Getaround Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Sam Zaid

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best place I've worked!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at a few startups. This is probably one of the best places I've worked.

Amazing team with a great culture where people actually care about what they do. Everyone brings a work hard, play hard attitude and gets along very well. Very flat organization structure where all departments collaborate daily and you can really make an impact.

There aren't a lot of politics and not much interoffice drama, although about a year ago there were a few difficult personalities that caused a lot of interoffice strife.

The office environment is very open and everyone gets top-of-the-line hardware and a headset. It's really a great place to work and really rewarding--but practice your foosball if you plan on joining!

Cons

Early on the leadership were too soft on prima donna employees who were not top performers. It negatively affected team morale and should have been dealt with swiftly.

Otherwise policies aren't always clear but that seems to have improved. It's a startup so you there's not a lot of handholding when you're new to the team. Because of the very collaborative work-style, the office environment can be noisy at times.

Advice to Management

Protect the team and be decisive with people that are not a culture fit.

"Great transportation startup with a few road bumps"

I have been working at Getaround full-time

Pros

- Great company goals and mission to bring car sharing to the masses.
    - Company has clear short and long term objectives. Ideas, developments, and progress are very transparent.
    - Perfect environment for people who work well in teams but are also self starters.
    - Some rewarding remote work opportunities once you prove you are effective offsite.
    - Nice office environment with some nice perks and really great energetic team of employees.
    - Diverse culture with team outings and positive office activities like hack-a-thons and happy hours.
    - Not a "bro" party but knows how to party.
    - Some really fun cars available to drive!

Cons

- Young management who learns as they go, but lends to more collaboration rather than "god" style top down politics.
    - Raises and promotions are rare since the executives don't seem to have a set schedule of reviewing employees.
    - "No nesting" seating policy makes some employees feel like a lack of place in the office and lends to the idea of temporary existence.
    - Company went through some growing pains, but seems to have streamlined priorities now. Glad I weathered the storm!

Advice to Management

- Learn how to delegate and get out of the way of progress.
    - Develop better on-boarding and give employees a better sense of belonging.
    - Connect better with employees and make them feel like they aren't just tools to enact your vision/dream.

"I relocated across the country for Getaround to join the Engineering team. It has been exciting for last 3 years."

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- amazing business model that really works. This is not a start-up "hoping" to make or sell something. It has real revenue and customers and is growing quickly
    - everyone at Getaround believes in the vision of car sharing everywhere
    - company spends a lot of time on company culture.
    - a real open door policy.....the CEO is the most approachable person in the company
    - almost everyone takes advantage of the work-from-home option
    - company communication is well executed with many avenues to share information and a regular company All-Hands every two weeks
    - engineering is pretty interesting and challenging as it touches many different stacks and technologies including mobile, infrastructure and hardware
    - a fun group of people with very few egos

Cons

- never quite got used to the "No Nesting" policy but with flexible schedules, it makes more sense
    - no office manager means that some tasks go unfilled or managers are forced to do more admin work
    - meetings sometimes dont start on time which is inefficient

Advice to Management

- focus on the bigger picture and leave the details to staff
    - need to start thinking like a growth company rather than scrappy start-up

"Great mission, great culture."

Current Employee - Community in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company's vision is clear and very tangible.
    - Great company culture. Hiring based on culture fit is important across the board and the team is very close knit
    - Great office perks and benefits (lots of dogs, all the time)
    - CEO is brilliant, personable and a great driver for the company

Cons

- Typical growing pains of a small company growing quickly
    - Team is small and lean - workload can feel overwhelming at times

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Nothing's perfect and the company is growing really well. Hiring has improved a lot and the team has a great feel right now.

"A place to grow."

Current Employee - Claims/Safety Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Claims/Safety Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started at Getaround, I was fresh out of college with no experience in tech or the working world. I had always been passionate about cars (I thumbed through AutoTrader often), but I didn't know yet how much value I would get (and continue to receive) when I started working here. Getaround became, for me, a place where I would go on to get a real, valuable education. It is a fast paced, creative, and inspiring environment. I have been constantly challenged and asked to attack new issues that are vital to the company.

As I matured in my role, I have been able to advance in my career. In the time I've spent at Getaround, I have gone from a intern handling odds and ends to a Claims/Safety Manager handling major cases, drafting important policy/process, and have had the opportunities to grow my skills as a manager and leader. I am not a stand alone example of this either.

Transportation is a true pillar of the modern society. Getaround is solving that problem. It's motivating to know the actions you are taking everyday are going to really disrupt the world as we know it. This is a vision that is shared by the whole team especially in leadership.

The leadership team at Getaround is very invested in the vision of the company. No job is too small to get this idea across the finish line. When our support team needed help for several months, every single member of the founding team was on the front lines taking support calls at night and over the weekends.

On weekends and late at night, you can always find a member of the leadership team online or at the office working on this or that initiative. Though Getaround has been around for 5 years, the pace, dedication and ferocity of a start up trying to really have an impact on the world has not left any part of the leadership team which has translated to the rest of the organization as a whole.

Getaround for me is a family. Like all families, there are times of strife, stress, and hardship; however, there is no one else you'd rather face those adversities with. The people are dedicated and deliberate, eager to change the way the world uses cars.

Cons

Like all start ups, there is room for growth.

Cross team coordination is still being perfected, and it can be frustrating at times. Leadership has started to combat this by identifying key hires in important areas of the organization to increase the level of communication across teams.

Perfect can become the enemy of good. At times, I feel like the perfect solution may be out of scope, and a practical solution may exist that isn't as involved and may be a better path forward. There can be slowing in process when this occurs which can cause frustration; however, the end result is often longer lasting, stronger, and worth the effort.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow.

Over the four years I've spent at Getaround, I feel I have had the opportunity to see management change and grow both professionally and personally. Whether this was the way they interacted with employees or conducted their own initiatives, the common theme has been growth. Like any person who is being honest and real, there are peaks and valleys, new challenges and the ones you've seen before. I would urge the leadership team to continue to embrace challenge, and continue their paths of growth as Getaround continues.

"Exciting and Energizing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're at a very exciting time right now in the company and there is a lot going on. Everyone is pulling for the same goal which really makes one feel like part of a team. I haven't been here long but I feel like I'm making a difference both internally for my team and externally with our mission of getting cars off the road. it's hard work but ultimately feels very rewarding.

Cons

A full weekend off without some kind of work interruption is unheard of but that's what you would expect in a start up.

"The Best Team Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive team members.
    Empowerment. The company is small and everyone can make a difference.
    Every day presents new challenges

Cons

This is a very demanding (and rewarding) job

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love the leadership here.

"Exciting times as Getaround smooths out kinks and speeds up expansion."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Getaround full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company's vision is noble and easy to get behind.

- The people are eclectic with varied backgrounds and interests. Everyone is smart and passionate, but no one takes themselves too seriously.

- The growth potential is huge, though some kinks need to be worked out before the hockey stick graph.

- The pace is frenetic. Lots of things are still being figured out so expect lots of small course corrections, and maybe a few big ones. This is par for the course when you are creating a brand new business model and it can be very exciting.

- The amount of work and scope of responsibilities can be challenging. But if you enjoy the challenge, this environment will do wonders for your personal growth.

- The culture is work hard, play hard. A lot of fun will be had.

- Foosball level of play is high.

Cons

- Work/life balance can be demanding. Though this is partially appeased by the flexible work hours and work-from-home options.

- Teams sometimes feel at odds with other teams. This is often due to breakdowns in cross team communications. This was improving though not completely fixed while I was at the company.

- Perks are just okay.

9. "Great Opportunity, Evolving Culture"

I have been working at Getaround (More than a year)

Pros

Getaround has been an exceptional place to work. We are not only helping  the environment by reducing the amount of cars on the road, but I also feel I’m making a positive impact on my career and professional growth. All of our teams are made up of seasoned professionals who you normally wouldn’t get to interact with at a larger company. At Getaround, we are challenged daily, and are encouraged to think outside the box. We are building something amazing here, and I am happy to be a part of it.

Cons

Employee perks could be improved.

"Fast-paced startup, exciting work environment"

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Getaround has been an incredible learning experience. With less than 100 employees, the company offers everyone the chance to work cross-functionally, to build new skills, and to explore diverse interest areas.

My coworkers are some of the smartest people I've had the chance to work with, and it is the opportunity to work with these talented individuals that keeps me at Getaround. The culture here is inclusive, warm, and supportive.

Perks include:
    - Passionate and smart coworkers
    - Flexible work hours
    - Generous monthly driving credit

Cons

Like any startup, Getaround has its growing pains. Working with upper management can often be difficult and time-consuming, but I've seen significant improvements in management practices during my time here. The work here is demanding but also incredibly rewarding.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, be proactive in responding to feedback, and keep up the good work!