. Life and disability insurance are free, with options to increase the benefits. Great parental leave

Cons

- Company is growing quickly right now, making it more difficult to find people with institutional knowledge to answer questions
    - It took a couple weeks to sort out benefits when I was hired
    - Healthcare premium is not 100% covered, plans have a deductible so an FSA account is a good idea

Advice to Management

Spend more time building a collaborative culture considering large number of WFH employees. Developers often split off into pairs or threes with video chat and the group chat room is frequently lifeless. It can feel a little segmented and isolated.

"Ignore the negative Glassdoor reviews"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at GLG for several years and am eternally grateful for the opportunities the firm has provided me. This company defined the category for a specific type of B2B market research and are making significant waves in other areas of market research.

The skills you learn here are critical in any professional setting: project management, sales, people management etc. it has the start up vibe with the perks of being an established org.

As someone who came in with no experience, this company invested in me and made me the professional I am today.

Cons

none. Honestly, I think a lot of the negative feedback on Glassdoor comes from young professionals who have a very skewed expectation for what a first job should be (you have to exceed expectations at an entry level to gain more responsibility....) This is a VERY good opportunity as a new grad. When you join the workforce it’s your responsibility to take charge of your career. Regardless of what other Glassdoor reviews have said, I have seen countless transitions of GLGers to other areas of the org once they have proved themselves in client solutions/research. The upward mobility is really unparalleled for twenty somethings, especially without an advanced degree.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire experienced employees with outside GLG experience. I’ve learned a lot from all of them.

"Exciting Opportunities at GLG"

Former Employee - Events in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Events in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is an exciting time to be at GLG. With a dynamic, passionate new CEO leading the company there is ample opportunity for growth and collaboration. GLG Leadership is accessible and transparent with the CEO and his team going above and beyond in their daily efforts to listen to and empower as many people as they can. You have the opportunity to contribute and collaborate in a wide variety of areas - building skills and gaining experience. If you are willing to reach for the brass ring, GLG will reward and encourage your efforts.

Cons

With a new direction comes growing pains. GLG is not immune to growing pains, but they acknowledge them when they occur and work to learn from them.

"The Best It’s Been in My 3 Years Here"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working here. The office is incredible. You’re surrounded by genuinely nice, smart people who always have time to hear you out on a new idea or problem you’re trying to solve. All the perks of a startup with the benefits of being a 20 year old company. Unlimited vacation, flexible work policy, growth opportunities, and quarterly reviews. It’s a good time to be here.

Cons

It can be on you to find the right person to talk through your career goals. Don't assume your direct manager is your only resource.

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to speak up more to make sure all voices are heard.

"Not recommended for sales"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall there are good people at GLG and everyone is pretty smart and interesting.

Cons

The biggest con is commission on sales, which hovers around 5% (and I know someone whose all-in commission is 3%). The incentives are totally mis-aligned and do not drive or motivate people, which is why almost all of the senior sales professionals have left over the past 12-18 months. For example, if you sell a 2-year deal you are only comped on 12 months, which means that despite selling a bigger deal which was almost certainly more complex and took more effort, you're only getting paid as if it were a one-year deal. You'd think management would want to encourage multi-year deals because it's guaranteed revenue and makes the client stickier, but instead they discourage it by only comping you on the first year. Similarly, taking on management responsibilities means you have a higher overall quota (since now your all-in number includes your direct reports) but doesn't include an increase in your comp -- so you have a bigger number to hit and more responsibility for the same money.

Advice to Management

Hire senior sales manager with actual sales management experience instead of always promoting from within or bringing in former McKinsey consultants to manage sales.

7. "Positive"

Current Employee - ETL in New York, NY
    Current Employee - ETL in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and awesome people

Cons

Minimal promotions and long working hours

"Wish I could have written a Letter to My Younger Self"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office. Half the folks here are good people, on equal levels of miserable, who are stuck here because of various personal problems or because GLG dragged them down and stripped them of all ambition after the first year.

Cons

The other half of the folks at GLG are kool-aid drinkers and revenge seekers. There's a back-stabbiness that has taken years to get to this level, fully perfected and lethal. Unfortunately, most teams have manager-direct report issues, where the managers don't trickle down information (but actually put in the effort to hide things from their reports) and the direct reports are often too scared and used to acting without help and oversight. Ultimately, due to lack of communication and breakdown of trust, people start feeling cheated and disposable, and this is a problem that affects all layers of seniority throughout the company.

I've personally been torn down and stomped on during my time at GLG and have seen countless of my friend sicken emotionally, mentally and physically due to the inhumane treatment at the hands of GLG management. I know everyone hopes that a new CEO and a new HR Head will help manage these behaviors, but few vicious managers can change their skins so easily and all of a sudden become what's needed just because the new directive focuses more on culture than ever before.

For those strong of spirit out there, who decide to take on the challenge despite all warnings, please know that the friend you make today might be gone next week. The turnover at GLG is off the charts and I feel like there's another person I know leaving for a better, more normal, company every week.

If, despite all warnings, you do join this company, use it smartly: as a platform right out of college, to figure out what you want to do with your life. Don't spend more than 2 years here. For all those who have, I've seen their spirit break, their energy drain and hope extinguished. They stayed and are probably still here. And after your rage at the indignity of this company dissipates, after the mute calm takes over, you begin slowly drinking the kool-aid yourself.

Advice to Management

Despite everything, I do believe in the GLG product and know the company can turn it around with more insight and input from the new CEO. But that can only happen if GLG puts more effort into building an infrastructure and creating a strategic plan. I don't just mean "What do we broadly need to do to up our rev by X." I mean: "Team X has a new head and they're supposed to do Y but nothing's come from them in 3 months." Instead of asking "What happened?" and responding by saying "Oh, it's ok, we'll see results soon," just hire someone who can create a structured plan, project and people manage and ultimately get the wheel rolling so things start happening. And please, please be honest to GLGers about changes. We all know this is a change-heavy environment, but you can't just brush things under the rug out of fear that we'll flip at even more change. We will, it's gonna happen, but we're all going to be happier and saner knowing what's coming from you, rather than chatting in corners and hearing startling news from our peers.

"Growing Pains"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

- Great place to learn business acumen and discipline
    - Growing rapidly with plenty of opportunity to grow with the company

Cons

- Difficulty managing work-life balance, especially given high growth
    - Little support from upper mgmt or recognition that burnout is a problem

"The Daily Ride Is Good But Where We Going Dad?!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big investment in more tech people which is great for me
    Working on (IMO) poorly defined objectives relative to other tech shops I've worked at. CEO talks a great game about getting more tech savvy, etc., but the end game isn't clear AT ALL and the IT management appears to be in an uncomfortable position. So, nice environment for a seasoned engineer where you have the experience and track record to add value BUT engineers prefer crisp direction and this place feels more like a company having good intentions but no one truly has the vision or experience to chart a course. Austin office is nice and perks are typical (but also nice). It's a hot IT market here and getting hotter so easy to stay and see if they figure it out and bail if not.

Cons

Business is VERY dependent on PE and consulting customers
    Very low tech IQ here
    Very much a service business trying to get more techie - every service company's dream but few pull it off.
    Despite a large commit to tech, hiring too many people before structure and leadership more able to handle. Feels like startups I've been at BUT without the founder vision and passion. I like the vibe in Austin but company needs a reset quick or people like me will jump given the market and options available.

Advice to Management

CEO & team need to step back. Why are we charging ahead with IT investment? What's the endgame? How will it deliver value and at a reasonable ROI. Feels like you're making up for the past tech neglect so while the need and intentions are very good, somebody needs to define a vision and architect a plan before we all end up in the abyss!!! Only so much talking "strategy" can get you there. Someone actually needs to know the details and substance of what we're going to do. I'm an engineer so obviously have a skewed view but I've worked at a number of good shops and this is probably the worst battle plan I've seen EVER! HELP REQUIRED!