Gexa Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Landrum

1. "Customer Care"

I worked at Gexa Energy part-time

Pros

It was great being in the retail electricity business and not having to work Saturday evenings nor Sundays.

Cons

The pay starts off at $12.50 or higher now. The bonus range from $500-$2800.

Advice to Management

Pay fairly to maintain hard-working and loyal employees.

2. "There are much better energy companies to work for in Houston"

I worked at Gexa Energy full-time

Pros

There are a lot of talented, smart people throughout the company.

Cons

There's an expectation that the corporate values only apply to employees.

Advice to Management

Rewarding bad management and condoning unethical behavior at the expense of your employees and customers because they are high performers is no way to run a business, even in a deregulated market. With everything happing in our current political landscape, consumers are choosing brands based on what they stand for, not just level of service and pricing plans.

"Customer service"

I worked at Gexa Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was full time, they had plenty company outings

Cons

I was there less than a year and went through 3 different training courses (with no choice) without any raises. They do coachings every week just to tell you what you're doing wrong. My supervisor told me I needed to get my sales up at times when there was nothing to offer, which was impossible to do. Also I was giving the late shift which I got off at 8 and it wasn't a big deal since I was told I could submit a request for schedule change, submitted that several times and was told that i couldn't change because its based off company needs, when they study hiring new people on the early shift

5. "Delinquency analyst"

Pros

Good benefits not the best

Cons

Management thinks a college degree is absolute.

Advice to Management

Look for management that do not marginalize their employees m.b micky

"Hostile toward innovation."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gexa Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There has been a lot of financial success here in recent years. The company was acquired by a very large, well-resourced organization. Pay is good. Bonuses are going around. Projects are being funded.

Cons

There is a culture of arrogance advancing downward from leadership that is chilling operational agility. The result is that, increasingly, we are hiring and retaining highly paid, experienced professionals to turn the screws (to serve entry-level functions) and leaders to guide every turn (to be micromanagers). As so many companies do, Gexa has become fat and satisfied with itself.

Advice to Management

Business success is bad for business. Like a diet, if you intend to remain successful, you can never quit. Every influx of talent, every new generation of novices and leaders are the people who will make ot break it. Stay focused.

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Business Account Specialist
    Current Employee - Business Account Specialist

I have been working at Gexa Energy full-time

Pros

Family oriented and everyone is easily approachable. Even contractors are treated as regular employees and are encouraged to participate in company functions.

Cons

The pay is conservative in my opinion. However, it does pay the bills.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Dead-end job in an office building"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Gexa Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not too much to report here. I worked with some really great, hard-working people there. Operations was able to do a lot with so very little in the way of IT and management support. Really opened my eyes to what kind of organization I want to be a part of.

Cons

Where to start? Top down culture of fear and intimidation. "You're lucky to have your job" is something I can clearly recall hearing a few times. Management will throw you one of their projects that they slept on right before the deadline and then have you written up for not completing it on time. Management is selected not by their merit, but how long they have been there. Forget about promotions, as the entrenched, inept, management has mastered the art of passing the buck to keep you where you are. Some of the laziest and most grossly negligent people I have ever worked for. Company is always taking huge losses, so forget the bonus or raise.

Advice to Management

Clean house. You need to administer anonymous surveys for every employee in every department regarding their immediate supervisor. If an entire department doesn't trust their supervisor, or they find that person to be lazy or inept, write that supervisor up for a change. Also, for the love of God, get a proper IT development staff if you ever want any of the chronic and crippling issues to go away.

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Gexa Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best, hard working, and genuine people you'll meet. Inter-departmental culture is good; people work together and care about each other. Great place to learn and grow a career.

Cons

Top down culture of fear, lack of top-down communication, lack of work/life balance, unreasonable expectations with lack of resources, no flex-schedules, lower level employees held accountable for leadership poor decision making, poor pay for industry standards/lack of advancement

Advice to Management

Place value in employees and their contributions as individuals. Change comes from the top.

10. "Never going back"

Former Employee - Customer Care Lead in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Care Lead in Stafford, TX

I worked at Gexa Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with directly and my supervisor.

Cons

Lack of teamwork amongst management, favoritism, pay for Team Lead below average.

"Tedious, repetitive, verbatim, boring"

Pros

able to earn bonuses based off QA scores of 85% and up. Or earning 40-50 sales in a month

Cons

Watch your back! The managers are not your friends and very high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

offer more opportunities for sales floor