Gerson Lehrman Group Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Gerson Lehrman Group President and CEO Alexander Saint-Amand
Alexander Saint-Amand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and work environment (in 34 reviews)

• Very collaborative work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent (in 28 reviews)

• Senior management delegate tasks with no visibility about their day to day role (in 16 reviews)

1. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Projects in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Projects in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic, growing company that presents significant opportunities for innovation.

Cons

Limited access to senior figures and mentorship

2. "Different"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group part-time

Pros

Easy access to a wide array of available projects you can apply to work on

Cons

None that I know of

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

GLG offers the best of both worlds -- small company entrepreneurial spirit, internal mobility, opportunity AND big company brand, resources, footprint. Not to mention the fantastic people that make going to work much more than a job.

Cons

Confusion over Gerson Lehrman Group vs. GLG.

4. "Consultant"

Current Freelancer - Counsel Member
    Current Freelancer - Counsel Member

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global presence, good client base, good service, fast rate payment.

Cons

Need to better negotiate hourly rates for consultants with multi-decade experience and large IP inventory.

Advice to Management

Expand pharma/medical device client base.

5. "Senior Consulting Council Member"

Current Freelancer - Senior Consulting Coucil Member in Kansas City, MO
    Current Freelancer - Senior Consulting Coucil Member in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group (More than a year)

Pros

A great way to stay relevant.

Cons

Can have long periods of no contract work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"A great place to work as a young person who is eager to learn."

Former Employee - Public Affairs in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Public Affairs in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at GLG is the people. I worked on a small team and I can honestly say that I really enjoyed working with every person on my team and I learned a lot from each of them. The company is full of young people who are interested in many different topics. I really appreciated that not everyone has a super clear plan of what they're trying to do next in their career, they're more interested in learning along the way and are open to having different positions in the future. I also found that people had really good attitudes and that it's a collaborative working environment. My writing and editing skills improved a lot and I learned how to balance different team and company priorities.

Cons

Sometimes working with other teams slowed down the pace of projects. I think that sometimes teams spent too long getting buy-in from others. It can be easier to work with fewer people when you have to agree on each item in a project.

Advice to Management

Talk to people. Surveys can only tell you so much. People should have more informal conversations about what they enjoy and what needs to be improved.

"Like most things, you get out what you put in."

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

Fairly straightforward in my opinion. This is a pretty great company who is achieving in the space, and is in a time of high growth. My colleagues and coworkers are smart and most of them work quite hard. Those who do so and achieve are rewarded.

Cons

GLG first defined "expert network" and are now defining "on-demand professional learning" --- this means constant evolving and changing as a company strategy. This notion of change is a) tough for a company to execute well
    b) troublesome for some employees to handle and therefore difficult to manage internally, generally. Sometimes GLG does a good job dealing with it. Sometimes they do not.
    3 things stick out to me:
    1: If you are not comfortable with change in your day to day activities, you probably shouldn't work here. Goalposts can and do change.
    2. If you are not willing to work in a metrics driven environment you probably shouldn't work here.
    3. If you don't want to be in client services, you probably shouldn't work here.

Advice to Management

Your employees have created closely knit teams in their BU's. Make them all feel like they work together as part of a whole and spend some time and energy on fun and incentives. It's not just about having beautiful offices.

Gerson Lehrman Group Response

Sep 26, 2017 – Head of Talent Development and Learning

We appreciate these thoughtful comments. You’re right: change is a big challenge. But with nearly 1,500 committed, talented employees worldwide, we’re getting it done. We’re proud of the growth we’ve... More

8. "Good"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel it is a very fair company that gives its consultants opportunities to shine. .........

Cons

Contracts are not always available. So, there are some time in which there will be dry spells.

Advice to Management

I feel the management is fair.

9. "IT"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

Fast growing, challenging environment, lots of fun and learning

Cons

The company has grown substantially from where it was 5 years ago, there is no Com, it is trending upward!

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Strategy Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Strategy Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A terrific place to build ones career with strong long-term prospects. To wit: accelerating growth overall, growth in different markets and geographies, strong product and service posture, excellent compliance architecture, great talent across the board, and increasingly transparent and communicative.

Cons

Building (but not fully achieved) a long term vision for talent development and career paths. Sometimes retains people who are strong contributors but have bad habits, which can demotivate junior employees. Needs additional training for lower- and mid-level managers. Let managers manage - don't expect them to be individual contributors and excellent managers simultaneously.

Advice to Management

After a lull following the financial crisis and a good deal of change in response, it's time to focus on change management and training. Communication has improved considerably, with regular town halls and office visits. Keep those up. Increase your focus on training lower- and mid-level employees to be culture champions and great managers. Meet regularly with a cross section of employees at those levels to solicit new ideas and reinforce the changes, culture, and expectations across the company.