Gerson Lehrman Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Gerson Lehrman Group Reviews

Updated November 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility and work/life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Very smart people - always working on very interesting things (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be limited (in 26 reviews)

• Senior management delegate tasks with no visibility about their day to day role (in 16 reviews)

"Incompetent Middle Management on Research Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

Good coffee and office location

Cons

There’s plenty of accurate feedback on what Research is like on Glassdoor (see the most “Helpful” rated comments), but if for some reason you do decide to take a job at GLG, do NOT join Research Operations.

I have experienced more than one role at GLG, and can confidently say that being on Research Operations is the least optimal choice. Don’t get me wrong, GLG as a whole lies to you about your job/day-to-day and completely bait and switches bright-eyed bushy-tailed grads into taking “research roles”, but no role is worse than being an associate on ROps, especially Project Support or Member Solutions. They are incredibly high-volume, transactional, basic admin/customer service jobs, and not a thing more. In fact, management measures your professional worth by the number of emails you send and how many calls you take and schedule in a day.

The turnover on those teams is rampant and for good reason. Like many other reviews accurately claim, GLG is full of awful management, and that includes on Research Operations. Middle management is completely unapproachable when issues arise, are wildly passive-aggressive, and are clique-y, micro-managers who can never accept or take responsibility for their faults.

In general, be apprehensive of anyone who has never been in management outside of GLG.

Advice to Management

Giving company wide manager trainings with bad managers leading the trainings is just silly.

"Junior Associate"

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

Met some interesting people, austin is a cool city

Cons

Misled about job duties and goals, practically stalked executives on LinkedIn all day in hopes of them wanting to consult, and our client thinking that that candidate was worthy. Don't work here.

Advice to Management

Stop misleading people in the interviews. Management is trash. A bunch of 25 year olds being promoted due to the their tenure instead of compentency.

"🤢"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What a terrible, terrible place to work. Easily the most stuck up people I've ever worked around.

Cons

And why are they conceited? Nobody knows. The business model here is a scam - the whole company is just a giant call center.

Advice to Management

There aren't words for how useless this company is. Shouldn't even be a thing. No advice for you guys. Advice wouldn't help anyway.

"Like most things, you get out what you put in."

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

Fairly straightforward in my opinion. This is a pretty great company who is achieving in the space, and is in a time of high growth. My colleagues and coworkers are smart and most of them work quite hard. Those who do so and achieve are rewarded.

Cons

GLG first defined "expert network" and are now defining "on-demand professional learning" --- this means constant evolving and changing as a company strategy. This notion of change is a) tough for a company to execute well
    b) troublesome for some employees to handle and therefore difficult to manage internally, generally. Sometimes GLG does a good job dealing with it. Sometimes they do not.
    3 things stick out to me:
    1: If you are not comfortable with change in your day to day activities, you probably shouldn't work here. Goalposts can and do change.
    2. If you are not willing to work in a metrics driven environment you probably shouldn't work here.
    3. If you don't want to be in client services, you probably shouldn't work here.

Advice to Management

Your employees have created closely knit teams in their BU's. Make them all feel like they work together as part of a whole and spend some time and energy on fun and incentives. It's not just about having beautiful offices.

Gerson Lehrman Group Response

Sep 26, 2017 – Head of Talent Development and Learning

We appreciate these thoughtful comments. You’re right: change is a big challenge. But with nearly 1,500 committed, talented employees worldwide, we’re getting it done. We’re proud of the growth we’ve... More

"Decent First Job for 1-2 Years"

Current Employee - Research Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good first job out of college with a 1-2 year learning period.

Cons

Company moving towards a world where junior associates, senior associates and research managers are meant to crank out as much work as possible with management knowing that they will burn out and then be replaced. Team Leaders and VPs have largely been grandfathered in; many of them are poor leaders who benefit from the work of those under them in salary.

Advice to Management

Take the time to individually evaluate TLs and VPs. Remove those who are hurting the company / lazy; it shouldn't be hard to figure this out.

6. "IT"

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

Fast growing, challenging environment, lots of fun and learning

Cons

The company has grown substantially from where it was 5 years ago, there is no Com, it is trending upward!

"Good first job to learn basic skills for short period of time"

Former Employee - Research Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GLG is a good place to learn basic office skills on time management and communication. Employees get experience managing a pipeline of projects under tight deadlines.

Cons

There is no clear path for career progression or role differentiation. Employees feel constant pressure from demanding clients and from managers within GLG. Depending on client segment/team, there is an expectation you respond to emails within 5 minutes of receipt. You will spent around 10 hours in the office and a couple more hours working from home, aside from checking emails every 2 minutes. The hours are long and the work can be tedious and repetitive. There is very little Research done; most of the work is administrative. The company is trying to implement change but does not communicate effectively.

Advice to Management

Continue striving to improve/edit job posting descriptions to attract the correct profile for the job. GLG overstates job responsibilities and misrepresents the role, which inevitably leads to employee dissatisfaction and attrition.

"I Will Never Forgive GLG"

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time

Pros

On the "research" side, GLG employees build skills in account management and corporate communication. There are many smart, kind, talented people at GLG - but everyone quickly realizes that the lucky ones escape as quickly as possible.

Cons

I dreaded waking up in the mornings while I was employed at the Gerson Lehrman Group. When my phone alarm went off, signaling it was time to get ready for another day in hell, my heart sank and I began to panic. I wish I were exaggerating. This company was the root cause of my severe depression, and GLG did not care.

The Work:
    As a fresh college graduate, I walked into my first day of work filled with ambition and optimism. Throughout training, I was led to believe that my job would align with the job I had applied for. Alas, the word "research" was quite the overstatement as I soon realized that I was an administrative bot. For 12-15 hours a day, I managed relationships with stressed out clients working at investment firms, corporations, etc., and my day-to-day work consisted of organizing phone calls, abiding by obscure compliance policies, and being talked down to by upper-management. There is a reason employees are dropping like flies, and the rate at which this is happening is NOT normal, despite what management will tell you. The work is monotonous with no end in sight. GLG's extreme commitment to running lean means that every employee's performance is measured by their willingness to sacrifice all work life balance. I had no life, just work. I'd work late into the night holding cranky experts and clients accountable to their meetings, with no actual opportunities for learning or growth. All of this is bad in itself, but the story worsens when you add in the poisonous culture and politics that plague GLG.

The Culture:
    GLG does not care about the mental well-being of its employees. When you walk into the office, you can stare into any employee's eyes and immediately share a moment of solidarity over the soulless oppression slowly starting to consume our personal lives, the remnants of the intelligent starry eyed ingénues turned exploited labor, controlled by shame, finding hope in the shared secret that we were all dreaming of escape. I lost my innocence at GLG.

The Fake Reviews:
    Look at the Glassdoor ratings trend for GLG. It's in sharp decline. This is sad, because it's obvious that HR is encouraging employees to post generic, positive reviews to keep the rating above a 1.5.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, and don't take advantage of new grads with misleading job descriptions and unrealistic work-life balance expectations. New grads likely don't have full-time job experiences for comparison, and it's not right to work them to the bone like this. TRUST the employees you hire, so that you don't have to breathe down their neck for every little metric and micromanage. Also, hold team leaders and VPs to a standard for work-life balance. You should reprimand managers who do not encourage a healthy separation of work and personal life. It should not be a crime to take a lunch break, yet everyone feels nervous to take more than 15 minutes to eat due to the unnecessarily tense environment. To top it off, the HR department in Austin is awful and does not take employee concerns seriously.

The following advice is for anyone thinking about applying, or anyone who is currently suffering at GLG: think about how much you need this springboard for your next opportunity. If this is your only option, then you may have to bite the bullet to pay the bills - if you have other opportunities, take them. Know your worth, and don't let this poisonous company ruin your ambition and self-confidence.

"This is bad."

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I hated it.
    We got pizza sometimes.

Cons

Everyone is like a preppy middle schooler. I didn't get to anything that wasn't officially part of my job. Trolling Linkedin gets hella boring after a while. People talk on the phone in the bathroom and it makes it really hard to go. Management sits right by the door and judges you for leaving before 6:00, but they really don't care if you're on netflix all day.

Advice to Management

Don't work here.

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Strategy Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Strategy Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A terrific place to build ones career with strong long-term prospects. To wit: accelerating growth overall, growth in different markets and geographies, strong product and service posture, excellent compliance architecture, great talent across the board, and increasingly transparent and communicative.

Cons

Building (but not fully achieved) a long term vision for talent development and career paths. Sometimes retains people who are strong contributors but have bad habits, which can demotivate junior employees. Needs additional training for lower- and mid-level managers. Let managers manage - don't expect them to be individual contributors and excellent managers simultaneously.

Advice to Management

After a lull following the financial crisis and a good deal of change in response, it's time to focus on change management and training. Communication has improved considerably, with regular town halls and office visits. Keep those up. Increase your focus on training lower- and mid-level employees to be culture champions and great managers. Meet regularly with a cross section of employees at those levels to solicit new ideas and reinforce the changes, culture, and expectations across the company.