Ghafari Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Kouhaila G. Hammer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"People oriented and technologically sound."

I have been working at Ghafari Associates full-time

Pros

Very knowledgeable and friendly staff. Here you are more than just a seat filler, your purpose here is clear. They take their technology capabilities seriously, always looking for better more efficient ways to work.

Cons

We could use more connections between our internal programs for more information sharing and collaboration between offices and teams, but it looks like some improvements are already underway and we are currently moving to the first phase of improved connectivity.... I'm excited to see this.

Mar 3, 2017 – Response Team

Thanks for pointing this out! We are excited too. We recognize the need for improvement and have just kicked off a few projects to address these issues!

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ghafari Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work on impressive projects with very talented group of engineers and architects. Company does have a family-type feel and unlike many other companies, upper management is very good about discussing future plans individually and company-wide.

Cons

Bit of a disconnect between Chicago and Dearborn offices can occassionally lead to issues with corporate decision making. PM training for younger arch/engr would certainly be beneficial for retention

Advice to Management

As far as Chicago management, some of the best I have worked for. I had complete trust in the management, which gave me confidence in my position, as well as pride in the work we were doing.

Jun 15, 2017 – Response Team

Thank you so much for the great feedback! Good luck in your new endeavor!

"Poor Management"

I have been working at Ghafari Associates full-time

Pros

The offices have been renovated.

Cons

Poor management. Not a fair environment.

4. "Unfulfilled"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ghafari Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many great people to work with and one really bad apple.

Cons

Not a good place if you are mid-level experienced and raising a family. The company does not offer enough PTO time to balance family and work life. They promote and hire only very young staff that they can work crazy overtime hours (which 5 hours are furloughed per week). Much of the rest of the staff have been there for many years and are stuck in their old ways ("old fashioned") and do not attend to new ideas.

The firms employees (esp. in the architecture department) are notorious for taking credit for other peoples work in front of the client, including other firms.

Advice to Management

Need to engage with staff.

"Could be better with improvements"

Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ghafari Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You get to work on diverse projects which helps in expanding your skill set.
    - The food is great. Snack time in afternoons, Taco Tuesdays, etc.
    - Good learning experience if you choose to take advantage of the opportunity.

Cons

- Low salary and benefits. Compared to other companies around, it could be better.
    - Work week is 45 hours. That's when you get paid for overtime, and its straight time.
    - Below industry standard for holidays and vacations
    - Pay raises are hard to come by

Advice to Management

The pay and benefits could be competitive.
    Also, it would be nice to pay employees whatever hours they work at the client site if the client is billed for those hours. Having the work week at 45 hours does not serve to motivate the employees. Why would they give away 20 free hours a month ?

Jun 15, 2017 – Response Team

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We strive to ensure we are a destination firm for top employees. We are constantly working to improve the overall employee experience and benchmark ourselves... More

"Great place to work with nice people"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ghafari Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good experience, great people. Various projects give different experience. Great team work in Chicago's office. Company has different events to help employees connect and socialize.

Cons

SInce there are multiple projects, some deadlines come close to each other. Different offices should communicate little better with each other.

Advice to Management

More feedback to employees. Project managers could coordinate project deadlines between each other so they wouldn't fall so close.

Mar 28, 2017 – Response Team

This is great feedback, and we agree about the need to improve communication between offices. We are keeping a watchful eye and have made recent investments in communication tools. Skype, the new... More

"Bright Future"

I have been working at Ghafari Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ghafari is a company that is very present, but at the same time looking to and planning for the future. We are in a perpetual growth and expansion state, both at home and abroad, with competitive salary and benefits packages. The company promotes personal growth, development, training and educational opportunities and encourages its' employees being a part of and making a difference in their communities. We are provided with comfortable work environments and necessary resources.

Cons

Forty-five hours per week being the standard workweek, as opposed to most companies' standard being forty. Not recognizing the day after Thanksgiving as a paid Holiday.

Advice to Management

In the spirit of One Ghafari, we should incorporate company-wide social events, i.e. Taco Tuesday, company picnic, etc... These could be low-cost events that would help the employees become more united as one company, especially with as many of us as there are that work on project teams from different offices.

Mar 13, 2017 – Response Team

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We are thrilled that you enjoy building your career with us! Your ideas on how to better unite offices to serve "One Ghafari" are great! We will refer them... More

"Great office, culture and environment"

I worked at Ghafari Associates full-time

Pros

I don't quite understand all of the negative reviews for the Chicago office because that is where I worked as well. The entire company as a whole is a wonderful entity to be a part of, Chicago included. I feel that Ghafari and especially the Chicago office, have a wonderful and diverse group of talented individuals that many can not only learn from but also enjoy working alongside, no matter if you're a part of the Architecture, Engineering, Administrative or Management group. That being said, following are just a few things that you can expect from Ghafari....family oriented, global company, cares about their employees, willing to keep up, if not exceed, their competitors in regards to employee benefits and projects, great group of employees that not only are your colleagues but quickly become great friends as well.
    It's a "work hard and play hard" environment that understands the importance of getting the job done but also knows how to enjoy themselves at the end of a busy day with various morale and relationship building events such as either company sponsored softball games, happy hours or various events that are going on in the city. I can also add that the views from the office and the convenient location on Michigan Ave. definitely doesn't hurt either!

Cons

If possible, better scheduling of various project deadlines so they allow for more flexibility.

Advice to Management

Keep up to date on employee feedback, may it be in an informal or formal manner, it helps to give the employees their voice.
    Keep doing what you're doing...praise the great employees from top to bottom. We all need to understand it takes a lot of hard work from everyone, at every level, to create and keep a company successful such as Ghafari.

Mar 6, 2017 – Response Team

Feedback from this site, and other surveys has been critical to our better understanding where to focus our energy and improving the organization. We so appreciate the time you took to share with us!

"Great firm to work for."

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ghafari Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

World class design firm that also focuses on being a world class business.

Cons

Not sure if it's a con, but I need to bring my A game everyday.

Jun 15, 2017 – Response Team

Thank you for taking the time to recognize our efforts towards our Vision 2020. It's great to hear you sense the momentum we are building and are motivated to bring your A game! Let's do this!... More

"Architecture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ghafari Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers to work with. A lot of talented staff back then!

Cons

Salary could be a lot better. Some competition out there offers a lot more

Jun 15, 2017 – Response Team

Thank you! We do have the best people and glad you enjoyed the team during your time here. We are constantly working to improve the overall employee experience and benchmark ourselves across our... More