Getaround Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

4.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sam Zaid

1. "Fast-paced, tons of potential for personal growth"

Current Employee - Claims in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Claims in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- there are many opportunities for advancement
    - the work is fast paced and challenging
    - management is responsive and attentive to employees' needs

Cons

- there can be in-fighting, as the teams are very small and personalities clash
    - cross-team coordination can suffer at times

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the long-term vision!

Getaround Response

Apr 12, 2017 – Head of People

Thanks for the feedback! Please let our People Team know how we can continue to improve or email me directly at pavle@getaround.com.

"The Best Team Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive team members.
    Empowerment. The company is small and everyone can make a difference.
    Every day presents new challenges

Cons

This is a very demanding (and rewarding) job

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love the leadership here.

"Exciting and Energizing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're at a very exciting time right now in the company and there is a lot going on. Everyone is pulling for the same goal which really makes one feel like part of a team. I haven't been here long but I feel like I'm making a difference both internally for my team and externally with our mission of getting cars off the road. it's hard work but ultimately feels very rewarding.

Cons

A full weekend off without some kind of work interruption is unheard of but that's what you would expect in a start up.

"Great mission, great culture."

Current Employee - Community in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company's vision is clear and very tangible.
    - Great company culture. Hiring based on culture fit is important across the board and the team is very close knit
    - Great office perks and benefits (lots of dogs, all the time)
    - CEO is brilliant, personable and a great driver for the company

Cons

- Typical growing pains of a small company growing quickly
    - Team is small and lean - workload can feel overwhelming at times

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Nothing's perfect and the company is growing really well. Hiring has improved a lot and the team has a great feel right now.

"A place to grow."

Current Employee - Claims/Safety Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Claims/Safety Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started at Getaround, I was fresh out of college with no experience in tech or the working world. I had always been passionate about cars (I thumbed through AutoTrader often), but I didn't know yet how much value I would get (and continue to receive) when I started working here. Getaround became, for me, a place where I would go on to get a real, valuable education. It is a fast paced, creative, and inspiring environment. I have been constantly challenged and asked to attack new issues that are vital to the company.

As I matured in my role, I have been able to advance in my career. In the time I've spent at Getaround, I have gone from a intern handling odds and ends to a Claims/Safety Manager handling major cases, drafting important policy/process, and have had the opportunities to grow my skills as a manager and leader. I am not a stand alone example of this either.

Transportation is a true pillar of the modern society. Getaround is solving that problem. It's motivating to know the actions you are taking everyday are going to really disrupt the world as we know it. This is a vision that is shared by the whole team especially in leadership.

The leadership team at Getaround is very invested in the vision of the company. No job is too small to get this idea across the finish line. When our support team needed help for several months, every single member of the founding team was on the front lines taking support calls at night and over the weekends.

On weekends and late at night, you can always find a member of the leadership team online or at the office working on this or that initiative. Though Getaround has been around for 5 years, the pace, dedication and ferocity of a start up trying to really have an impact on the world has not left any part of the leadership team which has translated to the rest of the organization as a whole.

Getaround for me is a family. Like all families, there are times of strife, stress, and hardship; however, there is no one else you'd rather face those adversities with. The people are dedicated and deliberate, eager to change the way the world uses cars.

Cons

Like all start ups, there is room for growth.

Cross team coordination is still being perfected, and it can be frustrating at times. Leadership has started to combat this by identifying key hires in important areas of the organization to increase the level of communication across teams.

Perfect can become the enemy of good. At times, I feel like the perfect solution may be out of scope, and a practical solution may exist that isn't as involved and may be a better path forward. There can be slowing in process when this occurs which can cause frustration; however, the end result is often longer lasting, stronger, and worth the effort.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow.

Over the four years I've spent at Getaround, I feel I have had the opportunity to see management change and grow both professionally and personally. Whether this was the way they interacted with employees or conducted their own initiatives, the common theme has been growth. Like any person who is being honest and real, there are peaks and valleys, new challenges and the ones you've seen before. I would urge the leadership team to continue to embrace challenge, and continue their paths of growth as Getaround continues.

"I relocated across the country for Getaround to join the Engineering team. It has been exciting for last 3 years."

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- amazing business model that really works. This is not a start-up "hoping" to make or sell something. It has real revenue and customers and is growing quickly
    - everyone at Getaround believes in the vision of car sharing everywhere
    - company spends a lot of time on company culture.
    - a real open door policy.....the CEO is the most approachable person in the company
    - almost everyone takes advantage of the work-from-home option
    - company communication is well executed with many avenues to share information and a regular company All-Hands every two weeks
    - engineering is pretty interesting and challenging as it touches many different stacks and technologies including mobile, infrastructure and hardware
    - a fun group of people with very few egos

Cons

- never quite got used to the "No Nesting" policy but with flexible schedules, it makes more sense
    - no office manager means that some tasks go unfilled or managers are forced to do more admin work
    - meetings sometimes dont start on time which is inefficient

Advice to Management

- focus on the bigger picture and leave the details to staff
    - need to start thinking like a growth company rather than scrappy start-up

"Best place I've worked!"

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at a few startups. This is probably one of the best places I've worked.

Amazing team with a great culture where people actually care about what they do. Everyone brings a work hard, play hard attitude and gets along very well. Very flat organization structure where all departments collaborate daily and you can really make an impact.

There aren't a lot of politics and not much interoffice drama, although about a year ago there were a few difficult personalities that caused a lot of interoffice strife.

The office environment is very open and everyone gets top-of-the-line hardware and a headset. It's really a great place to work and really rewarding--but practice your foosball if you plan on joining!

Cons

Early on the leadership were too soft on prima donna employees who were not top performers. It negatively affected team morale and should have been dealt with swiftly.

Otherwise policies aren't always clear but that seems to have improved. It's a startup so you there's not a lot of handholding when you're new to the team. Because of the very collaborative work-style, the office environment can be noisy at times.

Advice to Management

Protect the team and be decisive with people that are not a culture fit.

9. "Good experience for interns"

Current Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Give you lots of responsibilities and an opportunity to make a splash. Software engineering interns got a lot of assignments that were shipped and big parts of the website; marketing interns received a wide variety of things to do that immediately affected the success of the company.

Cons

Lots of down time; the provided food was sometimes not amazing; other than that, the cons are few

Advice to Management

Be more prompt in communicating

"Fast-paced startup, exciting work environment"

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Getaround has been an incredible learning experience. With less than 100 employees, the company offers everyone the chance to work cross-functionally, to build new skills, and to explore diverse interest areas.

My coworkers are some of the smartest people I've had the chance to work with, and it is the opportunity to work with these talented individuals that keeps me at Getaround. The culture here is inclusive, warm, and supportive.

Perks include:
    - Passionate and smart coworkers
    - Flexible work hours
    - Generous monthly driving credit

Cons

Like any startup, Getaround has its growing pains. Working with upper management can often be difficult and time-consuming, but I've seen significant improvements in management practices during my time here. The work here is demanding but also incredibly rewarding.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, be proactive in responding to feedback, and keep up the good work!

11. "Brand Ambassador"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Getaround as a contractor

Pros

Competitive pay and bonus package.
    Monthly driving credit.
    Very tech-savvy, smart and friendly colleagues that offer their support.
    Promotional events in cool venues and free beer.

Cons

Very little to no opportunity to advance career beyond assigned role.
    Senior management members don't show any willingness to interact with staff on the frontline and in the trenches.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for aspiring canvassing marketing reps to advance their careers with Getaround.
    Enroll Jessica for Toastmasters to raise her public speaking skills.

Getaround Response

Mar 29, 2017 – Head of People

Thanks for your feedback! As the Head of People, I want to ensure everyone at Getaround has a positive experience. If you want to share some ideas on how we can make your time with Getaround even ... More