Gerson Lehrman Group Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gerson Lehrman Group President and CEO Alexander Saint-Amand
Alexander Saint-Amand

Pros
  • The flexibility that GLG offers its employees to be themselves and have a good work/life balance as they achieve at work is the best I've seen (in 29 reviews)

• Very smart people - always working on very interesting things (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be limited (in 18 reviews)

• Early mover status cemented their success not brilliance of senior management (in 16 reviews)

1. "GLG Primary Research Consultant"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group (More than a year)

Pros

GLG source on-point consultancy and expert market research calls that add real outstanding value to the client providing really great data.

Cons

Although this does not happen regularly, one frustration is when the client doesn't call in or drops you with short notice just prior to a call... GLG are great and understanding however the client ought to respect that time is money and expect to pay for a no show.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work whilst maybe clarify project titles a little less generically as some are too broad resulting in time being spent on very short calls to the detriment of both client and consultant expert.

"Junior Recruiting Associate"

Current Employee - Associate Recruiter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to get on the phone and talk to so many different industry professionals

Cons

If you don't make the most of the time on the phone with these industry professionals, the work will seem monotonous and tedious.

Advice to Management

The Network Development team is a great team and so approachable - keep it like this.

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Consultant in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group (Less than a year)

Pros

GLG provides a broad range of opportunities, easy access to opportunities and prompt payment.

Cons

I have had no negative experiences

Advice to Management

Continue to find good talent and match them with great opportunities.

"Great Job"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young company and fun/outgoing culture. Very fast-paced and team-oriented work. You will get management opportunities very early. You have a direct impact on the company early and you get to see the results of your work real time. Standout performance is noticed and rewarded. Fantastic office, location is unbeatable, barista makes great coffee.

It's a challenging job and it will test you sometimes. We have a lot of responsibility placed upon us fairly early on. It is what you make of it.

Cons

Work/life balance is pretty dependent on your manager, clients, and team. Some people have a much greater workload than others (not by choice). Hours can be very long (Most people work from 8/8:30am to 6 or 7pm every day).

Advice to Management

I would have more mandatory learning sessions for industries/sectors. We need to learn more content. Overall, upper management is great.

"VP, Business Development"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group (More than a year)

Pros

I joined the firm in its exciting, yet rigorous, growth phase. I loved my boss, Aaron Liberman, as well as my other sales colleagues. The CRM was awesome and easy to navigate. Mark was amazing and so were our hard working analysts and team leaders. Look, it's New York. If you want to make money, you put in the hours. Take big bites of that sandwich while you're young because you eat a lot less later. From a sales perspective, we all were very competitive for new client acquisitions. If we didn't work as hard as we did, nobody would make any money. Yes, it is demanding but if you're smart, a GREAT team player and can navigate the politics, you'll do just fine. It was the best job I had in New York. Remember to enlist upper management in all your endeavors, including your peaks and pits. They will listen. Obviously, they have if you look at where the firm has come since 1993 when we were on 41st Street! Dedicate your mind to making it fun - it can be heaps of fun. Your whine will quickly be noticed and you will have your necessary resources dedicate their time to someone else excited about their role and moving forward. Lucky you to work for GLG!

Cons

If you want to get ahead in sales, doing your homework to get ahead will keep you at the office until 11 or 12pm. There is only one senior executive that I did not care for, so I avoided him until I had another big win. True, it may feel like a sweatshop if you're just out of college but this is now WORK! Mark, Aaron and Marla were great mentors as well as Sam, Legg and Dmitri. Developing LERA was so much fun and a great learning experience which I still leverage today. Work hard. Play hard. Have fun together because you create your own workplace environment. Teaming is the key to success at this firm.

Advice to Management

Less micromanagement from top execs. Allow the research analysts lean more on their respective Directors. Sales is one of the hardest jobs at the firm, so if you're not ready to put in the blood, sweat and tears - do not apply. Same goes for research analysts.

7. "Good opportunity"

Current Employee - Strategy in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategy in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

A growing company headed in the right direction. The company is making the right investments in development and growth after a period of adjusting to compliance challenges that built some bad habits. Large market opportunity. Strong compliance.

Cons

As mentioned the company (probably rightly) is concerned about compliance, which can impact the competitive posture. Also as the company had some doldrums in the mid 2000s the company still has some bad habits which were built in that period, but the right changes are underway. There is a good opportunity to drive change and add lots of value.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path to change. There is a great market opportunity.

"GLG is an excellent company to work for"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I spent nearly 4 years working at GLG and it was a great experience. It is a vibrant company, growing rapidly, with smart management and good morale amongst its employees. The NY office has a cutting edge feel, with radical architecture and lay-out, plus a terrific barista, that give the environment the exciting feel of a high-tech start-up that has arrived. The flexibility that GLG offers its employees to be themselves and have a good work/life balance as they achieve at work is the best I've seen. I am musician outside of work and I was always supported by management and my colleagues and this meant a lot to me. While competition has gotten stronger it was rewarding to work for a company that the market recognized as a cut above the rest. GLG is an incredible place to grow your career and network. I grew directly from learning from my managers, who were fantastic people, and my colleagues, who were smart and intellectually curious.

Cons

GLG is growing rapidly and the pace of change can feel intense, and perhaps that's not for everyone. But if you're a driven person it shouldn't be a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Find ways to continue the positive efforts to communicate about the rapid change and growth of GLG.

"Keep on the good path"

Current Employee - Junior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Junior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Been a great friendly place to work. Great people and environment. Provides a great avenue to learn as much as you want about business structure in general and about other industries at the same time.

Cons

Large corporation so its intimidating to interact with everyone you might like to learn from. However people are very open if you do try and make time.

Advice to Management

Doing great on the company wide interactive things. Keep it up.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, highly entrepreneurial, visionary, outstanding leadership, great colleagues, amazing location (near Grand Central), ultra-modern office space, focus on social impact & volunteering, meditation, great training, tons of social activities inside and outside the office

Cons

Performance-based meritocracy so you must contribute to survive. Hours tend to be on the longer side as you would expect for a more entrepreneurial organization

Advice to Management

Keep executing on the new strategy; encourage a culture of radical transparency

11. "A career for the curious-minded individual"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

The colleagues that I work with are forward-thinkers and have GLG' collective goals in mind. GLG definitely takes care of its employees when it comes to new hire-training and benefits; I am excited to see how the company grows over the next five to ten years since GLG's platform serves a definite purpose to educate working professionals within their designated niche fields. If you are curious about our office.....it is beautiful! I have nothing negative to say about the corporate culture yet, everyone is friendly and welcoming.

Cons

GLG is still in an early phase of development

Advice to Management

Everyone in management has been supportive thus far