Ghirardelli Chocolate Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ghirardelli Chocolate President & CEO Martin Thompson
Martin Thompson

Pros
  • I have the best work/life balance I've ever had in my career (in 9 reviews)

• Fun fast paced environment and everyone is happy because we sell chocolate and ice cream (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance, divided culture, less opportunity for personal growth compared company's growth (in 7 reviews)

• There was very limited office space (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Job I Have Had So Far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, one of the best on-boarding programs I have ever experienced, friendly office, chocolate everywhere, great employee discount, love the employee/manager relationships. I feel like management wants to make sure you are happy being here and really give you the opportunity for growth. The newly added fitness classes are a good bonus as well.

Cons

There is chocolate everywhere, I really wish they offered Kaiser for Medical.

Advice to Management

Only thing I would ask is to look into providing a Kaiser medical plan for employees.

Jul 18, 2016 – Recruiting

Thanks so much for your feedback! We really appreciate it and always take every piece of advice seriously and do our best to apply it!

2. "Problems begin with poor management"

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time

Pros

...Chocolate.
    There are *some* friendly, passionate, good people to work with.
    It's an ok company to quickly join and leave if using it as a stepping stone to a better place.
    Brand recognition.

Cons

Upper management and even the CEO care only about short-term profits leading to poor decisions and unrealistic targets. Yet upper management gets to spend $$$$ on high-end, luxury cars with company $.
    Promotions are NOT based on performance and metrics but are instead awarded by favoritism.
    Certain groups, e.g. Finance have very high turnover and low morale partly due to inexperienced middle-management. Also leads to no opportunity or effort given to employee career development (focus is on short-term objectives only).
    Average to low pay.
    Cramped office, promise to expand to new building for several years but no action.

Advice to Management

Culture needs serious change. Good employees are hard to come by and to keep.

3. "Its great for young ones"

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time

Pros

-pays semi well
    -semi great team

Cons

-managment doesn't listen to the employess
    -hardly any teamwork

Mar 15, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for your comments and input to make improvements!

5. "Ghirardelli - a great company producing quality product"

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I consider myself fortunate to have become a member of a company that has a strong brand and history, while promoting growth and innovation. The company speaks daily to their core values, which enhances the desire to implement them not only at work, but in life in general. As a company, they care as much about their coworkers as their guests. And, there's ice cream and chocolate!

Cons

Just saying "no" to ice cream and chocolate.

Mar 15, 2017 – Recruiting

We're so glad you feel this way and will continue to keep it up!

6. "Ghirardelli Disney Springs"

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time

Pros

Flexible time
    Disney benefits
    50% off merchandise
    Helath insurance offered
    Paid time off/sick days
    Free coffee or icecream for breaks
    401k

Cons

Low hourly
    Employee turnover is high
    Management style is not good
    Far parking
    Stressful

Mar 15, 2017 – Recruiting

Thank you for input, we truly value your advice and comments! We strive to take the information and make changes.

"Thick glass ceiling and company direction lacking"

Pros

Summer hours in San Leandro are nice and really good people within nearly all corporate functions. It's a strong brand and you see a great deal of pride in the brand from all employees.

Cons

Really disappointing and concerning that Ghirardelli is a brand that is positioned primarily at women yet there are very few women in leadership roles within the company. Many examples of capable women getting passed over for less capable men. So many talented women have left in the last several years. Another one gave notice this week. Doesn't seem to have been noticed by executives and certainly has not been addressed.

And there is a disconnect between the CEO and executives and the rest of the employees. The corporate office has been overcrowded for years yet nothing of substance has been done to address it. There is lip service to it in company meetings but nothing happens.

Also, seems that the company overly focuses on sales, often at the expense of profits (e.g., spend $1.50 to bring in $1.00 of sales). Don’t get the feeling that the CEO fully understands his P&L below the sales line.

Advice to Management

Start really listening to employees concerns and take real action to address them. Focus on the glass ceiling – work to retain talented women and recruit talented women. Figure out how to retain talent on the retail side of the business in light of the recent exodus. Figure out the office dilemma this year.

Mar 15, 2017 – Recruiting

Thank you for your comments. We value all input and strive to make things better and take concerns into real consideration to place action against them. We can't get better unless we hear from you ... More

8. "part time job"

Former Employee - Fountaineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Fountaineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its fun to work at the bar/fountain/whatever you call where you make the orders... when its not busy.

Cons

when its not busy, they cut ppl's hours because everything is based on revenue. some managers play favoritism

Advice to Management

no advice, because most of the good managers left already, or about to leave....

Mar 15, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for your comments! We read them and take action against them!

9. "Second Career"

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time

Pros

After retiring from a much larger company, I truly appreciate the family feel of Ghirardelli. The CEO and VPs are visible, approachable and they know who you are. The company demonstrates that they values their employees. Opportunities for advancement is readily available.

Cons

Seasonal business little time off during the holidays

Advice to Management

Invest more in system technology to keep up with Ghirardelli's growth

Mar 15, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks so much for your note! We value every piece of information and feedback!

10. "Great company and culture"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recently hired on in management position. This company has shown me that family values and the mantra that people matter are not just a slogan, but the real deal here. After working for a number of previous employers that had very poor training programs, I was blown away with how much this company invests in onboarding an training new hires. I was introduced to chocolate camp and went to chocolate school where you learn what the company is all about and why it is the premier brand of chocolate on the market. The people at corporate have been supportive, pleasant and respectful to me.
    Other organizations could learn a lot with how this company treats it's people. Benefits are outstanding and pay is competitive. It was reported that a 2016 independent survey validates that employees feel far and above that it's a great place to work as ranked in comparison with other organizations of this size. This ranked everything from job satisfaction, pay and overall working conditions.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons since I am very new here and the experience has been great.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job! I love this company.

Mar 15, 2017 – Recruiting

So happy to hear you enjoyed your on-boarding and new hire orientation! We strive to focus in this area!

11. "Great company, great brand, great employees"

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time

Pros

The company is filled with passionate, talented people who take pride in their work. Everyone I have encountered with has great work experience and is well-qualified for their job. I have the best work/life balance I've ever had in my career.

Cons

While the company is headquartered in the Bay Area, the culture and benefits are not at all in line with a state of the art tech company that you typically find in the Bay Area. Personally, I don't find this to be discouraging, but I think it can catch new employees of guard at first.

Advice to Management

At times the day-to-day operations can feel a bit too formal. We are essentially selling happiness to consumers worldwide. Let's not take ourselves too serious and celebrate the fun that comes with manufacturing and selling great tasting chocolate!

Mar 15, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks so much for your feedback and note! We value every ounce of input!